Caffeine!

Minno

Reaction score
Well ladies whats the deal with caffeine and fertility? I absolutely love my fresh coffee (one cup a day in the morning) and also have a cup of tea in the evening. But I've read that anything more than 200 ml (equates to 2 cups of coffee) is bad for fertility. Now pleeeeeze don't tell me I have to give up my coffee! How am I gonna get through the day at work without it?
Can't help feeling I'll just be babyless but even more grumpy to boot lol!

Seriously, should I be trying to give this up/cut down? Would love to hear your thoughts. xxx

I haven't done any research on it, because I'm not a caffeine user per se. However, I've been wanting to drink more coffee lately, and I also read it is a detriment to TTC. So, I'm compromising by drinking it during my active AF, but stopping as soon as AF is over. Don't know if that makes a difference. I do know that most people say a cup (8oz) daily is OK.

I have seen studies say no caffine others say a certain amount is ok. I think a cup of tea or coffee a day is ok - everything in moderation. Coffee has more caffine than tea so I opt for tea after O.
Apparently, the caffine debate is not about whether you can get preg but whether it decreases fertility ie takes longer to get preg on average with use/and how much use will have an effect.

I've seen it written that 2 cups a day is ok. I've been on decaf tetley tea for a long while now 'cos drink a whole load.

If you're concerned about it, you could always try making half caf - use half caffeinated and half de-caf.

I don't have a reference, but I have read that the tannins in coffee (whether regular or decaf) can impair fertility.

This is bad news for me, because I am used to drinking several cups of decaf throughout the day. Now I am drinking one half-caf cup in the morning, and licorice or cinnamon tea throughout the day.

I just think of it this way...too much of anything is no good. I like to drink one cup in the morning, and have stayed off it for months. That didn't work so I went back:coffee:

You don't seem to be drinking very much. If it was more than 1-2 cups a day, then cutting back could potentially help, but 1-2 a day isn't much. I've always had 1-2 a day and no way you'll get me to give it up. I look forward to sipping my tea every morning. I say everything in moderation.

I was told at the fertility clinic back in July that caffine was bad and to try and reduce the amount i have on a daily basis and from that day on i havent had any caffine at all, and i am a big coffee drinker. I just buy decaf these days. Even DH has taken to drinking decaf tea as theres as much caffine in tea as there is in coffee.
But i Suppose one every now and again cant hurt, i just dont want the severe headaches again i got while my body got use to no caffine.

I quit caffiene altogether as well
I reccomend that if your going to do it you do it on a weekend when you have no plans so you can just deal with the headache.
JMO
When I was pregnant I was told that 2 cups of coffee a day was fine but no more than
and honestly I gave it up entirely any how
Good luck either way you go

I've read it's better to stay away from Caffeine... but, as with most stuff in life, as long as it's in moderation, I think it's OK. Stress can be even worse for you while TTC... so if a cup of coffee a day helps keep the stress away... LOL... you get the point ;)

I've cut down to Green Tea in the am (Chai green tea bag with hot water, a little non-fat milk and some honey-- yum!)- it's no non-fat 2 pump white chocolate mocha from Starbucks! haha. But it's still good ;) And I feel better... so just do what feels the best for YOU! I do still allow myself that mocha whenever AF arrives though ;) muahaha.

Good luck and baby dust!

Thanks somuch for your replies ladies! I am so addicted to my lovely cup of morning fresh brew (with cream!) that I can barely stand to think of giving it up. But I think, taking into account all your advice, that maybe I can get away with one cup coffee in am (I'm with you Seity - just can't give it up!) and one tea in evening, and just drink water in between. Forgot to mention I do like the odd glass of coke too :))
Oh, I am bad! xx

Yeah Seoj, I'm with you on the whole Starbucks double shot with extra whip cappuccino - gives me a warm glow just thinkin' about it.
Honestly, if I can't bloody well get pregnant I've got to have some pleasure in life! xx

PS I love the muahaha - made me laugh out loud!

Just wanted to add if you're going to be drinking a lot of green tea, you should up your folic acid intake. One or two cups isn't likely to make much difference, but a lot of green tea interferes with your bodies absorption of the folic acid.

Oh, didn't know that. Haven't decided about green tea. It isn't a double espresso is it?!
Mmmm I think I need to make more of an effort lol xxx

Caffeine is also in chocolate and some over the counter drugs.
I guess as long as you are having very little occasionally it should be ok :~)
I would say drinking alcohol and smoking during pregnancy must be worse?

One cup of coffee in the morning will probably be ok, I usually have a cup each morning, I'm considering the hot green tee with the fat free milk and honey, sounds delish!

Yay - I feel so much better now that I can probably get away with the early morning cuppa! I don't smoke or drink. I exercise and I eat pretty healthily (ish) - so I've got to have something, right?! xxx

I was reading about this in a book last night and it made me laugh as it was so contradicting. It first said it's better to switch to tea rather than drinking coffee, and it is linked to lower birth rates etc, (Caffene) and also reduces fertility chances (yet green tea is suppose to help????) then at the very end of the whole section it said if you are nervous about drinking too much tea, to switch to coffee... lol... yep they didn't check their writing very well in that book.

Well, to add to the confusion...I'm a male, and have read that under 300mg per day is ok, then I've read I should give it up all together, then I've read that an hour before trying to make a baby I should have a cup of coffee because it can increase sperm motility. Then I've read that it can decrease female fertitlity, but if one of us has to give something up we both really need to because it seems easier when we do it together.
My wife and I both love an espresso in the morning, but we make it at home. We've given up so much stuff that it's starting to feel like we are monks. Maybe we'll switch to green tea, we both like it. We were talking about it yesterday and I was trying to remember the catch with green tea. It was the Folic acid thing. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->