April fools... false pregnancies.. does it offend you?

Honestly, To me I do not find it upsetting in the least bit and I have experienced a loss. However, I do not find it funny at all either. I find it incredibly annoying and as others have said unoriginal.

The fact is, it is April Fools day and there are always people who will do that same prank, year after year. I feel like people shouldn't get offended by those people who are just trying to have some "fun." Not worth the anger. But like I said, it is incredibly annoying to read when you know, oh here so and so goes again saying they are pregnant. :wacko:

It's not really funny and kinda unoriginal tbh.
I was ltttc and I can easily see why people would be upset by it just because when you're in that ttc zone your brain doesn't always recognise its a joke and it's upsetting to see someone else on your newsfeed get pregnant.

Why is it upsetting to see someone else announce a pregnancy? Why wouldn't you be happy for other people inspite of your own problems? I'm not being cheeky, I just genuinely don't understand why people are like that. I don't have my mental health, and I can't go out on my own sometimes but I don't begrudge others their own mental contentment. I just accept that this is my struggle.[/ quote]

I don't think I can verbalise it well enough but ltttc is a heavily emotion burden (not to mention the physical side of it) and whilst you can be very happy for ppl it is also a constant reminder of your struggle when you are blindsided by anouncements on fb.

I have been very fortunate, only ttc for 4 month with each preg and no loss but i do find it silly and a little imature to do the preg april fool. Having said that, seriously, if ur old enough to reproduce you are too old to be playin april fool pranks, its a playground thing. Maybe im just an old grump. :-/

I dont find it upsetting at all. However, I think it depends entirely on the circumstances.

I don't find it either offensive or unfunny - it's an April fools trick for goodness sake :)

I have had losses as explained in my signature and tried to get pregnant for many months, only to then have another loss. What I do find hurtful and upsetting is when someone is trying too hard not to mention pregnancy babies etc around me when they know about my losses - it makes me feel like a victim and ostrichised from 'normal conversation'.

I dont find it offensive as such but it does sting. In the past four and a half years I have seven first trimester loses, my little girl born sleeping at 24+3 in April 2011 and then another six first trimester loses. So some would say we've been through a lot. When someone announces their pregnancy it induces a range of emotions for me, first there is obviously happiness for them, then there is being terrified about what the future may hold for them, then their is sadness for me (totally and completely not wanting to take away their happiness but wanting me to have it too), then I feel guilt for feeling sadness at a happy time and so on. To then find out the range of emotions was all for a joke, would hurt a little I guess.

I am a little more sensitive at this time of year (today marks two weeks until Riley Rae's second birthday) and therefore it is my issue because I know people cant tip-toe around me forever but at the same I wont deny that it does sting.

Having said that, seriously, if ur old enough to reproduce you are too old to be playin april fool pranks, its a playground thing. Maybe im just an old grump. :-/

Maybe I'm a nerd. I LOVE April Fools jokes, just not the annoying, boring, dime a dozen cliche ones. Hearing someone is pregnant/broken-up/engaged/fired ect. is so yawn and predictable. But coming home to find the truck decorated up as a dog and the dog as a truck or having my grass (temp) painted a particularly bright shade of pink always gives me a giggle. Just some simple, unique and harmless jokes. Assuming the clean up isn't too bad of course :winkwink: Granted, it is usually the kids that come up with the fun ones.

You might have a more raw, to the point answer if you asked this in the long term TTC board. I don't mean to offend, but us pregnant women(no matter how long it took us) really can't see their point of view right now. Just my opinion though. I don't find a problem with it, but i am pregnant.

I dont find it offensive just dumb really. It's been done and it old now. Some people need some originality!

I can't say that I find it offensive. I have a friend who's been long term TTC and she gets extremely upset with it every year... But I must add that last year she was TTC with a different man than she is this year so I feel like its really hasn't been that long that her and her husband have been trying, I may be a bit insensitive to her in particular but only because she likes to complain about EVERYTHING so her being upset today isn't any different from yesterday.

I can see where it would be aggravating but not offensive. I remember when we were trying every single time I saw an announcement I had a pang of jealousy but I wasn't offended.

No it doesn't offend me, I was going to announce my pregnancy today as I still havnt done it and I was going to see how many people didn't believe me!! But I didn't, I still like it being a secret on Facebook!

Im not offended by it, I just don't think its funny. I think its immature to joke about something so big. I kind of feel like its saying someone passed away, or any other serious life event , and using it to get attention. Its just annoying.

Why is it upsetting to see someone else announce a pregnancy? Why wouldn't you be happy for other people inspite of your own problems? I'm not being cheeky, I just genuinely don't understand why people are like that. I don't have my mental health, and I can't go out on my own sometimes but I don't begrudge others their own mental contentment. I just accept that this is my struggle.

For me after my miscarriage any time I saw an announcement, heard and announcement or saw a pregnant lady it just reminded me of what I had lost. It wasnt that I wasn't happy for others (eg my aunt announced her pregnancy 6 weeks after my mc and I was v happy for her) but it just reminded me each time that I wasn't pregnant, and brought my loss to the fore of my mind.
I think that can be a reason why many ladies who are ltttc or who have suffered losses get upset. I hope that makes sense? :flower:

Having said that, seriously, if ur old enough to reproduce you are too old to be playin april fool pranks, its a playground thing. Maybe im just an old grump. :-/

Maybe I'm a nerd. I LOVE April Fools jokes, just not the annoying, boring, dime a dozen cliche ones. Hearing someone is pregnant/broken-up/engaged/fired ect. is so yawn and predictable. But coming home to find the truck decorated up as a dog and the dog as a truck or having my grass (temp) painted a particularly bright shade of pink always gives me a giggle. Just some simple, unique and harmless jokes. Assuming the clean up isn't too bad of course :winkwink: Granted, it is usually the kids that come up with the fun ones.

Ok that would probably amuse me a little, comin home to a pink lawn or something. :haha:

Its the oldest april fools day trick in the book. People are so touchy these days, especially now that theres social media out there, and hearing stuff like this is easily accessible. It look a long time to get preggo, and ive also had a miscarraige. It doesnt ofend me in the slightest.

I honestly see no connection as to why someone would be offended.
April Fooler:"Im pregnant...April fools!"
Offended Person: "What?! She made an april fools about being pregnant? How dare she! I miscarried last Month!!"

Um what? Everyone will find SOMETHING to be offended over.... When we were TTC, yes, I would feel envious of ppl who would announce real pregnancies. Was happy for them, just envious. But with this April Fools Day stuff, I just dont see a connection other than someone trying to be offended.

a friend did this to me today told me she was pregnant but April fools she wasn't I was so happy for her too ....it doesnt offend me i think some people are wayyy to sensitive

I don't find it offensive, just kind of stupid! A friend pulled this and her parents were over the moon excited- went out and bought stuff, cried- and then AWKWARD!!! They were upset for a long time. Don't think it was worth it! But if you are going to pull it, just be aware of the consequences!

i find it hilarious, i have that type of sense of humor- its more funny if people believe you even if just for a minute. I dont find it offensive, i had a hard time getting pregnant and lost a baby but if you want to joke about being pregnant- or that your waters broke that should be your own choice without worrying about hurting everyone's feelings

Not funny to me but also not offensive either. But then I have a thick skin. One of my friends wrote a status saying (about another person she knows, not me)... "Thanks for your baby shower invitation...reminds me to take my contraceptive pill. It cracked me up and I commented "Excuse me while I put your invitation for my shower in the trash lol". She sent me a message apologizing but I really wasn't the least bit upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->