Bit confused about NHS dental treatment

LoveCakes

Reaction score
So I know you get free NHS dental treatment and I'm due a checkup. But the websites say you need your MAT1B. Does this mean I can't get free treatment until after 20 weeks. Also is this not the form you submit to your work so how do you take it to the dentist?

I got a form from my midwife at my booking in appt - she put it in the back of my notes. I just had to fill it in and send it away.

Your midwife should fill it in at your booking in appt x

The 12 week one? She never mentioned anything but I'll have a look in my notes thanks. The dentist is bad enough but at least it won't cost me lol

Yes 12 week one. Can you remember signing anything?

I had to ask tbh as I get free prescriptions due my thyroid so she nearly didnt fill it I

Xx

I got mine at my first 8 week booking appointment - I was given it to take home and sign.

Actually I didn't mean 12 week appt, it's your first appt that you have with your midwife where she fills out your book and books your 12w dating scan x

I got a maternity exemption card through the post which is for prescriptions and dental treatment.

My first contact with midwife was my booking appointment then one with community midwife at 16 weeks. I don't have anything in my notes. Oh well, it's not urgent, I'll ask at my scan this week

It should have been your booking in appt that she did it. I nearly didn't get mine, they probably don't volunteer that info now due to budgets, lol

When i went to my dentist last time i didnt have my card but i was obviously pregnant so they werent fussed lol.

If you are in a rush for it call your GP surgery and ask for one. I need to see a dentist soon because I am having a lot of issues with my gums so my GP told me to drop in and they reception can give me the forms to fill in and they would send it off for me. As long as you are down in their system as pregnant it shouldn't be a problem.

I personally had to argue with the receptionist because I wasn't asked to go in to see a doctor to confirm my pregnancy, I just spoke to them on the phone and the receptionist basically refused to believe I was pregnant. I had to spend about 10 minutes explaining to her I had already briefly seen a midwife at 5 weeks and that I was booked in for my 8 weeks appointment so definitely am pregnant!

It's not your MATB1 form you need that's related to maternity pay, it's your application for the maternity exemption card for free prescriptions and dental care. You should be able to ask your MW for it at any stage of pregnancy and your GP just needs to sign and stamp it then you send it off.

They are tight arses with that form. I had to beg for mine as i had a load of prescriptions to get, they said they don't usually give it out until 20w.

They are tight arses with that form. I had to beg for mine as i had a load of prescriptions to get, they said they don't usually give it out until 20w.

That's weird coz in this pregnancy and my last they gave me it straight away at my booking appointment (8-10 weeks). Plus you can claim back any prescriptions/dental care you've had to pay for whilst waiting to get your card. Maybe it depends on local area. I know they definately don't give the MATB1 form until 20 weeks as you don't need it til then anyway as it only relates to your work and maternity pay.

I definitely got mine before 20 weeks cos it came with a letter saying that if for any reason the pregnancy didn't progress past 20 weeks I had to send it back.

I asked at around 4-5 weeks pregnant at my doctors reception I filled it in whilst there and they kept it doctor just signed it and sent it off I received my card in the post.

I didn't even need my card that you get when i had my check up. Just mention it and it should be fine.

Ring up the dentist, I was slow in sorting my card but they said they would accept my maternity notes, they didn't ask for anything once I got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->