Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Going away for a few days. I need to get away and get my mind off of my life. So, we are going on just a small 3 day holiday tomorrow. So see you in a few! :)

Have fun Jasmak!

Wendy had those bath bombs for H I want to say, the little blue robot one? She might be able to say if it works or not! :thumbup:

Aaaagh I can't stand fish. It'd probably make dieting a LOT more easier with having fish to eat instead of other stuff. I just can't do it! The smell + texture is enough to make me gag. :blush: I try to keep my opinions of fish to myself though, I don't want to influence Claire.

I'm secretly happy she doesn't like black licorice like me though. P's family is Dutch and pretty much live off that double salted black licorice nastyness and always tease me how I'm "broken" because I don't like it. :roll:

Have fun Jasmak! :)

I try not to influence Hannah with my dislike of fish to :rofl: She likes some fish, some she doesn't. Mostly it seems to depend on how Stan cooks it though :lol:

Have fun Jasmak!

I love most seafood and hopefully Jack will do. DH will eat fishsticks and that's about it!

Uuugh they're so gross!!! :lol: I had a friend who would eat fishstick sandwiches. Yuuuuuuuck!

Its my youngest nephew's first birthday party this afternoon! Just waiting on the Little Miss to wake up and we'll head down to visit.

Rant:

My little cousin was due on Aug 10th or so. She's got gestational diabetes, and for whatever reason they did the same as Amanda (I think?) and let her go overdue. :( She was induced last weekend but it didn't go well (????). I don't know much of the details but she updated her status on Tuesday saying there was no baby but that he *just* got his heartrate back up to the low-end side of 'acceptable'.

Just yesterday I was like :confused: as she still hadn't had him yet. She checked in to the hospital in Guelph this morning but things really started to not go well and they had to do an emergency c section. :( For a little while there I wasn't sure if either she or her little guy were going to make it! :cry:

Thankfully we just got word that all is well, Mom and Baby are doing okay. :cloud9: I was so scared for a bit there and normally I'm like "ehhh, whatevs... " when it comes to worrying about people giving birth. It never occurred to me until this time that something could go horribly wrong. :(

Mmmm I'm Dutch too and love the salty licorice - droopies!

You must of been thinking of someone else. I went into labour early both times - 38.5 weeks and 36.5 weeks

Omg that's horrible Tiff! Hope they will both be ok. And a fish finger roll is yummy! As is a chip roll or as we know it, french fries! My weird food is dulse...it's an east coast thing and it disgusts my hubby

:( Glad everything is okay tiff :hugs:

Happy second birthday Peyton!! I hope you all had a good day :flower:

I can't remember who it was, or unless it was someone I know of who was told they'd be allowed to go overdue? Baby brain strikes again and I have a nearly 4 year old! :haha:

Yes, I'm super glad they are okay as well. :thumbup:

Thanks Vickie!!!

Sorry tiff, that would be stressful!

I am just wondering if anyone in BC earns around $30,000 / year and claiming single, how much subsidy you get? My employer will not talk to me until 30 days before I begin work (she says that what she legally she has to do).. anyways I have to pick daycare at least 3 months in advance, and if I dont get enough money than I cannot afford to go back to work but I wont know for sure unless I know in advance..

TIA

Happy Birthday, young master Peyton!! :cake: :cake: :happydance:
Hope it was a great day for the whole family, Joss! :)

Tiff, I know what you mean. I think there is a very strong societal expectation that birth story = happy ending. Due of course, to the very real reduction in mother-infant mortality over the last 100 years, for multiple reasons.
But I had a similar moment - just a small flash of what you had - when my tiny little friend needed an emergency C-section to extract a very large baby. I just had this brief thought - "if this were happening a hundred years ago, she would not have survived. I would have lost my friend and most likely her baby, too."
A hundred years is not that long ago. In fact, even thinking generationally about it can really put it in perspective: my grandmothers had significant pregnancy and baby losses, as opposed to my mum and aunts, and even more so opposed to my self and my cousins. So when the "happy ending" isn't straightforward, it is kind of earthshaking now. We just are not used to that as an outcome at all.
And yay for that!
But still, it does happen and it gives all of us a swift kick of perspective when the scary stuff happens to someone we know. :(

I am just wondering if anyone in BC earns around $30,000 / year and claiming single, how much subsidy you get? My employer will not talk to me until 30 days before I begin work (she says that what she legally she has to do).. anyways I have to pick daycare at least 3 months in advance, and if I dont get enough money than I cannot afford to go back to work but I wont know for sure unless I know in advance..

TIA

Sorry, I'm in Alberta.
But I still don't quite understand what you mean by subsidy? Do you mean tax breaks?
I've had pretty good luck calling the government (Rev. Canada or Service Canada, depending on what you are asking about) directly for info on this one. If you have all your numbers handy financially speaking, they can give you very good advice.

TIA

Sorry, I'm in Alberta.
But I still don't quite understand what you mean by subsidy? Do you mean tax breaks?
I've had pretty good luck calling the government (Rev. Canada or Service Canada, depending on what you are asking about) directly for info on this one. If you have all your numbers handy financially speaking, they can give you very good advice.

Child Care Subsidy.

And they want me to fill out an application first.. but it can take up to 6 months for them to approve/deny your claim.. which is dumb since I need to know BEFORE I pick a daycare!

What childcare subsidy? I know there's the UCB (Universal Child Care Benefit) but that's a standard $100/month. There's also the CCTB (Canada Child Tax Benefit) and that's monthly based on your income.

Is it a benefit through your work? If that's the case I'd contact your benefits provider and see what they can do. :flower:

No tiff, families can get additional 'discounts' (not sure how else to describe it) through certain daycares which the government reimburses the daycare. It's based on income etc. only certain preschools and daycares can do it though, I have no idea about the cut off for income etc though because I know we're not eligeae for it, but it's for lower income or single parent families.

I am in BC, but I dont qualify for subsidy, sorry. Hope you get it sorted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->