Book Club. All Are Welcome. Reading for End of May: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Still waiting over here for a copy of either one to become available. :dohh: So instead I'm reading a memoir about a woman born without legs. I also have a post apocalyptic novel about a midwife on my shelf to read. Yeah I've got some weird stuff going on over here.

finished DM and what a waste. is that a way to end a book. no way. thats what movies do when they want to bring out a sequel.

i only realized after DM that i finished TMG already. that book was so much build up and then a let down.

ok so honestly there were not the worst books i have read but they were not the best either.

WIL have you looked into getting therapy? :rofl: those are some weird books. i can not imagine you even glancing at that kind of books.

What? WIL how the heck did you find that weird stuff?

I'm reading the sequel to Dark Eden and its different different than the first one. Way less speaking quirks. I also just finishes Mislaid, which was a quick read but just :shrug:Next on the read list is We Are Legion. On Vacation, I'm bringing my actual copy of Nest, which I've started on 3 separate vacations but only get pass the first 20 pages every time :rofl:

Goodreads will lead you to weird books sometimes, which is amazing.

Hey ladies, where are we at? Shall I post discussion questions or are we all ready to move on? :haha:

im not sure if everyone is finish with both. but spoiler discussions are welcome before i completely forget the books (which i think i already have)

Let's do discussion questions! :happydance: I want to see what everyone thinks!

I think WIL is still waiting for her copies, though? But as long as the questions are posted in a spoiler we should all be all set. :thumbup:

I agree with discussion. These books weren't awful and it will be nice to talk about them.

STILL waiting on my copies! :brat: I won't open any spoilers but I still want to linger while you all chat so I know what the next book is. :winkwink:

My thoughts and discussion questions for Dark Matter:
Overall, I liked the book. It was a quick, interesting read. Because it was so quick I have forgotten a bit of what I read but I do think it'll stick with me awhile. I do remember there being some deep, mind-blowing thoughts and the sci-fi was done well enough that I bought the box premise without being too confused about it :haha:

1. For you, what was the biggest surprise as you followed Jason through the many twists laid out in Dark Matter?
When multiple Jasons were showing up at the end. I kept thinking - which of these guys is the REAL Jason and, from the point he entered the box with that chick, they are all the real Jason trying to get back to his family. When they're in the chat room, they're all the same person, showing multiple facets of his personality and thoughts, and how is it right that only one Jason gets the family if they're all the same? Kind of trippy.

2. What makes Jason 1 a standout amongst the others? Is our allegiance to him a matter of perspective? Or is there something fundamental to him that is more deserving of Daniela and Charlie than the others?
The only allegiance I had was simply that it was his perspective. I wonder how all the other Jasons are going to survive in that world though. Imagine living in a world with hundreds of doppelgangers :rofl: I really did feel bad for them.

3. When the novel switches to Daniela’s point of view for the first time, were you surprised by the scene that takes place? Confused? What did you think was happening? I don't remember this part :dohh: I do remember thinking I would absolutely lose my mind if I had a bunch of my DHs trying to get at me, swearing they were each the true one. How she decides to cling to Jason 1 and run is beyond me.

4. At its heart, Dark Matter is a love story. Yet we see Daniela in many different worlds and in situations where she is not with Jason and happy. Do you think they are supposed to be together? Do you believe that they would have been just as happy pursuing their career-driven dreams?
I've never believed in the idea of "soul mates" so I absolutely think they could have lived separate lives and been happy. It is a beautiful thing that they were able to find each other and fall in love in this particular world, though.

5. Many of the decisions in Dark Matter center around the notion of career and family. If you had to choose, would you rather live Jason 1 or Jason 2’s life? Why? Jason 1, because I feel more fulfillment and happiness from my relationships and family life that I do from my career (or than I would from constant striving at work).

6. Jason 2 (and some of the other Jasons we meet later in the book) acts in morally questionable ways throughout the novel. Do you think that his life path has caused him to be less kind-hearted? Or is he merely self-interested and willing to do whatever it takes?
Fundamentally they are all the same person, so really this shows us that we are all capable of acting in morally questionable ways. Obviously we all are shaped by our experiences and relationships, so it's easy to understand how one Jason is a murderer and another lets Daniela leave with Jason 1 because he honors her choice above all else.

7. Without Amanda, Jason 1 might not have survived. What do you think of her decision to leave him? How did you feel about their relationship?
I found Amanda to be an annoying distraction. I'm so glad they didn't hook up because that would have been lame. I get that they kept each other alive but idk I didn't like her for some reason. I was relieved when she left but I wonder if, in some worlds, the two of them decided to stay together.

8. What kind of world do you imagine Jason, Daniela, and Charlie entered at the end of the book?
One filled with gumdrops and butterflies. Seriously.

9. What did you think of the science and technology in the book? If this kind of advancement in science was possible, would you want it to exist?
I said I bought it, though I felt the science was really watered down. DH also read the book and said he felt the same, that he would have liked a little more depth here. I think it could have quickly gone over my head though. and NO, I wouldn't want this type of technology to exist.

