Baby rice in a bottle, HELP!

S

Serene123

I've started Caitlyn on Rusks and she loves them. After 3 days of them I'm going to give her baby rice in a bottle with milk (if she'll take it!) but I don't know how to make it up. Do I use SMA and add a few teaspoons of baby rice?

How did you do yours at first??

How many spoons of baby rice to how many oz/ml of milk??

I was told adding rice or rusks to bottles (either) was not a wise move for reasons of decay, choking hazard!

Fed with spoon hun!

x

I don't put rusks in a bottle I let her suck on one.. Is that bad.. :blush:

No - Caitlins loves rusks but all safer as hand food or spoon fed hun I was told anyway x

I agree with Wobbles - I was told you should never add anything to bottles. Mix it up with a bit of milk and try it with a spoon...they tell you how much to mix on the pack x

BTW baby rice mixed with milk is horrible :rofl: ..if you want to try her with a spoon for the first time and she likes the rusks you might want to try mixing that with milk instead x

She's not a fan of spoons.. or bottles.. or anything other than boobie! (and now rusks.)

She's not a fan of spoons.. or bottles.. or anything other than boobie! (and now rusks.)

May not be ready for weaning yet then but please promise me not to add rusks, baby rice, cereal to the bottle....it's such a choking hazard and baby needs to get used to spoons anyway when it comes to weaning. It can take a while for them to get used to it. She's not even 4 months yet so don't panic....they recommend weaning at 6months these days but I've only ever managed to get to 4 and a half months with mine. Give her a spoon to play with so it's familiar and try her with a bit of milk on a spoon to get her used to it (messy I know but put a plastic backed bib on her:rofl:).

I've been told the same by my mother, to never add anything to the bottle (and she had five of us so I figure she knows what she's talking about :lol:)

Yup, I have to agree that we have been advised against adding anything into the bottle too.
Have you tried dipping your finger in it and let her suck it off?
She is still little though, I wouldn't hurry with the rice unless she absolutely needs the solids.
:hugs:

Why are you wanting to feed her solids so early?

I understand that MW recommend you don't start weaning until 6 months if possible but if Caitlyn is anything like Grace i.e. always eating then I don't see any problem wth starting them early. Besides which Caitlyn is almost 4 months. I think that as a parent you know what's best for your child which might not necessarily be best for another child. I know as soon as I can I'm getting Grace on Baby Rice because milk just doesn't fill her up even though she's on hungrier babies which means she wakes up though the night to keep topping herself up with like 2oz of her bottle. However I have heard that you shouldn't put it in a bottle you should spoon feed it. Seems a lot more tricky and messy though!

She's losing weight, not having enough milk, and she just needs solids. I know my own baby better than a HV does.

She's losing weight, not having enough milk, and she just needs solids. I know my own baby better than a HV does.

I agree. Grace never seems satisfied with just milk. She is only 3 months but maybe in a couple of weeks I'll start introducing solids. Hope the rusks and baby rice work for caitlyn!

Um...I fed Leigha babyrice in a bottle...but it was literally a 8oz bottle, 6 normal scoops of the forumla milk and then one or two scoops of baby rice. Personally she didnt have any problems with it. I was told by my MIL that everyone did it and that it was a normal process of weaning, but its not. And looking back now, i really dont think it was a wise choice, but i didnt know any better. I didnt do this with Thomas and he weaned just as well as Leigha had.
Do what you think is right hun, only you know what is best for your daughter :)

agree with everyone, dont add anything to babies bottles it can be quite dangerous.

have fun with the weaning hun, make sure you have plenty of wipes to hand!!

I think Chloe will be weaning the same time as Caitlyn, I cant see milk being enough for much longer, heck I was on 2 weetabix for breakfast at 3 months!!

Yeah i agree with the others, please don't add it to her bottle, it can be very dangerous
If she is happy sucking on a rusk i would leave it at that at the moment, even though i hate rusks with a passion, put that is a personal thing, the only thing i would watch for is that rusks are quite sweet and when you do spoon feed her baby rice she may find it too bland

Don't add anything to her bottle as it is not recommended. If you mix it and give it to her on a spoon she will learn how to use it even though she might spit a lot of it out at first, she will get the hang of it. Also, if she doesn't like baby rice, try her on other cereals maybe with banana or whatever in it. xxx

I was told that they should move onto solids once

A: they are drinking more than 1 litre of formula / milk (+- 35 ounces) per day
B: They can sit up straight with support.
C: They are at least double their birth weight.

If she needs solids then as you said, you know her best. Hopefully the rice will help her pick up weight. Just one thing, make sure you feed the rice after the formula and not before as the formula / milk is still the most important thing at this stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->