Can I start maternity leave early?

Lysal

Reaction score
I am a teacher and am currently on half term. I am supposed to be going back for 2 weeks after but am starting to regret saying that. This week I've been getting worse heartburn and have started getting stitch like pains in my left side and accross the top of my bump. I don't think they are serious - just muscle pains - but boy do they hurt. At the moment I am finding tying my shoes tiring let alone anything else.

I was wondering if you have to work to the time you wrote down or if you can ask to go earlier as I am dreading being at work - a lot of time on my feet and when I do get to sit it's on small child sized chairs.

Im sure you can ask to finish earlier, but they may requre notice to change the dates!! For me it's 28 days notice...so wouldnt be a lot of point! lol x

Hi

I am a Teaching Assistant working for Suffolk County Council- I have just looked in my paperwork and I think the same rules apply to TAs as Teachers. It states that you can change the start date of maternity leave as long as 28 days notice is given - however it also says you can give less notice than this if good reason is given.

I changed mine with about 3 weeks notice and brought it forward by a week - it is not any easy jobs to do late in to pregnancy - as you say lots of walking, bending, sitting in little chairs etc! I would think that if you got the support of your MW or GP to finish earlier that it wouldn't be a problem. I found my Head to be really supportive and understanding.

Good luck! Kx

heya hun, i'm a teacher too and i was originally going to go in after half term for a few days, but when i spoke to our business mgr in the last week of term, she said you can go off whenever you need to. I ended up being taken into hospital on the thursday night with contractions, and i'm not going back now. All they need is a doc's note to say why and that's it. Your doc / midwife would rather you finish when you need to and write that note for you. please don't worry (easier said than done i know), but i do know that if you have to go off sick whilst pregnant, the school can start your mat leave then - they understand that you can't plan to the letter how things will go. I have said i'll be back some time in March, but haven't committed to a date - i just said i'd give them 28 days notice.

good luck, and take that leave! It's knackering and i already feel so much better knowing i can kip when i want x x x

I'm sure you can start earlier with a recommendation from your GP or Midwife, I'm finishing a week earlier than planned because of similar issues - I work with babies and preschoolers in clinic so there's a lot of sitting on small chairs or else on the floor. And it was getting harder and harder to get up again and loads more aches and back pain.

Hopefully you'll be able to finish earlier and enjoy the last few weeks xx

Strictly speaking you have to give 28 days notice of a new start date, but I'm sure any reasonable employer would be flexible on this rather than insist a heavily pregnant woman carries on working. I'd contact your employer asap and see what you can negotiate. Most employers will realise that if they don't let you start your mat leave earlier you just have the option to go off sick anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->