August 2017

In the UK it's expensive to be pregnant purely because babies cost so much :rofl: but yeh we have the NHS which is free so we don't pay for scans or anything like that, but you can pay for private scans as I have, and there are private hospitals which you can pay for but unless you are mega rich (pay is shocking over here) you can't really afford private healthcare. The most expensive thing to do here is buy a house! Compared to most other countries what you pay here is madness for what you get! You're looking at £200,000 for a small family home, and about £130,000 for a 2 bed flat in the cheaper areas. My partner has a degree and only earns £20,000 a year, and that is considered a good wage for his age. I only earn £12,000 but I do only work part time as I struggle with aspergers and too much pressure causes major problems for my function (I'm on the same amount per hour as he is) plus £5600 of our wages go to the tax man before we even get it. And we barely pay any tax compared to most!

The UK isn't a bad place to live but it's a struggle if you are a young family, we are the only financially stable couple I know of our age who live independent of our families, most people can't afford to buy a house until they are atleast 30 now!! We have just scrimped and saved and lived off of peanuts to get where we are

We pay some, not a lot but some. With insurance you have this thing called a deductible, which you have to pay out of pocket all of until you hit that, mine is $1000 Then you pay a small percentage (20% in my case) of your expenses until you hit your out-of-pocket maximum, which I believe is $2500 for me. Then insurance pays everything. There are some things that insurance pays 100%, like scans and bloodwork, preventative care, etc.

The hospital has it's own fees, but the same deductible and out of pocket max apply - so if you've already reached the deductible paying for prenatal care and doctor fees, you only pay 20% of your hospital bill until it reaches your max and then you pay no more.

My first doctor wanted $1600, second doctor asks roughly $1400, so it varies. That includes the first $1000 to my deductible, then the 400-600 is 20% of their expected expenses for the delivery. They have you pay it all before the baby is born, even though the bulk of the fee is the actual delivery.

Dobby, yay for new boobs, eventually lol!

Luckily DH has kick ass health insurance through his work. We have a $500 deductible for the year (which we've already met), all office visits, ultrasounds, blood work, etc are covered 100%. When we go to have the baby it'll only cost us $100 Co pay no matter what. He works for a very large company though. Most insurance plans here suck right now after Obamacare. It's costing my best friend a ridiculous amount of money. She said she's paying ahead of time so maybe this time her bill will be below $10,000.

Oh wow, thanks for being so open and answering my questions so well! I didn't think I'd get such detailed answers. It really helped me understand a little better. Kitty, That's crazy about the houses and stuff where you are that's insane!
I live in Canada, so we have OHIP that covers a lot of stuff, so we don't pay for blood work or almost anything prenatal. Unless you're getting 3D ultrasounds or private scans like Kitty was saying. And like al you guys hospitals have different fees of course, but most insurances cover it well. I paid more for my firstborn, but that's because we upgraded our room to be large and private. There of course plenty of silly stuff OHIP and insurances don't cover, we end up paying a LOT for prescriptions. Some people that I know alone, have a real hard because they cannot afford the meds they need. And a lot of doctors seem to be pill pushers because of it, unfortunately. This is in Ontario though, other provinces/territories are different.

Oh all of our hospitals have large private labor and delivery rooms, and smaller but still private recovery/postnatal rooms. I can't imagine not getting a private labor room standard!

So I wound up in L&D tonight. Started having intense Braxton Hicks contractions this afternoon that wouldn't go away. I propped up my feet, drank water, are a snack, etc. Still going. Called my dr and they had me come in. Urine was clean, I was well hydrated, but they weren't stopping. They actually got more frequent. Anyway, I got a shot of breathene (sp?) And had to wait another hour and half to make sure they stopped. If I have more than 6 an hour I have to go back and they'll probably put me on bed rest. So if y'all could just say a little prayer or think of me I'd really appreciate it. I need this little dude to stay put and I also need to still be able to be a mommy to my older kiddos.

We pay some, not a lot but some. With insurance you have this thing called a deductible, which you have to pay out of pocket all of until you hit that, mine is $1000 Then you pay a small percentage (20% in my case) of your expenses until you hit your out-of-pocket maximum, which I believe is $2500 for me. Then insurance pays everything. There are some things that insurance pays 100%, like scans and bloodwork, preventative care, etc.

The hospital has it's own fees, but the same deductible and out of pocket max apply - so if you've already reached the deductible paying for prenatal care and doctor fees, you only pay 20% of your hospital bill until it reaches your max and then you pay no more.

Oh all of our hospitals have large private labor and delivery rooms, and smaller but still private recovery/postnatal rooms. I can't imagine not getting a private labor room standard!

