At-home Artificial Insemination - HOW TO and success stories.

Ah, this thread helped me so much! Time to add my info for posterity...

A note about my situation: I was TTC as a surrogate for a gay couple, so they were pretty willing to put up with any demands I made to get their baby. Not sure if a typical donor would be so accommodating.

Questions:
1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor
It's their baby; they found me. O was my personal trainer at the gym for over a year and we grew pretty close, and when I knew they were looking for a baby I offered my uterus.

2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation Tracked on FF... temping (didn't work too well for me), CM/CP (also not as clear as I had hoped), and OPKs. In the end, it was the OPK that told me it was time. Temps barely confirmed, and CM/CP gave me a hint it may be coming.

3. What method(s) of insemination did you use They did their stuff in a cup, I inserted with a syringe and kept my hips elevated on a pillow for as long as possible. I did it several different ways several different times, usually in a dixie cup with a 12cc oral syringe... the day I got a + OPK (the time it worked, I'm sure), I used a sterile specimin container, a sterile 10 cc pre-filled NS syringe (emptied of all but about 1 cc, then warmed that up to body temp and used it to rinse off the sides of the cup), then insemed with my butt on a cushion and my legs propped up on the wall for a little over an hour. I don't think the container/syringe matters all that much. What does matter: every time, I would bring myself to O, then as I was coming down slowly inject from the syringe while my uterus was still spasming, but after the big spasms that would push all the stuff back out. Oh, and I used 1-3 g of preseed each time, as I never really got an abundance of EWCM this cycle. I based how much PS to use on how much CM i had going.... less PS if I had more CM.

4. How many times per cycle did you inseminate and what was the timing relative to ovulation (e.g. 2 days before and day of)? I did it several times before I really needed to, because I'm a big worrier and I thought I might miss my ov. In the end, I'm really glad I did, because it gave us a chance to "practice"... for them to get comfortable with the process, and for me to figure out what NOT to do. We did it 13, 10, and 3 days before Ov, and the day of.

5. Logistics. Where did you meet your donor and how did the donation occur? Again, the "donor" in this case was really Me. For donations, they came over and did it in the guest room and left it in a cup.

6. Did it work? If so, how many cycles did it take? It worked! First cycle, post-mirena.

7. If you used a donor, what is the relationship you have (or intend to have) with your donor? We are friends, and intend to stay that way, but this is completely and totally 100% their child.

8. Anything else you think people should know? Again, my situation is a little weird, but if your donor is willing, I would highly recommend the "practice runs" before you Ov. The first time, they were incredibly nervous, and the first FEW times I did things I wouldn't repeat as I figured out what worked best.

Questions:
1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor? - he is a very good friend of ours, we met through mutual friends a few times. he knew we were looking for a donor, we asked him, he thought about it and agreed.
2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation. Cervical mucus, and daily Ovulation tests from day 10 of cycle
3. What method(s) of insemination did you use. good old sample cup and syringe. bum on pillows and big O after insemination.
4. How many times per cycle did you inseminate and what was the timing relative to ovulation (e.g. 2 days before and day of)? last night was our first insemination. we were due to ovulate today but didnt so maybe last night was a wasted try!? we were expecting to AI the day before and then the day after ovulation but now im not ovulating today we will wait for the positive test.
5. Logistics. Where did you meet your donor and how did the donation occur?with him being a friend it was very relaxed, we picked him up, he came to ours had a cuppa and a chat he went up to give his deposit, we went and done our bit then another cuppa and chat on the bed with my legs up afterwards.
6. Did it work? If so, how many cycles did it take? we dont know yet.
7. If you used a donor, what is the relationship you have (or intend to have) with your donor? he is willing to be named once the baby asks but will have no involvment. he will see the child at gatherings and days out.
8. Anything else you think people should know? well we are still waiting to see if this is successful for us. we have tried IVF at a clinic and this method is deffinately more relaxed for us. was enjoyable and exciting. less clinical and formal. Fingers crossed!!

Ready - I just had a Mayan abdomen massage as well. had it on Sat and then will have 2 more times. OMG, i have heard that it works miracles. How many times did you have it done?

only once. she told me to hold off and have another session before trying. but i didnt want to waste a cycle. they do work, ive heard about a few people having success after it done.

GL & FX!!!

