Are prams a fashion accessory in the UK?

We spent alot of money in the beginning for our Peg Perego, but I doubt we'll be buying anything else for her. It just seems like a huge amount of money for something that in a few more months she's going to want to have nothing to do with!

:rofl:

Should the prams not last for a long time?? The quinny has the cot bit, car seat and stroller, but i figured the stroller would last until my baby can walk!!

Should the prams not last for a long time?? The quinny has the cot bit, car seat and stroller, but i figured the stroller would last until my baby can walk!!

thats my thinking.... i spent a fortune first time around on sophies pram and in theory it would have done untill she was 3 but it was just too big to push around the shops! This time around i have specific things i want but not for loads of money my OH will be watching :p I want it to be small emough to go in my car somewhere thats not the boot on the days i have my mum with me who has a wheelchair, but if it fits ontop of the wheelchair bonus! :p and also i want it to last from birth right up untill the pip is walking at least.

Hmmm. Apparently I'm not with the masses as I don't care what he's in as long as it moves and is safe! I have two prams, a big travel system that was from birth and a light summer pushchair but sticking in the car. Not quite the minimum necessary technically I suppose for our purposes it is. They're not fancy brands either and they were both fairly cheap.

I don't get paying loads of money for essentially nothing.:shrug:

Yep we're the same. We got a second hand mothercare one and a lightweight stroller.

We couldn't afford to get a brand new one as much as Id have loved too. I remember looking at some of them and longing for them but just couldn't justify it!!

My son is just as happy and comfortable as anyone elses baby is in a designer pram :) I don't feel like I've done wrong to him, we've just done the best for what we can manage

x

i would deffo agree, i wanted on really nice looking one but couldnt afford one.

the reason i have so many is, when i first brought my pram i did not think about it properly and was just like i want that one, so brought loads now to find the best one

Well our travel system was £300 and that was with an isofix base too so more like £240. It was on offer. I expect it to last until Byron can walk too, and hopefully through another baby as well! We may have to pay for one or two replacement parts in that time but if we had to buy a whole new one for a second baby it'd still only be as much as many people's prams.

although i have two, and they were both expensive ones (£400 and £1000 respectively) and we have a little stroller, i didn't see them as a fashion accessory - its just that what i wanted and our budget was fine for them, and of course, i use them day in, day out, probably for a few years. i think its about what you can afford, and we were really lucky, my grandparents brought my bugaboo system and we brought the other, as it was a gift for me after losing my nanny, as my bugaboo has high sentimental value now, and i never want to damage it, as nan brought it for us, thats why i like a second one x

I love my pram!! I have a SC linear freeway in jet sport and I picked it for a number of reasons, it has everything I wanted from a pram for Olivia, was a great offer and it looks good!!! Sounds shallow but I didnt want a tacky looking pram :blush:

Hmmm. Apparently I'm not with the masses as I don't care what he's in as long as it moves and is safe! I have two prams, a big travel system that was from birth and a light summer pushchair but sticking in the car. Not quite the minimum necessary technically I suppose for our purposes it is. They're not fancy brands either and they were both fairly cheap.

I don't get paying loads of money for essentially nothing.:shrug:

Yep we're the same. We got a second hand mothercare one and a lightweight stroller.

We couldn't afford to get a brand new one as much as Id have loved too. I remember looking at some of them and longing for them but just couldn't justify it!!

My son is just as happy and comfortable as anyone elses baby is in a designer pram :) I don't feel like I've done wrong to him, we've just done the best for what we can manage

x

Thats the same as us - I loved the first pram we saw (graco travel system in oakwood) I loved the colours, cream and light brown. It was a bargin at £199 that was with car seat, car base and carry cot so was like a 3 in 1!!

A few months after we got it I did start to think I should have taken more time as I loved the bugaboo - but then again for all the accessories to go with it would have been silly money :dohh:

xx

omg i love prams!!!i actually get pram envy :blush:

my 3 year old had 8, not all at once like but one after the other :blush:

i used to buy them and sell them before they got dirty or ruined so i nearly always got back what i paid for them, with the quinny buzz i actually made £60!

now edens 6 weeks and i just bought a bugaboo lastnight, i have got the loola up and dont like it, the hood covers half her face when its folded down :wacko:

i think we probably are a bit more snobby about our prams in the uk, but so what, sue me :haha:

I'm a total pram whore and so proud of it!

