Assisted Conception and LTTTC - Due in 2013/2014

I apologize that I'm several days behind here.

Em: I'm glad to hear that you're doing well now, but so sorry to hear about the mastitis.

I had a really rough two weeks after delivery also. I had placenta accreta, where the placenta grows into the uterus and has to be ripped out, causing lots of bleeding. (It can also require a hysterectomy right there on the delivery table, if the bleeding doesn't stop.) I narrowly avoided a blood transfusion, but did end up in the ER when I was 4 days postpartum. Anyway, I understand the difficulty of trying to take care of a newborn when you are not physically well. It seems impossible! And it led to the blues for me also.

But I'm happy to report that at 6.5 weeks, I'm well-healed physically and I feel much more comfortable with taking care of my DS. Also, breastfeeding has become MUCH easier! My supply has increased and the pain is gone, except a little nipple soreness. In fact, I prefer breastfeeding to bottle feeding now, because it's much more convenient; bottles are a pain to clean.

So, I'm in a very good place emotionally. In other words, it gets better, mommies!

Breastfeeding advice to those who are next:
1) If you start getting really sore nipples/breasts, see your OB or a lactation consultant as soon as possible and try to get a prescription for All Purpose Nipple Ointment ("APNO"). They have to mix it at a compounding pharmacy, not your usual CVS.

2) Also, if you have a hard spot in your breast that doesn't soften after breastfeeding, it's likely a clogged duct. To avoid mastitis, apply heat to the area for 5-15 minutes and then aggressively massage it. This worked for me. If you don't get the duct unclogged, it will develop into mastisis.

First - thank you :hugs: It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry you had such a tough time after delivery as well. Placenta acreta is a scary thing and I'm so glad you are okay :hugs: Having health challenges after delivery is so tough since trying to take care of a newborn is difficult enough. I'm glad you're feeling better and the baby blues have subsided for you as well.

Thanks for the breastfeeding advice. I agree, if you get a clogged duct treat it aggressively! Mine went from first noticing the hard lump to full blown mastitis in the span of two days. I'm constantly on the lookout for clogged ducts now. I've also added using a breast pump to make sure my breasts are getting emptied. My DD is a very sleepy newborn so she falls asleep a lot while breastfeeding and wasn't getting the milk out which contributed to the clogged duct and mastitis.

It's so good to hear that breastfeeding is getting easier for you. I keep wanting to throw in the towel and then I read from others to just hang in there and it will get easier.

I would love to see pics of all of the babies!! Here are some of my DD

This first two are from the hospital and then right after we brought her home. She looks so little! It's amazing how quickly they change!

https://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/vp9361/d22b0451-4531-4f35-b5c1-9af04a9dd610_zpsafa22bb6.jpg

https://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/vp9361/Shared/ba7360c5-b16e-4450-9ce4-44d367692e84_zpsf63732ba.jpg

https://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/vp9361/d9b4344c-0ca3-4003-b56a-96b0a2a636d4_zpsc7b1bc0d.jpg

https://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/vp9361/67befe0e-9cc2-43ce-85f1-9bdd06d25893_zps8d6e85a4.jpg

Gorgeous Em!!!!!!!!!

Love seeing the pics. I agree breast feeding is one of the hardest things but it does get easier. Xx

Em: do you know anything about placenta acreta? I hadn't heard of it before the delivering OB said I had it. How concerned should I be about attempting to carry another baby? All the OB said is that it could be worse the next time. And I've read that the treatment is a planned c-section with a hysterectomy! That is, if the pregnancy is even able to continue to completion.

SOOOOOOOO beautiful Em!!! I'd love to see pics of all these new babes!!!

Mells- they were 3 months old on march 3. Gunner is almost 9 pounds Gavin about 8 pounds :). They are eating pretty good for their weights.

Em yes he has been taking Zantac but still nothing. Hopefully before too long he will grow out of it. And your baby girl is soooo precious!! My boys are finally in 0-3 months at 3 months old

Thanks ladies!! We are so in love with her! She is a ton of work of course but when I see one of her gummy smiles I just melt and I would do anything for her :)

Sweet, those are good sizes considering they were premature. I bet they are growing like crazy too!

Em, such a cutie you have there!

Em: do you know anything about placenta acreta? I hadn't heard of it before the delivering OB said I had it. How concerned should I be about attempting to carry another baby? All the OB said is that it could be worse the next time. And I've read that the treatment is a planned c-section with a hysterectomy! That is, if the pregnancy is even able to continue to completion.

I do know a little bit about it because I was at risk for it due to my placenta previa. And now that I've had a csection plus history of placenta previa my risk in future pregnancies is higher. I'm going to ask my OB at my 6 week post partum visit. Maybe you can talk to a high risk OB and see what they recommend? My dr is a high risk OB so I'll let you know what she says. Yeah the treatment is hysterectomy :( but from my understanding that is worst case scenario if they can't stop the bleeding.

No babies for me yet! Can't believe I'm so close to 37w...I planned on making it to 36w not 37 but I will take it. I am dilated to 5cm and still in the hospital. I am monitored constantly if not being monitored I'm moving around trying to keep labor going. It starts and stops constantly. I might have to eventually cave and have a c-section if this continues :-(

Wow brandy! Can't believe you've gone another week almost! Hope they come soon :)

Brandy, I'm anxious for those babies to arrive, I can only imagine how you feel! Congrats on making it this far...hopefully, they will get moving soon. : hugs:

I think my belly blew up over night lol...Seems so much bigger today than it has! 8 days left for me! Exciting! Furniture will be here either on Saturday or Monday.. I can do Monday. Gives me time to put a few things away before next tuesday.

Today we welcomed Danica and Cecelia into the world. The doctor broke my water and in less than 2 hours they had arrived. Danica weighs 5lbs 12oz and took 3 pushes. Cecelia weighs 5lbs 3oz and took 2 pushes. Their labor and delivery was unlike anything I could have imagined. I don't even feel like I gave birth today! I didn't tear or have an episiotomy. Both girls are breastfeeding like Champs. The doctors told us that we can go home after 48 hours. We had an entire nicu team on standby and they didn't have to get involved. The girls were beautiful right from delivery. I honestly can't believe how easy it went once labor kicked in.

Incredible news brandy. I'm so happy for you!!!!! Beautiful names. Can't wait to see pics!!!

Unbelievable, Brandy! Can't wait to see pics.

Sweetness: I see your boys' smiles! It's so great when the finally start smiling :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->