This is exactly how our insurance and hospital are, though I think my out of pocket max is $2400. Our deductible and coinsurance rate are the same, though.

The hospital billed my insurance $100,000 after the delivery of DD1. :wacko: That covered close to 40 hours in the labor room, the c-section, anesthesia, and 4 nights in recovery. I had a delayed postpartum hemorrhage 12 days after the birth, which resulted in 2 trips to the ER, a D&C, a blood transfusion, and 2 nights in the hospital, and the hospital billed insurance another $40,000+ for that. I think our insurance has contract negotiated rates within-network providers, so it's unlikely that they paid those full amounts, but thank god we have insurance. :wacko:

So I wound up in L&D tonight. Started having intense Braxton Hicks contractions this afternoon that wouldn't go away. I propped up my feet, drank water, are a snack, etc. Still going. Called my dr and they had me come in. Urine was clean, I was well hydrated, but they weren't stopping. They actually got more frequent. Anyway, I got a shot of breathene (sp?) And had to wait another hour and half to make sure they stopped. If I have more than 6 an hour I have to go back and they'll probably put me on bed rest. So if y'all could just say a little prayer or think of me I'd really appreciate it. I need this little dude to stay put and I also need to still be able to be a mommy to my older kiddos.

Sending you warm thoughts and prayers! I was having pains on Saturday night that I'm guessing we're BHs as well. It eventually went away after an hour of resting on my side with my feet propped up and drinking extra water, but it started coming back a bit a little later that night. It was gone by the next day, so I didn't call my doctor. It's definitely nerve-wracking not knowing what's going on. Hopefully it all subsides for you and everything continues to progress well. :hugs:

Oh yes, Misspriss, during labor itself you're in your own room. I also meant the recovery and overnightroms that we paid more for.

Kryssy, sending lots of positive vibes your way that your little one stays put and still so you can look after the other kiddos much easier.

Kryssy - sending lots of love and energy your way and praying that your little one is okay. How scary for you to go through that.

So, question for the American ladies on this thread.
Do you guys pay a lot to be pregnant and have babies? With all the appointments and then l&d, is it costly for you guys or does insurance pretty much pay for it I'm most cases?
And ladies in her from the UK what's your guys' medical costs like? Do you guys have free healthcare in place or do you guys pay/use insurance like the States?

I've been on vacation and just catching up on everyone's posts, sorry this is a late response. I have a $500 deductible and then my maternity is covered 100%. I also have a $200 hospital deductible that I'm required to pay for any stay in the hospital and then everything else is covered. So it costs me $700 to have a baby. Personally, I think that's a lot of money, but I know it's much better than what a lot of people have to pay. Thank goodnsss for teacher insurance :)

So update. Got my test results back and I do have anemia. So got a prescription for some over the counter iron pills. Theyre a pain in the butt, but better than the alternative so I'm okay with it!
How's everyone else?

Bummer. Nice to have a solution though so I hope the pills do the trick.

I'm annoyed. Kegels are failing me and I keep peeing myself when I sneeze :rofl:

Jas - I'm on iron pills due to anemia, too. Same thing happened when I was preggo with DD1. It's a pain to manage the timing of the iron pills with my thyroid pill, both of which can't be taken within 4 hours of each other or calcium. :dohh:

Jazz I've been anemic with every other pregnancy except this one which has really surprised me. You'll get used to the pills eventually lol.
Dobby, I always cross my legs and pray it doesn't happen when I sneeze!

Thanks ladies for all the well wishes! I haven't had to go back to the hospital but I am so having BH contractions every day. I'm really hoping I get a good report from the Dr at my next appointment.

The other day I sneezed and peed a little. I said to my 3 year old (who we are STILL trying to potty train) OH! I think I just went pee pee a little in my underwear. She hasn't let that one down and every time she sees me going to the bathroom asks if I've peed in my underwear lately. :dohh:

I had it with my last pregnancy as well, but it went unnoticed so I've learned first hand one of the things (luckily nothing fatal) that can happen when it goes unchecked so I'm kinda just doing what I'm told. Like y'all are saying, pain in the butt, but haven't had a problem so far and hopefully once they really kick in I'll have much more energy, it's been ridiculous and definitely putting a strain on my relationship with my boys! And that I won't stand for haha.

For me I pee when I get laughing. SO has started taking pride in making me pee myself, and DS gets a kick out of it too, haha. Not quite at the sneezing stage yet unless I actually gotta go.

And I'm glad there's been no more hospital trips Kryssy!

I fart something fierce when I laugh. Farted on SO's leg last night :rofl:

Dobby, oh my gosh! I seriously laughed out loud at that!! I fart all the time! It just slips out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->