Can People Really Change?

J

Jade--x

I don't want to go into too much detail about the situation I'm referring to as I think it would affect peoples answers and I just want it from a general POV, but do you think people ever really change? And I mean adults not children/teens.

I'm not talking criminal people either I'm meaning cheaters/liars/manipulative people/attention seekers that type of thing.

Do you think people can change from that? Or is it something they'll always do?
Do you know anyone that has changed?

People can definitely change.... Not many do, but they can!

Yes I agree they can change, I never used to believe it but I've seen it.
Cheats/liars etc often do what they do through low self esteem.

And tbh I was a home wrecking little cow with no morals when I was younger. I'm pretty ashamed and thats not who I am now!

People can make changes, but only if they want to.

I think they can change only if they want to and there's really no way to know if it's all an act with someone like that. I have an exbf that was a compulsive liar and would lie about the most silly things that didn't matter at all. He ended up cheating on me (flat out caught) AND still lied. He made up this elaborate story about being hit by a car and needed back surgery (and supposedly having it done with no scar at all). He even had a note from the hospital.

Yes, I believe they can. Not everybody can/tries to change, but some do. Good people can go bad, bad people can go good. x

If someone really wants to change, they can. I also think that about 98% of people don't really want to change and therefore don't. So, while it's possible it's very rare.

I guess it depends why the person is the way they are. I've never seen it from experience and I wouldn't trust anyone to change.

Yes some can change depending on the person but those are the type who do not repeat these things.

I think they can change only if they want to and there's really no way to know if it's all an act with someone like that. I have an exbf that was a compulsive liar and would lie about the most silly things that didn't matter at all. He ended up cheating on me (flat out caught) AND still lied. He made up this elaborate story about being hit by a car and needed back surgery (and supposedly having it done with no scar at all). He even had a note from the hospital.

Your ex sounds exactly like mine hun. That guy I know will never change lol x

Not really, if you funder mentally are a liar/cheat/angry. In the short term you can pretend to not be that person.

I think people who have 'changed' were whoever they were through circumstances not as a natural character.

Look it like mental health. Some people are not wired right, for example murderers. Some murderers show psychotic symptoms their whole life and go on to plan and carry out horrific acts. Some people kill other in the heat of the moment or even by accident. I believe the later people can be reformed the first not.

Do you see what I mean?

Yeah I see what you mean and definitely agree. The person I'm asking about I think is wired wrong though of course I'm not psychologist so that's just my opinion on the things this person has done that they must have something not quite right - They're a complusive liar and show a lot of signs of Munchausens ..And I've been told they've changed and I'm in 2 minds whether its possible or not, especially when from what I've seen personally they don't seem to have changed one bit :/ x

IMO people can change, if they care about something enough. I won't accept that everyone can change, but some people have a lot of growing up to do - changing. Something has to be more important to them than theirselves. I've changed plenty, I'm not the girl I was last year, however my ex is still as much a creep as he was at 15. It really depends.
Paedophiles and such psychos.. I'll never believe can change, no matter how they try to convince me otherwise. Twisted.

Not talking about murderers, rapists, etc.

Can a person change, yes. Do those types of people change, sometimes. They have to want to do it for them self, and no one else. Until they are at peace within, they can't change. People cheat, lie, steal, abuse, etc. for a reason. They weren't born to be a liar, etc., something in their life shaped them to be the way they are and its up to them to straighten it out if they want to.

Of course they can! I think that thinking otherwise is very bitter and negative. I am sure I have done things that have made someone think that I am a horrible person but I know that I am fundamentally a good person, and I'd like to think that most other people are too. Everyone grows and learns, no one is just born perfect!

Of course they can! I think that thinking otherwise is very bitter and negative. I am sure I have done things that have made someone think that I am a horrible person but I know that I am fundamentally a good person, and I'd like to think that most other people are too. Everyone grows and learns, no one is just born perfect!

I think this is very well said. People do this out of panic, fear, upset, low self esteem. My ex treated me like crap for 2 years.. I got the upper hand and treated him awfully for 6 months. I made him think I'd go back, then left him hanging and crying. I regret it do much, but I know I'm not a bad person, even if I did a bad thing. Last week I had a paedophile begging me to believe he'd changed - I would not grant him that. So I am also only talking about normal people, not Paedophiles rapists and murderers.

I think people can change IF they really want to. I know some people will never vouch to change.

I've seen first hand how my "ex best friend" is and how much they vouched to change, over and over begging me... unfortanetly they're just one of them people that will never change.

I think so yes my fiancée was very abusive in the beginning of our relationship but then he had a huge wake up cool and now he is a totally different person. He does have little blips with his anger but he works so hard to stop that from happening and it's very rare x

I think people can change but it takes a certain type of person to Want to change!

Yes I agree they can change, I never used to believe it but I've seen it.
Cheats/liars etc often do what they do through low self esteem.

And tbh I was a home wrecking little cow with no morals when I was younger. I'm pretty ashamed and thats not who I am now!

People can make changes, but only if they want to.

Totally this - I have done some stupid things in the past that I massively regret, and havent learnt by and would never ever do that to someone again.

People can change but only if they want to and put the effort in, I find people change from experience

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"