Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

For Canada Day I'm taking the kids to Kingston to visit friends and we're going to go to the splash park there and then out for lunch :)

Probably won't do fireworks because that's way past their bedtime!

Our date went well and my sister was fine with the kids. The twins refused bottles, but I fed them at 5:30 and they went to bed at 7 fine. I just dream fed them when we got home at 11.

glad your date went well!

Not sure what we're doing for Canada Day. It will probably just be the four of us. I'm sure Stan will want to do something on the grill :lol: We have some sparklers for Hannah to do but she will do them in the evening when it's still light out--no way am I keeping her up until dark :haha:

Haha we always go to the fireworks. But the park is only 2 mins from home.

Kinda an anticlimatic Canada Day for us this year. Well, actually for the past couple of years as P's shift has always been working it. So (yet again) P's working, my parents are at the cottage but I have no way to get there and MIL and SIL are going to Kingston to visit family and watch the massive 1812 reenactment in Bath.

Minor rant about my First World problems: :blush:

My Mom is obsessed with going to the cottage, we don't own one but my parents rent one for the first week of July every year. They do that so they can avoid going to our family reunion (same weekend every other year) because of some stuff that happened that is really petty. P and I both LIKE going to the family reunions.

So my Mom feels that its a good enough reason to bail. However she wants my brother and I to come and spend the entire week there each year with her. I know, there are worse things in life... but if I'm honest, I don't LIKE being at a cottage. Maybe I would if it didn't mean having to spend a week with my mother... but I just can't handle it. Her and I don't get along especially when it comes to Claire, she challenges almost every decision I make with her. She even lectured me because I allow Claire to eat popcorn. She could apparently choke on it. Uh, yeah... maybe when she was a year old! I can't even feed my kid an apple without being lectured on all the pesticides that are in the skin. She's even told me that I shouldn't allow Claire to drink apple juice because of said pesticides.

So yeah, that's the type of person she is. She got mad at me the other day because due to MIL going out of town for the long weekend, P working and them being at the cottage I have no one to watch Claire for me. So I'm stuck being at home, which means I'll be working when we were supposed to go.

She was SO upset about it. Like its something that I can control?? She was all irritated wanting to know why neither of us booked time off for it back in February when she told me about it. Well for starters, I didn't anticipate getting a new job back then so we figured we'd go on P's days off and I also didn't anticipate MIL going to Kingston.

:shrug: What am I supposed to do? Tell MIL not to go??? :dohh:

Wow. That was long. Sorry!!!

I let Anna eat popcorn and she's 1.6 lol. I hate when relatives get all controlling and protective.

Your mom is like mine, so I totally understand! I could stand being stuck in a cottage with her for a full week. She rents a cottage too but it's at a place where we could rent a hotel room on the same property.

Your going to Kingston? You should stop and meet up with me and Melissa!

Sadly we aren't going. We didn't know that MIL and SIL were going to Bath/Kingston so didn't plan or prepare and didn't ask for the time off. MIL kind of dropped it on us last minute, which sucks.

Although his side (and mine) always have reunions in Kingston every so often... the last time I met up with you was at one! So next year it'll be Kingston and I know P and I plan on going. :thumbup: We missed last year's in North Bay as we had no time left to take off due to all the wedding/honemoon stuff.

I definitely want to meet up with you guys when we do make it out that way!

:dohh: I will never understand your mom Tiff!

And Hannah has had popcorn since 16/18? months as well (I can't remember exactly when :rofl:)

She choked more on apples than she ever did on popcorn!!

Hmmm I don't let Andrew have popcorn. I've heard of kids as old as three dying because of it. I guess it's probably not very common though :shrug:

I think its all in comfort level and how your kid does with stuff. Claire is such a methodical chewer that I don't overly worry about giving it to her. She takes one piece at a time and then chews the heck out of it. :haha:

I won't let her have hard candies though, those scare me. :blush: I remember being like 7 or so and those butterscotch round disc type candies in the clear wrappers? (Not worther's originals) and one of those got lodged in my throat. I was by myself and had to get it out as I couldn't breathe.

To this day I can't suck on a hard candy, I have to bite it into smaller pieces. :blush:

Hi ladies hopefully we'll get our new router today. Pain in the ass having no net. On the go already getting stuff done early as gotta go take Jack to the baby clinic later this morning to get weighed come measured then off in town to get a card for DH as its our 2nd anniversary today and haven't gotten it yet. Oops slacker I am!

My mom is extremely paranoid about choking too. I agree it's all with your comfort level. And honestly you can be any age and choke on anything. I think every parent should take CPR :) it's really good to at least have an idea just in case.

Hi maggs! Good luck with the router we miss you!

To top it all off???? :sulk:

P and I were watching an episode of My Name Is Earl, and in this one he goes to this hippie-commune type area and has to live there for a week. Doesn't one of the guys talk about how to avoid apples as their skins are FULL of pesticides???? :dohh:

P nearly fell over he was laughing so hard. :haha:

Hope the router works Maggs!!!! :hugs:

:haha: That's funny Tiff!! I've heard that about apples but I don't know, I'm just not a worrier :shrug:

When I was like 5 or 6, we were eating fish that my dad had caught and he forgot a bone in it and it got stuck in my throat and I had to go to the hospital to have it removed. I didn't start eating fish again until the past few years. Funny how things like that can form bad associations.

Hi Maggs! Hope you get internet back soon, and happy anniversary!

Joss I'm definitely going to take CPR this fall. Nathan's whole family hires someone to come teach it every couple of years as a refresher but I missed last time due to work.

Yep I'm for going with your comfort level to. Hannah actually hasn't choked on popcorn that I can remember? She did choke badly on a chip once and a few times on apple (skin on!) though it's been at least a year since she's choked on anything.

:rofl: that's hilarious Tiff! I've always heard that the healthiest part of the apple is the skin? Isn't that where all the fiber is??

I got a nap in the swing! :yipee: Only because Hannah's watching tv though :haha: Probably won't last but a few minutes of time without someone on top of me :wohoo:

I hate choking! I am a bit paranoid that way, but not really in any other way with my parenting. I think we all have a healthy balance in this forum!

I decided to look up this apple-pesticide thingy. Turns out that they have what they call a "Dirty Dozen" list, foods that when tested found the largest amounts of pesticides on them and apples did in fact top the list. Celery, strawberries, local blueberries were on there too.

Then they were quick to add that any health benefit that you would get from eating fruits and veggies far outweigh the minimal risk of ingesting a bit of pesticide. :shrug:

Glad you got R to nap in the swing Vickie! :hugs:

well I only am going to live once... I think I will take the risk and keep on eating apples and strawberries! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->