Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

welcome back sun!!! where do you live now? I used to live in oshawa for awhile but it was on site at a horse farm so I didnt actually pay rent hahaha

:hi: Sun, you should post more :)

I do try, but I can't usually keep up with this thread lol! I think it's the fastest moving one on BnB. :haha:

Also we're thinking of doing the sugar shack this weekend too! I loved it when I was a kid - especially the maple syrup on the snow mmmmmm!

:lol: it's slower than it used to be, much slower :rofl:

Sugar shack? Do you get to tap your own syrup there? The only thing we've really found in our area is one of the local museums that does a little tour to show you how the syrup is tapped and how they used to do it etc. Hannah probably won't be *that* interested in any part of it except the eating :haha: But I enjoyed listening to the history behind it all last year.

ETA: I didn't grow up in in this area (or in Canada at all) so excuse my ignorance of not knowing what a sugar shack is :lol:

I actually live in Ottawa - so a good distance from TO :( We miss it very much, but our quality of life is better here. Shorter work hours, less commute and we can afford to actually buy! But we are considering a move in the not-too-distant future. For our careers (architecture), Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are the cities to work in Canada. Ottawa is pretty boring work-wise.

:hi: Sun, you should post more :)

I do try, but I can't usually keep up with this thread lol! I think it's the fastest moving one on BnB. :haha:

Also we're thinking of doing the sugar shack this weekend too! I loved it when I was a kid - especially the maple syrup on the snow mmmmmm!

:lol: it's slower than it used to be, much slower :rofl:

Sugar shack? Do you get to tap your own syrup there? The only thing we've really found in our area is one of the local museums that does a little tour to show you how the syrup is tapped and how they used to do it etc. Hannah probably won't be *that* interested in any part of it except the eating :haha: But I enjoyed listening to the history behind it all last year.

ETA: I didn't grow up in in this area (or in Canada at all) so excuse my ignorance of not knowing what a sugar shack is :lol:

A sugar shack is a maple syrup farm. It's fun for kids and they usually have really yummy pancake breakfast + wagon rides too. Here's an older link to some around TO - though I've never been to any of those. https://www.toronto4kids.com/Kids/Seasonal-Fun-Spring/To-the-Sugar-Shack.html There's tons around where I live!

Ohhh vickie... a real sugar shack is a farm out in the country... they usually have horse drawn sleigh rides and a tour of the maple tree areas and show kids/people the taps and buckets and equipment. Most of the ones i've been to also show you the syrup house etc where its made, they make maple toffee for kids on clean snow (they drizzle maple toffee on a popsicle stick laid in the snow, sounds weird haha, but kids love it).

They usually have a place for you to get pancakes and maple syrup too in the sugar shacks. And then of course there are tonnes of different maple products you can buy.

Some of them have snow shoeing and other activities as well.

thanks! :) I'm off to have a look at the link!

Stan has told me about how he used to do the maple syrup on the snow as a kid (but he grew up in London not Mississauga) :)

lol I really did laugh when you were talking about a maple syrup museum... that is a very city person type thing to say :D

not trying to be mean haha... just cute funny :D of course I am a country hick compared to anyone in toronto im sure :rofl:

This thread has slowed down considerably since I first joined over a year ago!

Nathan's grandpa brought us some freshly tapped maple syrup yesterday. Mmmmm real maple syrup is the best!!

We can just afford to live in a condo here. Thankfully the condo fees aren't that bad, otherwise it'd be a no go for us. It isn't even like WE saved up for it, etc. P lived at home until he was 30 to save for a decent down payment and bought this condo on his own.

He did have his friend help him as an "investor" to buy this place too, when we move we'll have to pay his friend back. :)

We could theoretically buy a house, but for the time being we can afford where we are (as much as I FREAKING HATE IT) as its comfortable and we can do this. Once I can get back to working more we hope to buy an actual house with a yard.

