Book Club. All Are Welcome. Reading for End of May: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

:rofl:

Don't judge a book by its cover, tank....

Just kidding. I totally judge books on their covers. I openly admit to it.

I love Vonnegut! I really enjoy his style and am always meaning to read more of his books. Have you read much by him, Tank?

The Fault in Our Stars is the one John Green book I have read. I don't remember much of it so I don't think it really resonated with me one way or another, but according to Goodreads I gave it 3/5 stars. :shrug:

ETA:
:rofl:

Don't judge a book by its cover, tank....

Just kidding. I totally judge books on their covers. I openly admit to it.
:rofl: me too!

:hi: in a bookstore now but... Buying the stinky cheese man for my stinky little man :dohh:

Stay away from Prep. Got it :rofl:

Wow there are a lot of Harry Potter fans. I like them but IDK if I would say I was in love. I did like A Casual Vacancy though.

Bookgeek (can I call you BG for short?) I think its really great how you list The Fault in Our Stars as one of your favs because I read that one and Looking for Alaska and that is precisely why I do not like John Green. :haha: I love that we have some different tastes. It is going to make for a more interesting discussion later I think.

A lot of you like what I call the school reading list books, and those are always good. I suppose there is a reason why they are chosen for English classes. Are any of you fans of Vonnegut?

Sure, I'm happy with BG! I like TFiOS because I identify with the characters, particularly Gus. I liked the way the emotions of fear and hope and humor were portrayed; I think John Green captured them perfectly. It was a glimpse of the way my life could have gone, and thankfully didn't. I've read some of his other books, and they didn't impact me quite the same way, so I can't tell if it's the story or the writing style I like.

I'm also glad all of our reading tastes both overlap and diverge! I think this is going to be a really great group with good and interesting discussions. :happydance:

Now for a proper introduction:

I'm Amy, I'm turning 30 in 2 weeks :shock: We TTC for 6 months and conceived the little man in Europe last summer. I then went into premature labor on board a flight home from our babymoon in January. We spent 3 months in the NICU far away from home. We are all home safe now and we're all doing pretty okay considering <3 DH and I thought about writing a book about our experience as NICU parents because there isn't a lot of super great info out there... while there are child birthing classes and breastfeeding classes, there are no classes on bringing up your baby in the NICU setting and the challenges that we faced may be able to help a lot of people. Problem is, neither of us knows how to write a book :dohh: :rofl:

As for my reading preferences, I will read just about anything. I will not finish a book if I'm not into it though. Like most of you, I also loved the Harry Potter books. I own everything Stephen King has ever written. I have a stack of books in my "to read" pile that I picked up after Levi's arrival in January and I still haven't touched them. Water for Elephants was fantastic, The Night Circus is another "circus' book I enjoyed as well. I have a guilty pleasure for those teen dystopian novels... and DH makes fun of me for reading young adult books but I don't care. I'm currently still reading though the baby books :haha: and I'll probably order the book you picked out and hope I finish it in a month.

Amy, let me help! I would totally read it. The hardest part is getting started but once you get going, you'd be surprised how it just comes together. :winkwink: Even if you just need advice, you can message me any time. :thumbup:

I also can't finish a book if I'm not into it. I'll give it about 30 pages and if I'm not feeling it, I move on. There are too many good books out there to waste time on the ones that suck. :haha:

so all of you are book worms from babies basically and here i am the orphan. i hated books most of my life. for me, in school, to do a book review was the hardest task in the world. i could never sit down for so long. even if the book was a mere 50pages. to punish me would tell me to read a book, thats how i was. 2 years after school i would pick up a random book now and then and read a few pages and then leave it. and eventually i got into a book, cant remember what was the first full book i read, but thats when i started reading. after i got married then i was hooked as i never work. i too can not read a book if it does not grip me in the first 10 pages. i say a good author will have you from hello.

