As a mother who formula feeds..

Selfish just means the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others :shrug: Not breastfeeding for personal reasons is by defination selfish is it not? I think its cos people see words like selfish and ignorant as really derogatory words so they look past the literal meaning.

Im sorry I dont normaly get to involved in sort of thing and I dont normaly care what people call me for my choices but this does kinda make it sound like your condoning and approving of calling ff selfish and ignorant.

AGAIN, she is not talking about women who give BF a go and it doesn't work out for them. I *think* she is talking about women who use FF from the very start. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That would be me then!!!

and me :haha:

Fair enough. Like I said, just trying to clarify because I was confused as well.

Selfish just means the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others :shrug: Not breastfeeding for personal reasons is by defination selfish is it not? I think its cos people see words like selfish and ignorant as really derogatory words so they look past the literal meaning.

Im sorry I dont normaly get to involved in sort of thing and I dont normaly care what people call me for my choices but this does kinda make it sound like your condoning and approving of calling ff selfish and ignorant.

AGAIN, she is not talking about women who give BF a go and it doesn't work out for them. I *think* she is talking about women who use FF from the very start. Correct me if I'm wrong.

its obvious she is talking about women who ff from the start. but doing something like not bf for personaly reasons doesnt make someone selfish at all, as she doesnt no what those reason might be.

Mammary mafia? Did I read *that* post wrong? I sure hope so...

Quoting out of context isnt realy fair when you look at what the poster was refering to.
She was not refering to anyone here or even bf in general, I think youll find she ment the type of people from the article that feel the need to belittle, bully, degrade, and just generaly be horride to those that dont bf, a small minority of people that clearly think themself above others not as in everyone.

Thx 4 saving me! Yes, that's what I meant. I was referring to some, err, enthusiastic bloggers, not the people we have on this thread. :)

Im off out now, I really hope this thread isn't locked when I get back.

That sounds like a threat lol i don't mean it that way!! xxx

its obvious she is talking about women who ff from the start. but doing something like not bf for personaly reasons doesnt make someone selfish at all, as she doesnt no what those reason might be.

I'm fairly certain she was referring to one reason in particular and that reason was the "My boobs are my boobs" one. Some people might see that is vain, and thus selfish. But yes, we don't know every "personal" reason a mom chooses to FF from the start. Earlier someone mentioned early childhood trauma.

well im not. ignorant doesnt even apply to this thread, it was just an example of a word that people take as too offensive.

I'm fairly certain she was referring to one reason in particular and that reason was the "My boobs are my boobs" one. Some people might see that is vain, and thus selfish. But yes, we don't know every "personal" reason a mom chooses to FF from the start. Earlier someone mentioned early childhood trauma.

i can see that point of view as once ur pregnant ur bodies never ur own and never is again, im now just a climbing frame lol

but as the comment was so general i didnt see it being pointed at just one other comment but just in general saying personal reasons are selfish when they arent

Its still primarily putting your needs before anyone elses even if it is a huge personal reason like past abuse. That doesn't necessarily make it terribly wrong as the knockon effects *could* be worse but idk.

If anyone is interested the lady who wrote the original article has written a reply to the comments

There are two reasons to not BF. You're not able to or for personal reasons, right?

omfg cant believe lisa won masterchef :sick:

I would never dream of calling or refering to a bf as discusting or child abuse or anything along the lines of exposing yourself the way some do and I think for that reason maybe thats why I cant understand why anyone would refer to a ff as selfish, ignorant or wrong.
I just fail to see why the way a child is fed should even cause arguments between people, maybe im nieve for thinking it shouldnt even be a issue or maybe it was the way I was brought up I dont know.
Unless for a reason of trying to offer advice and needing to clerify ( I dont like to assume one way or the other and offer wrong advice) I would never even dream of asking another mother how they feed their baby, it just doesnt even enter my head to ask as its none of my business and just dont see the need to ask someone, same as I dont like people to ask me because I dont see why they need to know, what difference does knowing make?

I would never dream of calling or refering to a bf as discusting or child abuse or anything along the lines of exposing yourself the way some do and I think for that reason maybe thats why I cant understand why anyone would refer to a ff as selfish, ignorant or wrong.
I just fail to see why the way a child is fed should even cause arguments between people, maybe im nieve for thinking it shouldnt even be a issue or maybe it was the way I was brought up I dont know.
Unless for a reason of trying to offer advice and needing to clerify ( I dont like to assume one way or the other and offer wrong advice) I would never even dream of asking another mother how they feed their baby, it just doesnt even enter my head to ask as its none of my business and just dont see the need to ask someone, same as I dont like people to ask me because I dont see why they need to know, what difference does knowing make?

i think its a case of people thinking they are doing it the right way, and then just getting there back up when confronted. i wudnt even ask how a pregnant woman was planning on feeding her baby and i wouldnt ask it to a mother either.
i just get very annoyed when people are called names for ff or even bf

Its still primarily putting your needs before anyone elses even if it is a huge personal reason like past abuse. That doesn't necessarily make it terribly wrong as the knockon effects *could* be worse but idk.

If the baby was to want and attempt to breastfeed then maybe but when the baby refuses, has no interest in it and just generaly hates the attempts and screams hystericaly at the notion of even holding him in a way he is clearly not comfertable with then no, im putting his need first by feeding him regardless of how he is being fed, otherwise the alternative is leaving him to scream with hunger and starve to death and that is most certainly not a option or putting him first.
Im putting his needs first just bytrying to find a way to feed him, by what means shouldnt even come into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->