Oh! I totally hear you guys about ridiculous house prices in T.O. My brother and his wife used to live right off of Yonge St, near York Mills... they were near the Bridle Path for those that understand Toronto's areas. A small, shit-assed house that didn't even have a yard as they were paved over so people could have a parking space went for almost $800,000. :wacko:

I know they were in a very desirable location, but still. Who on earth (that we know) has enough to buy a house like that????

Wow Tiff. My city is expensive too, but not that crazy!

There was a website up awhile ago called crack shack or mansion, making fun of the absurd prices people are paying in parts of Vancouver:
https://www.crackshackormansion.com/
Toronto is getting there. There are a few neighbourhoods where these insane bidding wars are happening over complete teardowns. We're talking sheds with carpeting and people are fighting to pay way over the asking price. And remember - you're paying that $800k or whatever and then you what? Have to tear it down and build a new house? Have to completely gut it and do $100k of renos? Because the places are so run down they would barely be habitable. More money than sense? :shrug:
Or maybe I just don't care enough about HGTV kind of stuff? :)
If I was paying that for a house, it better be my dream house and move in ready. And come with a lifetime maid-nanny-and-butler service. :haha:

Yes Vancouver is bad, but I don't live in Vancouver. I live 40min out of Vancouver and it is still pricey and a desirable location, but not crazy like Vancouver. But still $600k isn't at all unusual in my neighborhood for an older home built in the 60s. But on average the houses are quite big and well maintained and the lots are quite large as well. Still expensive though.

To be fair, The Bridle Path is seriously ritzy. My brother did NOT live in anything even remotely ritzy...the apt that they rented was nice but not top of the line... iykwim?

Its called "Millionaire's Row"

Which could account for the un-freaking-real prices.

ETA - Almost forgot! The Artist, (formerly known as Prince :lol:) owns a house in there. :haha:

Sorry, Amanda - I didn't mean to seem like I was contradicting you! I know you aren't in Vancouver - I just got reminded of the nuttiness that is Van Real Estate when Tiff was talking about buying a shack for $800k! :)

Holy crap, well it was fast last night! I had to scroll through 4 pages to get caught up!!

So funny you mention the sugar shack because I was showing my stepson the process of making maple syrup 2 weeks ago when he was here and we were making pancakes for lunch. We went to one for a class trip when I was in grade 3, maybe grade 4. Can't remember now!

Vickie--you said you didn't grow up in Canada, if you don't mind me asking, where did you grow up?

No plans for today, just play with Jack. Going to strip out bed and wash it. Think that's about all the housework apart from the usual tidying up the kitchen and Molly's litterbox. Wind and rain AGAIN today...welcome to F***ing Scotland...rains 8 days a week here! Sort of like Newfoundland I think hehe

Tomorrow's plans are grocery shopping and relaxing, my stepson is here this weekend. Then Sunday the F1 starts! Much to my husband's dismay though is that he's stuck at a rugby tournament with his son all day Sunday. Something like 500 kids from as far up as Glasgow and down to Dumfries (we're in Ayrshire). So he's not too impressed to miss an entire day with Sam, with Jack and being stuck in a car for hrs...plus he has to make loads of packed lunches for it too. Not a happy man!

Off to NS this weekend! Hopefully the weather stays consistent for the rest of the day since it's been off and on all morning.

I went on a school trip when i was younger as well to see the maple syrup process. I should try to go back with OH and B sometime when she's more interested.

Housing prices aren't too bad here comparibly but they have increased quite a bit and the majority of anything that is reasonably priced for most needs some sort of work.

:hi: Morning all!

Can you ON believe this weather? :rofl: We're having quite the snowstorm here right now

Yeah Mother Nature is totally being Bi-Polar at the moment. :wacko:

No snow here yet but if it's in TO I'm sure we'll see it in a couple hours

You guys have snow?
That sounds kind of like a typical Calgary spring! :)
Enjoy? :haha:

Playgroup for us this morning, then I'm off to teach about giraffes in the afternoon.
Have a great day, everyone! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->