April fools... false pregnancies.. does it offend you?

ukgirl23

Pregnant with a rainbow
Reaction score
There is a girl on my facebook ranting off about how it is sick to pretend you are pregnant for April fools... She says it's not fair on ladies trying to get pregnant or have lost a baby ect...

I tried a long time to get pregnant this time and honestly April fools pregnancy pranks do not offend me and I wonder if it would offend ladies here as I know many here were in TTC a while first?

This girl told me last week she thought she was pregnant then said PHEW when she found out she wasnt... to me!! a pregnant lady who took a while to conceive! Surely that's worse?

Thoughts? :wacko:

Last year a few people had done that April fools on my Facebook, and I was still recovering (emotionally) from our miscarriage earlier in the year, but it didnt bother me in the slightest - and I was VERY touchy!

i think it can hurt alot of people if they are happy bout the announcement and then hear its a joke...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I had a friend who played the pregnancy prank on April Fools 2 years in a row & her bf fell for it both times, quite funny actually.

Ive Miscariages and had a late first tri/early second tri loss and it doesnt bother me but thats my personal choice,There is a girl pregnant on my fb who last year pretended to be pregnant April fools last year,This year now she really is pregnant she had a massive rant at those who did the exact same thing she did last year.....pregnancy brain eh lol.

Looks like I'm in the minority here but honestly - yes, I do find it offensive. I think that you have to be pretty immature to find it a hilarious joke to pretend that you're pregnant to the rest of the world, and I also think that it's extremely insensitive to those who might have had issues. We have not had any losses and thankfully we only tried for a year for our little one, even with PCOS - so it is not for any of those reasons - but to be honest even before TTC I used to think that it was ridiculous. I don't get upset by posts like that, just feel that it's really a bit daft that people do it. No-one that I know has ever fallen for it anyway! Xx

I don't like the idea I just think its mean same as how saying o my water broke as a joke is not funny to me, people Need to think about how it makes outhers fell

Defiantly find it offensive not for me but for friends that I have that have had stillbirths, cot death, premature babies and miscarriages. Some people long to be pregnant, to feel their baby kick or hold them them again taking in all their features but that has been cruelly snatched for them. So to 'joke' about being pregnant isn't funny at all, in fact it's insensitive and shows immaturity imo x

I have had a loss and struggled to get a bun. I don't find it offensive but don't find it funny either. I don't feel I have the right to find it offensive as I don't have the monopoly on pregnancy, but I must admit one of my fb friends did it and I thought how predictable!

We are the lucky ones who really are pregnant! Xxx

I don't find it funny but I don't find it offensive either. The people who do it arent doing it to purposely offend anyone so no harm I think

I don't find it funny, even tho this year I must admit it didn't bother me, obviously the reason being I am pregnant but I have pcos and had a struggle lttc and it wasn't nice to see people joking about it the years before now. I think for people who don't struggle with ttc wouldn't see the harm in posting stuff like that its only ladies who have been through the struggle that will x

I find it rather tacky and unoriginal but not really offensive. I suppose that's at least partly due to the fact that I'd never fall for it on or around April 1st. I take almost everything anyone says near that date with a grain of salt. Sometimes there are real announcements of pregnancy, engagement, weddings ect. this time of year but I usually don't believe them until they've continued to stick to their story a week or so later, lol.

I can see how it could be a bit hurtful if I did believe them though. Back when I was TTC, dealing with fertility treatments, blame games and losing babies again and again, year after year after year, pregnancy announcements set of a chain reaction of emotions. Happy for them, sad for me, excited, reminded, impatient, hopeful in some ways, hopeless in others, wishful, guilty ect. All at once and it can go on for days. Or weeks. Or more. I was never really one to get depressed or especially upset about other's announcements, and was generally fairly happy about it but the range and conflict of emotions was still draining. To go through all that and then find out it was fake, a 'joke'.... well, I can see where that would be upsetting. But again, I never believe anyone this time of year so it doesn't bother me. I just roll my eyes and hope that maybe next year they'll come up with something a little less immature and uninspired.

It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but i can't say that i find it funny either. However, i don't believe anyone puts those announcements up to offend anyone, it is just trying for a little humour.
If we had to tip toe around everyone on everything that may or may not have affected someone's life at some point we would never say anything at all!

Now if you were to pretend to someone directly that you were pregnant knowing that they had been TTC, suffered a loss etc- that would just be down right wrong.

It's not really funny and kinda unoriginal tbh.
I was ltttc and I can easily see why people would be upset by it just because when you're in that ttc zone your brain doesn't always recognise its a joke and it's upsetting to see someone else on your newsfeed get pregnant.

It doesn't offend me but it does annoy me as I know how hurt some ladies I know have been by it. So many people struggle to conceive, I've seen how hard they have found it to be around pregnant ladies, walk down the baby aisle in the supermarket... I can absolutely see how having someone make a joke about being pregnant would really smart.
I also find it super annoying because every year there are at least 5 ladies who announce fake pregnancies and its just :sleep:

Great question! I don't find it offensive or upsetting, and I have a history of pregnancy-related trauma and miscarriages. Then again, if it was the same day as one of my miscarriages I might react differently.

I think a lot of people look for things to feel offended by when they are unhappy. I get much touchier than normal when I am very stressed, but overall I think very few things in life are genuinely offensive, like bigotry, racism, misogyny and shiny polyester suits.

When a person means well I think I can overlook a misfiring joke.

i nearly done it two years ago, i had found out a few hours earlier i was pregnant, but after losing 3 babies i couldn't face the questions etc if i lost the baby.

I think some people do it in a very attention seeking way, a friend of mine done it last year, seeing as she had a hysterectomy a few months pervious and it wasn't a big secret, it was very very funny watching all the people congratulate her

I don't find it offensive at all...I'm not quite sure why people would...I have had a still birth at 24 weeks which was very traumatic but I don't consider a harmless practical joke either offensive or bad taste.

I don't find it offensive or funny, I think it's a bit over done. No one is going to fall for the same "joke" every year. I do think its a bit of an over reaction to say its offensive. Each persons experience is personal to them, and if someone writing a crap joke on Facebook is offensive, then you need to not have a Facebook as people write offensive stuff all the time. I have serious life limiting mental health problems, but I don't get all het up every time someone calls someone else a nutjob, mad or say things like they are ready to be carted away to a mental hospital. These are all things people say every day that technically if we go by what others find offensive, I should be cracking up about but I don't because its life and no one means any harm.

It's not really funny and kinda unoriginal tbh.
I was ltttc and I can easily see why people would be upset by it just because when you're in that ttc zone your brain doesn't always recognise its a joke and it's upsetting to see someone else on your newsfeed get pregnant.

Why is it upsetting to see someone else announce a pregnancy? Why wouldn't you be happy for other people inspite of your own problems? I'm not being cheeky, I just genuinely don't understand why people are like that. I don't have my mental health, and I can't go out on my own sometimes but I don't begrudge others their own mental contentment. I just accept that this is my struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->