Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

If she is drinking and not lethargic I'd wait. Watch for green sputum too. Hope she feels better soon! It's probably just the end of her cold, I know I end up hacking for days after a cold

poor Alia :( Hannah's never had croup so I don't really know what to do. I hope it clears up quickly though (and yes Hannah's a mover to :haha: I hate when she sleeps with us :rofl:)

Glad Andrew liked preschool! Fingers crossed it doesn't get canceled

Melissa, if it was me and my first experience with croup, i'd probably take her just to be on the safe side. I've known many families to just ride it out though if they've been through it before.

My friend M's daugther has had croup quite often. She always brings her in, even when she knows what it is... they always prescribe her an inhaler to help with the barking cough.

Poor Alia :( I'm of the same opinion as Maggs, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I kept shrugging off Claire's fever a little while ago and by the time I brought her in they nearly admitted her because of how wonky her blood work was. :dohh:

Figures eh? Murphy's Law states that if I had brought her in earlier, it would have been fine. But because I waited, there was a "why didn't you bring her in sooner". :roll:

Found this on Croup:

How will I know if my baby has croup?

If your baby has croup, you'll know. The barking cough is easy to recognize. Although it's frightening to hear your baby cough like this, in most cases, it sounds worse than it is.

Other symptoms can include:

• runny nose
  • sore throat
  • fever
  • a loud, high-pitched rasping sound when breathing (this is called stridor)
Croup usually comes on in the middle of the night. You may discover that the slight cold your baby went to sleep with has turned into the unmistakable bark. Don't hesitate to respond: you'll probably find your baby awake, sitting up, coughing, and frightened.

How can I treat croup?

It’s best to take your baby to the doctor as soon as you can, even if your baby has had it before. The doctor may give your baby a single dose of a steroid, which works by reducing the swelling in her airways. This is perfectly safe for your baby if given in the correct dose. Sometimes the steroid takes a few hours to start working so your baby might also be given a mask treatment, with epinephrine, which will quickly reduce the swelling in her airways.

Your doctor will also advise you to try some treatments at home to relieve your baby’s symptoms and help her feel more comfortable:

• Encourage your baby to take extra drinks to keep her hydrated. For babies who have started solids and children, juice and warm soup may taste especially good if they have lost their appetite for food.
  • Give your baby liquid infant acetaminophen if she has a fever or seems in pain. Read the dosage information on the bottle, or check with your doctor if you’re unsure how much to give your baby.
  • Use a bulb or salt water drops to help your baby clear any congestion in her nose.
  • Run a cool mist humidifier in your baby’s room to help her breathe. You can also try wrapping your baby up in a blanket or snowsuit and taking her outside to breath fresh cold air if it is cold outside.
  • If your baby is crying and upset, her cough could become worse. So comfort and reassure her with lots of hugs and kisses. Sitting her upright on your lap, or holding her upright over your shoulder may help her to relax, and therefore breathe more easily.

Don’t give your baby cough medicines or decongestants, as these won’t help in treating croup.

Aaaand just because I feel like post whoring:

Glad Andrew had a great first day at preschool! :wohoo:

Thanks Tiff... I'm going to see how she does tonight and if it's the same or worse I'll bring her in. I put a humidifier in her room and when she was in our bed last night she kept taking sips of water whenever she coughed. Haven't heard any coughing from her yet so hopefully she's feeling better.

And yes I'm 100% confident it's croup. It's only at night and she has a mild cold and the telltale barking cough. No mistaking it.

Had to take hubby to the hospital. I have never seen my hubby like that...I was really scared. Turns out kidney stones. Soooo tired...inlaws arrive tomorrow! Great timing....NOT.

Croup can last a good couple weeks and most doctors won't prescribe inhalers because they are steroids. Unless she is really struggling to breath. Personally if you need to take her somewhere for piece of mind make sure it's your family doctor. Or if you want to see a ped then doctor dempseys kids clinic in Belleville is great.

I avoid the hospitals with the kids, especially with a compromised immune system. There's way too much you can catch there.

And I should know, I work there lol and I spend the entire fall/winter sick from all the sick there

Yes Joss, I think you've mentioned more than once or twice that you worked in a hospital. :haha: Although I don't remember what your position there was... :dohh: PSW or something like that? :blush:

B definitely gets it bad the poor thing, she really struggles to breathe. :(

She's doing great thanks!! Still has a mild cold but she didn't cough at all last night....must have been the humidifier. I cranked it.
And ya if it was worse last night I was just planning on calling my family doctor. From what I've read though it says it usually just lasts 3-7 days.

Glad she is better!!! That's the main thing.

When my sil's girl had croup they were quite sick for a good couple weeks.

Glad she is feeling better. Anna had croup for a month but it was not worth treating as it wasn't too bad.

:hugs: Glad she is better. Some of my first memories are of being in the croup tent at the hospital when I was a baby. Justine always laughed at me that I remember being a baby haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->