As a mother who formula feeds..

My hospitals the opposite they freely hand out formula and I had to say a few times I didnt any to be met with the answer "are you sure?" and "have some just in case" . And then no help at all with breastfeeding. I was the only one breastfeeding in there and poeple where amazed and some where very cheeky. I left early over it as I would have gotten more help at home for breatsfeeding and getting up.Sadly it seems to be pressed in places, its a pity they couldnt spread out that help so that it was all equal instead of some of these stories you hear of mums being scared and pressured into it where as I wasnt any of them. very rarely i have seen a happy medium mentioned.

As far as I'm aware I thought that breastfeeding actually helped prevent PND? It keeps the happy baby hormones up, and when BF is suddenly stopped (like people who couldn't get baby to latch or whatever) there is a hormone imbalance. Thats what depression is after all - a chemical imbalance. Also I read something to do with milk suddenly drying up mimics perinatal loss :shrug: I think too many people think being anxious and sad is what causes PND when they're actually symptoms.

Just my opinion anyway, hope it made sense :D

here is the artical - https://www.albany.edu/news/release_7208.php?source=googlenews

As far as I'm aware I thought that breastfeeding actually helped prevent PND? It keeps the happy baby hormones up, and when BF is suddenly stopped (like people who couldn't get baby to latch or whatever) there is a hormone imbalance. Thats what depression is after all - a chemical imbalance. I think too many people think being anxious and sad is what causes PND when they're actually symptoms.

That is true.
https://bliss-breastfeeding.blogspot.com/2009/08/breasts-in-mourning-how-bottle-feeding.html
There is a thread on it in here elsewhere,.

Oh you got me before the edit haha

https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-club/396219-pnd-bf-2.html because there's a thread here. I think it dosnt cause it but can get poeple down when they find it hard as it is some getting used to.

I developed PND during the week of breastfeeding (thought it was baby blues) and then when I failed it got so much worse as I saw my self as a failure. BF didn't cause it on a whole but with other contributing factors it didn't help either :)
xx

I didnt get PND but if I have forced myself to carry on bf it would have happened

I have PND. Horrible!!

At the end of the day I guess im just selfish because I never even tried breastfeeding and never ever intended to! That's basically how you're made to feel. It's awful.
& whilst some people don't let these comments get to them, im not one of those people!

breastfeeders get comments to, seems to be no one else is happy with how any one feeds someone always has something to say.

Aidens mum I think your right it contributed, I do remember when it was hard feeling low as I had to get used to sitting feeding a baby all the time. I never got pnd but it did get to me at the start. I had bleeding nipples for a long time to., I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up at that stage as I had no help. It was very off putting being made to feel like I was doing wrong and people asking why I bothered when there was formula. Actually looking at it now people contribute to it also.

it might be cos im BF and im biased but i do think that negative FF comments are not as bad as the BF ones. I'm sure no one who uses bottles has been called a child abuser (in a sexual way) :sick:

breastfeeders get comments to, seems to be no one else is happy with how any one feeds someone always has something to say.

Aidens mum I think your right it contributed, I do remember when it was hard feeling low as I had to get used to sitting feeding a baby all the time. I never got pnd but it did get to me at the start. I had bleeding nipples for a long time to., I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up at that stage as I had no help. It was very off putting being made to feel like I was doing wrong and people asking why I bothered when there was formula. Actually looking at it now people contribute to it also.

exactly. i think its not the act of breastfeeding itself but the pressure put on women (usually by other women!) to follow a 'perfect' parenting style.

Oh my word why would some one call a bf mum a child abuser. Thats horrible :nope:
xx

it might be cos im BF and im biased but i do think that negative FF comments are not as bad as the BF ones. I'm sure no one who uses bottles has been called a child abuser (in a sexual way) :sick:

That is bad but being told your posining your child and are selfish are not good either

I gues comments from both sides of the fence can hurt. But you have to remember most BF mum's are very supportive of a woman descion to feed no matter what it is

And most FF mum's don't see BF at strange or wrong etc
xx

That is bad but being told your posining your child and are selfish are not good either

Yup and uneducated & lazy.
& how you're choosing to weaken your childs immune system, make them obese, make them more prone to cancer, make them more prone to ear infections..

I gues comments from both sides of the fence can hurt. But you have to remember most BF mum's are very supportive of a woman descion to feed no matter what it is

And most FF mum's don't see BF at strange or wrong etc
xx

Your totally right

As far as I'm aware I thought that breastfeeding actually helped prevent PND? It keeps the happy baby hormones up, and when BF is suddenly stopped (like people who couldn't get baby to latch or whatever) there is a hormone imbalance. Thats what depression is after all - a chemical imbalance. Also I read something to do with milk suddenly drying up mimics perinatal loss :shrug: I think too many people think being anxious and sad is what causes PND when they're actually symptoms.

here is the artical - https://www.albany.edu/news/release_7208.php?source=googlenews

Maybe generaly it does but if your trying to do it and cant the sound of your baby crying also causes a hormone imballance, thats why alot of women lactate as soon as they hear a baby cry its built into us.
So not being able to do it, milk leaking, baby crying hystericaly because hes hungery but doesnt want to latch on, feelings of failure as a mother and as a woman, rampaging hormones and then add on to that a phobia of having your breast touched anyway because of past experiances can all adds up to PND.
I went through complete oppesite emotions from complete euphoria at having my baby cuddled up in my arms to comlete hysterical cold sweats, panic attacks and sobbing my eyes out when trying to feed him (not everytime but most of the time)

another thing worth mentioning - as most of you know, BF is very hard work so most BFers are proud of themselves for perservering. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth when people say 'oh formula is just as good' cos it seems like all the hard work was for nothing IYKWIM? I don't feel like that anymore, but I used to.

bit like when people say formula is the same thing, if so then why do we bother doing it. Thats what all my friends think anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->