I had 43 prams with my first two babies....my first was picked by my mum as I had no clue about prams back then and she selected a Graco travel system....nice at the time but now to me looks very basic and not something I'd ever pick again!

This time Marlow has a Bugaboo Cameleon and a Bugaboo Bee stroller as I could afford them and they were what I truly wanted....Marlow is my last baby and I am giving him the very best that I can afford....he may be a baby and not care, but I do! And like each mum you do the best you can and I won't explain myself to anybody as I paid for it!

We have a friend with a new baby too, who thinks I'm frivolous but I don't drink, smoke or have any expensives habits elsewhere, so what's the problem?!

I guess they are a fashion accessory yea.
However I only have 2...one is our travel system which I wouldn't class as super duper nice, but it did the job for us..and OH has just bought Theo a Maclaren, not because it looked nice but because it had really good reviews x

I'd love a quinny or a bugaboo...just can't afford it, so we have to look downmarket :baby:

Our travel system was £130 brand new, Graco Mosiac inc car seat and I love it and I hardly see anyone else with one! Its so easy to push and store and Ellis hasn't complained about the comfort! Some people pay more then that for a frame alone!! We have decided to replace this when he has outgrown the car seat with a Maclaren but it will go into storage for no.2. Likewise with the Maclaren due to it's life time guarentee. No outlay then!!

I had 43 prams with my first two babies....my first was picked by my mum as I had no clue about prams back then and she selected a Graco travel system....nice at the time but now to me looks very basic and not something I'd ever pick again!

This time Marlow has a Bugaboo Cameleon and a Bugaboo Bee stroller as I could afford them and they were what I truly wanted....Marlow is my last baby and I am giving him the very best that I can afford....he may be a baby and not care, but I do! And like each mum you do the best you can and I won't explain myself to anybody as I paid for it!

We have a friend with a new baby too, who thinks I'm frivolous but I don't drink, smoke or have any expensives habits elsewhere, so what's the problem?!

No problem at all! You do what you want to do. It's your money! :hugs:

Although I will admit I just about chocked on my coffee when I read 43 prams! Not that I don't think you should've because I'm a fan of everyone doing what they want, but wow! Where on earth do you store them, or did you sell them and then put the money towards the next one?

Sorry! I have this hilarious mental picture of a backyard packed to the brim with strollers! :haha:

Pramwhore, love it!!haha

I am the same, with ds (6 now)I had the Jane powertrack, was one of first people in my area to get it and the amount of people that used to approach me to ask about it, was great. Was then one of first to get the Quinny Zapp, had it imported form Germany before it came out here lol. I am buggy mad, only early days but already looking at whats new on the market for this LO x

I don't think I'd be very popular over there haha. Mine is an excellent stroller its just....not that pretty lol she loves it though so thats all that matters! And it went from the carseat clicking into it to a sit up and its gender neutral so unless it breaks I'll use it with the next one. When I end up getting a lighter stroller though I'm looking more into the fashion side of it I think.

Im on my 3rd, bought it yesterday and still today ive been searching out pushchairs. So id say yes. Ive had the icandy cherry with carrycot too, Frankie ziko hot n bothered and just bought Pliko City Scape for winter. :blush:

I would say that 99% of my choice was about quality over looks, i dont particularly find the Quinny very attractive, im not a 3 wheeler lover but i chose it because it looked of a good quality and i knew it would last, if i paid £20 for one and it broke after 6 months then fair play i got my moneys worth out of it, but i dont want one for 6 months, i want to ideally keep this for baby no2.

My other pram which was £££'s was a gift from my mum as will Brookes' smaller stroller she will be getting for her birthday.

FYI, I hope nobody thinks I was asking for an explanation. I have expensive taste in other areas of life :blush: but strollers and push chairs is not one of them. I definitely think it's different in the US/Canada. :shrug: Graco is pretty common around here, never thought it'd be considered cheapie :shy:

43 prams :rofl: That made me laugh out loud! Not sure where I'd store that many.

But yeah, like I had imagined, you guys take it to a whole 'nother level. :D Pram whores :rofl:

But I totally understand paying a lot for a good quality pram that can be used for future children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->