Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Only you know the best thing to do for your family Joss as you are the one who lives it. Anyone else has an opinion, but its just that - an opinion.

I think you'll be much happier if you quit joss. Screw what other people say.
A lot of people did not approve me of quitting my well-paying job to stay home with Alia... Especially when I only had to go back for five months to get another mat leave, but I truly hated it and it just wasnt worth it to me.

Honestly by the time I pay for childcare and all of my gas, I am left with less then $300 every 2 weeks for groceries and my other bills. So I just don't see how that small amount of money and all the hassle makes it worth bothering to continue with my job.

Tom has said if we move I can quit. He said he could take the odd overtime shift and we could drop down to 1 vehical if he works midnights. I could take on a couple babysitting kids and be seeing more money then I do with my current job.

I know you had some trouble with quitting your job, Melissa... I would have a hard time letting go of a job that paid what you got though tbh LOL.... I don't think I will ever see or make the kind of money you did in my lifetime. I do wish it was easier for moms to stay at home though.

Joss, I was in the exact same boat. Childcare for two kids was going to leave me ~$500/month leftover. I take home far more money working casually around David's schedule.
And...I like my job.
If you are really miserable there, then I think you should definitely stay home with your kids. You are a smart woman and you've got lots of marketable skills. You will figure something out. And you don't have to justify your choices to anyone!

It is just hard to do something like quit your job when people are so skeptical and unsupportive of it. And also even if I quit the hospital, I will have to find some way of getting money, I will never be able to go without some kind of income, at least matleave will buy me some time.

I am just more afraid of quitting and not being able to get kids to babysit or something, If I don't have money for groceries we would be fucked. Tom only makes enough to pay our mortgage and house bills. If it were just a matter of me bringing in some cash for play money then it would be different.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a couple kids to baby sit :hugs:

We're making ends meet on just Nathan's income but I want some extra money so I don't have to feel guilty going to the movies or buying clothes for myself.

I was scared, too.
At least that was $500/month I could be sure of, you know?
And while I made way more money in the fall, there has been a 3.5 month dry spell that has left me bored out of my gourd professionally and worried about $$. We can get by on husband's income, but that covers just the basics. All the extras, like music and gymnastics and trips and all that other stuff... we were counting on my income maybe more than I realized. It is really important to me that my kids can do that stuff, so I am hustling more work.
But I have had a few anxious and almost depressed weeks this winter.

I think the big clincher for me, Joss, is that the job isn't meeting any of your needs. You don't like the work AND it's not enough cash. I get that it's scary to leave something secure, but you know what? You could do your mat leave, use the time to get some babysitting clients set up, then quit. You don't have to make any big choices yet. :hugs:

Ya I know I dont have to quit right this minute. I just hate not knowing what im going to do and I like having a secure plan.

I've made lots of cash from doing training, but that is usually only during a few months of the year so it doesn't cut it. I love training, but I hate the uncertainty of the income it brings.

The flip side is, unless we move I won't be able to quit. Even though I don't get alot of take home, it does look good on paper for getting the mortgage approval. And our house is way too small to take on babysitting kids. So the house is a huge stress too... I just wish it would sell already so we can move on.

Thank you :D It means alot to have you girls to listen to my whining LOL

My paycheques are already too low though. I don't know how I would have more taken off... seriously. I don't buy or do anything for myself, I cant save anything because all my money is going to a sitter and our food basically.

It is just depressing and not fair people who make over 100K are getting hundreds/thousands back :( Its like you cant get money unless your already rich it seems.

Brian paid almost 15 grand in taxes... so I would hope we would get some back!

Anyways, just popped into to say Hi too! I have been super busy with the kids, and we spent a couple weeks between here and Calgary and the weekend in Banff for our anniversary, so I havent been able to get on :( Also been super sleep deprieved most nights, so I go to bed very early! (like right now! lol)

Joss I hope you get some wisdom in what to do and I hope your house sells. I hate selling so much. We have sold twice in my young house ownership life. I hated each time so much.

Sarah you inspired me to throw in a tony dvd and work out sand I hate Tony and I hate your inspiration:haha: lol. I can't even move.

We're in the same boat here, I'm only part time and guaranteed 16 hrs a week, I can probably easily bump that up with overtime hours every week but it's not a certain every week. So by the time I travel to and from work and pay for childcare, I'll have very little left. I'll be scraping by just to pay the few bills I do. Hubby doesn't seem to understand that in order to get any extra I would have to work 30 or 40 hrs a week and then we'd be paying more for childcare so it still wouldn't even out. How I'd love to just stay at home!

On a bright note, Jack was sitting up yesterday for ages without toppling over. Not even 5.5 months old yet. I'm so proud of my little boy :)

ya Maggs I am only part time too, I am guarenteed 25 hours a week though. But like I said childcare takes a huge chunk from my pay and then the gas money I spend driving the beast van around for 45 mins twice a day eats up my paycheque pretty fast.

Happy Birthday Jadyn!!!! :kiss: :flower: I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Sorry been reading but not felt great so been quiet. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your family Joss, screw what the others think!

Well done Jack! :yipee:

The weather looks nice here today so the kiddo are on our way to the playground very shortly!! I'm hoping it helps with her mood :rofl:

I hope your place sells soon Joss. I know you guys have put a lot of work into it :hugs:

Way to go Jake!! i remember the first time i wondered if J could sit up so i put her in a sitting position and she sat for like 10 seconds and i was :dohh: i should have been doing this forever ago... now we r at the point where she can stand for 2-3 seconds if she's paying attention LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->