I hated the books in school, aside from the great gatsby because we got to do a flapper day and pretend we were winos :rofl:

WIL I think I could probably write it but then I have no idea what to do from there :haha: I have a feeling in 10 years I'll still be "working on that book"

PS my copy of our first book will be here tomorrow :happydance:

yay, I got my copy, but havent started yet.

Jealous you girls are getting yours!! I hope my copy comes soon, otherwise I'll go buy it.

I loved the summer reading books that we could choose and read on our own time, but hated the books we were forced to read in class. Like The Grapes of Wrath and Moby Dick. If people tell me to do something, I never want to do it. :haha:

Amy - love that you love Stephen King! I'm still aching over the end of the Dark Tower. I am guessing that you may have read his short story, The Jaunt? I'm curious to know what you think. :)

Tank, how did you hear about Imagine Me Gone?

I love Stephen King but have only read a handful of his books--maybe 6 or 7?

My copy of Imagine Me Gone became available so I'm starting on it today! :thumbup:

Mine is still not available. :dohh: Why is my library system so slow? It wasn't on the shelves at the used book store yet, either. I might just go for it and get it on amazon!

Tank, when did you want to have this read by? :friends:

Lemon to answer your question - I found the jaunt to be utterly terrifying... It's been quite awhile since I've read through those older shorts I may have to dust off the skeleton crew and give it another go. After imagine me gone which btw I read the introduction :haha:

Hey ladies, hoping you don't mind me joining.

I'm 27, Scottish, a Geography teacher and mummy to a 7 month old girl. I have just returned to work 3 days per week but I have a pretty long commute so could maybe read then. I also have a 5 year old monster dog (he isn't really a monster, honest) so honestly, I am pretty busy with everything.

Book wise I was an avid reader at primary school, my mum used to have to take the bulb out of my bedside lamp during the week as I'd sneak read half the night. In my first year of high school we did a "book tree" where everyone had an individual reading target, if you achieved your target you won a prize and whoever got the highest percentage of books against target won a trophy and £50 book tokens. I read 300odd percent of my target, they didn't believe me (despite the fact you had to write a review of each book) and I was disqualified. I was so angry, my target was something ridiculous like 15 books in a year, I read loads of Jacqueline Wilson books which I loved but only took a few days each, plus I read more challenging books like Phillip Pullman etc, but all because the librarian clearly thought I wasn't capable I was disqualified. I was so angry, it actually put me off reading.

I only really started properly reading again when I was about 20, but over the last few years I haven't had time. Ob holiday, I usually take at least 7 books for a 14 day trip.

If I'm honest I am pretty limited in what I choose. I like chick lit, but jot your overly ditzy type. I like stories I can relate to, so fantasy and horror aren't really my thing. I like stories about family, and I love humour.

My favourite recent read is The Man Who Forgot His Wife. I cant remember the author but I read it in a day!

Hi, loeylo, it's nice to meet you! Congrats on your sweet baby girl. What kind of dog do you have? <3 That librarian sounds absolutely terrible, and I would have been so upset by that as well. Grown ups can be the worst, but I'm glad you're back into reading, now. :hugs:

Amy - yaasssss I felt the same way about the Jaunt! It's one of those stories that keeps on haunting long after I've finished reading it. :happydance:

I still don't have IMG but I signed up for an elibrary card from another system and I'm on the waiting list for it there, too. Hoping I get it in the next few days so I can read it during recovery!

hi loeylo, welcome to the club where any chatting goes. i dont think i have ever read as much as you have. glad you got back into reading, its so relaxing.

lemon i sure hope you get the book soon.
anyone else got their copies and have started reading except Amy?

I hated the books in school, aside from the great gatsby because we got to do a flapper day and pretend we were winos :rofl:

:rofl: Love love love this.

:hi: loeylo. Welcome.

I got my copy. We are aiming to have it read by the end of June. Does that sound doable?

Also, Lemon I heard about the book through Audible :blush: it was listed under best sellers :haha:.

tankel end of June seems doable. will keep you all updated as the days go by

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->