10. Is there a path not taken that you wish you could experience? If so, what is it? Do you feel you ultimately made the right decision?
There are several - and this is one of the reasons I enjoyed the book so much, because it made me think of them and made me come to the realization that my life rocks the way it is.

I was a competitive gymnast for nearly 10 years, I held various national titles by the time I was 12 years old. I tore my ACL doing a tumbling pass I had done hundreds of times, and that injury ultimately ended my career. I never dreamed of going to the Olympics because it was highly unlikely (at the time, only 7 girls would qualify and get the chance every 4 years, that number is lower now). I was more realistic - I wanted to fund college by competing at the collegiate level.

When I "retired" from gymnastics, I took up dancing. I was competitive in high school and had various opportunities to dance in college, but I realized that paying for school and putting food on the table and having a secure future for my family meant a career as a professional dancer or choreographer or even coach was not a great option. Besides, age is the enemy and I already had a life-changing injury that I couldn't overcome. I decided to focus on a professional career that would pay my bills, which is why I went to pharmacy school and became a pharmacist. In grad school, I met my husband. The rest is history.

So yes, I wonder what would have happened had I landed that tumbling pass correctly. Had I been a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. Had I said YES to my high school sweetheart when he proposed the month before I left for grad school, instead of NO, BYE. I wouldn't be here, and that thought is deeply sad for me.

TMG coming. It took me over 2 hours and multiple posts (courtesy to having a toddler) to post this :dohh:

For you, what was the biggest surprise as you followed Jason through the many twists laid out in Dark Matter?
I didn't find it very surprising and I was really relived when they finally revealed that the guy who put Jason in the box was himself. It was getting tiresome when the author was dancing around the twist.

What makes Jason 1 a standout amongst the others? Is our allegiance to him a matter of perspective? Or is there something fundamental to him that is more deserving of Daniela and Charlie than the others?
I didn't really feel an allegiance for Jason 1. I felt bad for all the Jasons (except for the crazy murdering ones) and Was thinking maybe they could all live on a farm and just take turns being Jason. :rofl:

When the novel switches to Daniela’s point of view for the first time, were you surprised by the scene that takes place? Confused? What did you think was happening?
I also don't remember this part :haha:

At its heart, Dark Matter is a love story. Yet we see Daniela in many different worlds and in situations where she is not with Jason and happy. Do you think they are supposed to be together? Do you believe that they would have been just as happy pursuing their career-driven dreams?
I don't think they were supposed to be together. If you take the premise of the book, there are infinite worlds where she's perfectly happy and never even meets Jason at all. I also think that there is nothing wrong with pursuing a career over a family so yes, I think they could have both been happy without being together.

Many of the decisions in Dark Matter center around the notion of career and family. If you had to choose, would you rather live Jason 1 or Jason 2’s life? Why?
I think I would choose Jason 1 life, only because I kind of choose that in my own life.

Jason 2 (and some of the other Jasons we meet later in the book) acts in morally questionable ways throughout the novel. Do you think that his life path has caused him to be less kind-hearted? Or is he merely self-interested and willing to do whatever it takes?
I agree with Amy, I think its just showing how people can act in a wide array of ways just depending on the situation at the time.

What kind of world do you imagine Jason, Daniela, and Charlie entered at the end of the book?
I think it was probably a world filled with naked ladies and video games. After all, a teenage boy picked it.

What did you think of the science and technology in the book? If this kind of advancement in science was possible, would you want it to exist?
I don't think its possible and thank goodness for that.

Is there a path not taken that you wish you could experience? If so, what is it? Do you feel you ultimately made the right decision?
I think the way my life has turned out is wonderful and I can't think of a path that I wish I would have taken

PS Amy, I love your story. No, Bye :rofl:

Yeah I had questions for TMG but never posted them as I couldn't find the time to get the answers down at once :rofl: It seems like nobody really read or liked that book anyway so maybe time to pick a new book?

I just finished Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal and I quite enjoyed it. It's a super fast read.

For absolute reals, I'm still in line for my copies. :dohh:

I'm finishing The Girl on the Train, I agree it's definitely not TTC friendly and I'm actually having a hard time because the main character is driving me mad. :roll:

I liked GOTT. Right now, I'm listening to The Bell Jar, its weird so far.

WIL, that's how I felt!

I'm 100 pages into the Stand by Stephen King. This book is crazy and like 1100 pages so who knows what's going to happen. :saywhat:

I LOVE The Stand. It is definitely a long read but it's worth it. I refuse to read books over 400 pages and I made an exception for that one because it was a gift, and I really got into it.

i am totally going to read the spoilers and reply when i have time.

are we doing a new book? i have jojo moyes, the last letter from your lover, micheal connelly, the wrong side of goodbye and anthony doerr, all the light we can not see all open but really battling to get into a single one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->