Ready - Thanks for responding. I just went this weekend for the last of the massages. My abdominal area feels 'different' i just can't explain it. I too have been told of many success stories from this woman alone....I'm so excited, AF will be here in about 2 weeks and I will try again this coming cycle.
If I do get a bfp, then my unexplained infertility would be explained!

i just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. me and my DH are doing at home insemination because for various reasons he can not do the deed the "traditional" way. hearing all these success stories have put a smile on my face. i am on cycle 3 now.. praying for a BFP!!!

Questions:
1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor
We used someone we knew personally without them being extremely close to us. We have no plans on him being the "father" so we knew to talk every last detail out before agreeing to anything.

2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation
We monitored temps, We monitored mucus, as well did ovulation tests, and tested for most accurate LH surges.

3. What method(s) of insemination did you use
We used oral syringes both times.

4. How many times per cycle did you inseminate and what was the timing relative to ovulation (e.g. 2 days before and day of)?
We just tried for our first time. We only attempted once on the days the LH surge showed to be the highest. As well as the spike in temp.

5. Logistics. Where did you meet your donor and how did the donation occur?
We met our donor through a friend.

6. Did it work? If so, how many cycles did it take?
Not sure if it worked yet. Praying it did!

7. If you used a donor, what is the relationship you have (or intend to have) with your donor?
No real relationship. We have agreed to allow him to be considered "Uncle" and allow him to view pictures, but no contact until our child is at least 18.

My wife and I have recently started TTC. We have a known donor. a signed contract and have taken all precautions as far as health is concerned :) He has gotta all of the relative blood work and exams done...all is clear are well!

We did our first round of insemination last month and unfortunately it didnt take. I am positive its because it was a bit of a stressful process with it being the first time. (Now we feel like pros!)-Its really hard to be relaxed and stress free and I know that EVERYONE says over and over again...stress free mind will welcome a stress free successful pregnancy...easier said than done.

We inseminated everyday for 6 days. We started 2 days before expected ovulation and continued on until 2 days after ovulation.-all of my ovulation tests came back negative but I paid close attention to my CM and I am pretty regular so also calculated that way. (14 days after period)

We used 'instead soft cups' and pre seed....I would insert the pre seed into my vagina 10-15 mins before the sample-almost like a primer. We would drive to the donors home he would grab the cup from us and literally bring it back to the car...I would then just slide the cup right up there against my cervix and drive home. I would try to achieve an orgasm after getting home so that my cervix would contract and leave the cup in overnight (remove in morning).

I was late for my period this month so i thought for sure it worked...I was having all signs and symptoms of pregnancy but all negative tests. I AM NEVER EVER late for my period, im extremely regular. I finally went to the doctor and after a million tests...am definitely not prego. My period did start but only lasted 1 day and was really strange. -very light-blood looked really really dark brown and spotty.

I talked to another friend that had done 'artificial insemination' at a doctors office (and was successful after a year and a hell of a alot of money) and she said that her body went all wonky after the process as well....HAS this happened to anyone else????

Anyways. Now Im just waiting to ovulate again so that we can go for try #2. I am confused now because of all the complications with my period and i now dont know when ill ovulate. Im trying to pay close attention to my body.

I need so much support right now, it is hard to stay calm and focused. So ready for baby.....

My wife and I have recently started TTC. We have a known donor. a signed contract and have taken all precautions as far as health is concerned :) He has gotta all of the relative blood work and exams done...all is clear are well!

We did our first round of insemination last month and unfortunately it didnt take. I am positive its because it was a bit of a stressful process with it being the first time. (Now we feel like pros!)-Its really hard to be relaxed and stress free and I know that EVERYONE says over and over again...stress free mind will welcome a stress free successful pregnancy...easier said than done.

We inseminated everyday for 6 days. We started 2 days before expected ovulation and continued on until 2 days after ovulation.-all of my ovulation tests came back negative but I paid close attention to my CM and I am pretty regular so also calculated that way. (14 days after period)

We used 'instead soft cups' and pre seed....I would insert the pre seed into my vagina 10-15 mins before the sample-almost like a primer. We would drive to the donors home he would grab the cup from us and literally bring it back to the car...I would then just slide the cup right up there against my cervix and drive home. I would try to achieve an orgasm after getting home so that my cervix would contract and leave the cup in overnight (remove in morning).

I was late for my period this month so i thought for sure it worked...I was having all signs and symptoms of pregnancy but all negative tests. I AM NEVER EVER late for my period, im extremely regular. I finally went to the doctor and after a million tests...am definitely not prego. My period did start but only lasted 1 day and was really strange. -very light-blood looked really really dark brown and spotty.

I talked to another friend that had done 'artificial insemination' at a doctors office (and was successful after a year and a hell of a alot of money) and she said that her body went all wonky after the process as well....HAS this happened to anyone else????

Anyways. Now Im just waiting to ovulate again so that we can go for try #2. I am confused now because of all the complications with my period and i now dont know when ill ovulate. Im trying to pay close attention to my body.

I need so much support right now, it is hard to stay calm and focused. So ready for baby.....

have you tried sing an ovulation predictor? i used clearblue with smileys and it really helped. got pregnant the second month trying!

I tried OPK's and none of them seemed to work....:( because i am so regular and aware of my body i figured I could just keep watch. can you use the clear blue more than once? or is it a one time thing?

they are tricky! one month i got no smileys but did ovulate. i later found out how i had to take them twice a day. i got my surge at 10pm at night. also how important it is to hold your pee for 4 hours and not drink too much. the second month with them i got a smiley face and cried haha. i got a box of 20 and they are expensive but since i am now expecting i see it was worth it. i didnt like the cheap ones on amazon just because i always wasnt sure if the line was dark enough. i also used softcups and preseed. i know its so hard but you'll get the hang of it and it will be so worth it in the end! also i should tell you that i was very regular and never late and had periods that were 5 days long. when i started at home they went down to 1-2 days, all brown, and clotty. no idea why! my dr. gave me no explanation! i swear its the bodies way to mess with us. i totally thought i was pregnant too!

OH! i feel so much better reading your messages. I just feel almost let down, even though i know it was our first attempt....i feel like i dont know how to stay positive like everyone says. its so difficult. I will try testing at night and morning. I figured that if i just inseminated everyday for the 6 days i would be bound to catch it.

My period was a mess....I am still spotting the slightest little bit....but yes, its dark dark dark brown and its just bizarre looking.

Last year i kept track of my cycle quite a bit so i went back and counted and for the most part I was bang on 28 day cycle but there was an odd time or 2 that id hit 30 days.

Im really nervous that because my period is a mess i wont catch ovulation.

Also. what did you do when you inseminated if you dont mind me asking. Syringe? or just soft cup and pre seed??? <3 to you!

i put preseed in 15 minutes prior, then used a syringe and then a softcup. a lot of people just have the donor put right into the cup but insert and i've heard plenty of success stories. the only reason i did it the other way was because i was always a little nervous the cup would go in wrong or something and i'd lose the sperm. i was paranoid! lol but having it released with a little air and putting it against my cervix felt better to me :)

:)

Yes :) that makes sense. I find the sample is always a bit too 'gel' like to suck up in the syringe, and sometimes it doesnt seem like as much. I have heard if you let it sit for a few minute sit liquefies a bit more...but I am just so paranoid...so i just slide er in right away.

I have never lost any so far! but obviously it didnt work the first time, so maybe I should try something different.

my sample would be gel too. everytime i would say i was going to wait to insert but i never did either haha. i never had a lot either if that makes you feel better. and i still got pregnant :) sometimes i only had just over 1ml on the syringe.. barely anything!

Oh! well maybe ill try that....ill suck some up and then ill slip the cup in with the remainder :) If we are going to do it a few times I my as well try everything! I looked at ovulation predictor kits tonight and they are 70$!!! for a months worth......eeek.

i just used these https://www.amazon.com/Clearblue-Di...YAOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331358770&sr=8-1

Hi

i have a question, the syringe we are using are about 4'' long, is ths long enough, please help

c

Im really confused. my cycle is generally 28 days. but because the first round of insemination messed my body up...my cycle this time was 35 days. I now dont know when to expect ovulation. Today would be day cd11 from my last period.....I have been taking opk's everyday and just 1 line. I AM SO FRUSTRATED.

my cycle was 35 days, i ovulated on CD20 got surge on CD19.. but we are all different... you will have to keep using the OPKs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->