Christmas Recipes & Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont cook, maybe i should start, this all sounds so yummy!

not a recipe as such but i ALWAYS have a turkey stuffing and cranberry sandwhich on chistmas day night their so flippin yummie :)

mulled wine isnt that alcoholic really,it all boils out. well. depends how long you cook it for, but if you tell yourself there's no alcohol in, then there isnt hehe!!

and turkeys, if you bone them they're easier to cook and stay nice and moist cos they're smaller etc. not sure how its done, my dad's always done it. there was always many a laugh over "dad's boning the turkey!!"

and pop a bit of paprika over your fluffed up roasties.

ooo and parsnips rolled in flour and parmesan, they're special. either that or with wholegrain mustard and maple syrup poured over!!

i'm hungry now!!!!

I'll not give the amounts of potatoes because each people will cater for different amounts of people with different appetites.

Cooking time: 50-60 minutes

Heat oven to 200 degrees
Put some oil in a baking tray and put in oven to heat
Peel potatoes
Boil for 5-8 minutes then drain in a colander
Shake vigourously so the potatoes can get their edges ruffled:happydance:
Put in hot tray and turn over
add salt & pepper to taste
turn potatoes after 25-30 minutes

check them at 50 minutes to make sure they're not too crispy and cook more if needed.

Very easy but yet alot of people wont try them:cloud9:

OMG decided to try these today they are perfect thanks mamfay!

thats how i cook my tattie mamfy they are lush xx

This thread could be handy!!
OH is a chef and is probably working this year so i'l be cooking (i Never cook!!)

I wouldn't bother for just me and the kids ,but seen as my brother has got leave from the RAF and he's staying here i can't not do one!!

But i shall not be doin any turkeys innards!! A ready to go joint from Iceland will do the job for me!!

Thanks in advance for all you reciepes. YOu never no mite even make OH proud!! (Yea rite!!)

x x

I never even knew you could do them that way, i just thought you shot them in the oven and roasted them :rofl: I'm a bit of a shit housewife really

I was just saying to DH the other day I would love to try making real homemade roast potatos, also a real whole chicken(but turkey at xmas) but I am too scared so I may start with the stuffing and tatties in a few weeks see if I manage then progress, hopefully in time for crimbo!

THANKYOU!

Anyone got any lovely puddings suggestions??

Me and DH hate christmas pud and he doesnt like trifle or fruit cake.

Emma.x

I do roasties almost exactly the same way mamafy, almost every Sunday. They are my favourite bit of Sunday dinner!

Here's my recipe for yule cinnamon cookies:

260g plain flour
130g brown sugar
130g white granulated sugar
140g margarine
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C

Mix the flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon together.
Beat the sugar into the egg and margarine until it forms a thick paste and add the vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and beat together, or knead with clean hands until soft and gooey.
Avoid tasting the dough, raw egg and all that!

Form dough into balls the size of ping-pong balls and place on a well greased tray.

Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

Recipe makes about 25 cookies.

You can vary the amount of cinnamon to taste, the above amount produces a strong seasonal smell but more subtle taste :)

The recipe can also be used to make other varieties of cookies, just switch out the cinnamon for 170g chocolate chips, or reduce the flour by 50g and add 50g cocoa powder for chocolate cookies.

ill post my welsh bara brith recipe, its traditional on xmas eve in wales to eat it!

225 grams brown sugar
225 grams uva sultanina
450 grams self raising flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 pinch of salt
2 teabags

Make 1/2 litre of tea with the two bags, leave to cool then put the sugar and the raisins soaking overnight. Put the teaspoon of mixed spice and the pinch of salt in the mixture and beat the two eggs, add to the mixture and mix well, add the flour. Line a 1 kilo plum cake tin or two 500 gram tins.
Put in a preheated oven for 90 minutes at 160° centigrade.

I will re-read this thread soon from the beginning..

I need recipes for

Filo mince pies
Mince pies
Christmas cake
Yule log
Christmas pudding

Thanks!

I have a tried and tested mince pie recipe:happydance: I'll post it later:happydance:

I have a few recipes:

Simple Cranberry Sauce:

1 Jar whole cranberry sauce (not jellied)
1 can pineapple pieces
Almonds

Drain the pineapple. Mix all the above ingredients together.

Candied Sweet Potatoes:

Fresh sweet potatoes or if you can find it, canned.
Marshmallows
Maple syrup
Ground ginger
Ground cinnamon
Butter

If you are using fresh potatoes, you need to bake them first until they are soft. Once they are cool, cut them into cubes. If you are using canned potatoes, you need to drain the juice. Use the butter to grease a baking dish and place the potatoes in it. Put enough maple syrup to cover up the potatoes half way. Sprinkle a generous amount of the ginger and cinnamon on top and place a generous amount of marshmallows on top, as well. Bake in the oven at around 200c until the marshmallows are melted and browned.

Anyone else got any yummy christmas feast ideas we can "borrow"??

Please and Thank you!

Emma.xx

P.S Christmas is 10 weeks today!!:happydance:

SIMPLE MINCE PIES

mincepies.jpg

INGREDIENTS

• 225g cold butter,diced
  • 350g plain flour
  • 100g golden caster sugar
  • 280g mincemeat
  • 1 small egg,beaten
  • icing sugar,to dust

• First to make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour,then mix in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix the pastry into a ball - don't add liquid - and knead it lightly. It will be fairly firm, like shortbread dough. You can use the dough immediately, or chill for later.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole patty tins, by pressing small walnut-sized balls of pastry into each hole. Spoon the mincemeat into the pies.
  • Take slightly smaller balls of pastry than before and pat them out between your hands to make round lids, big enough to cover the pies. Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently together to seal - you don't need to seal them with milk or egg as they will stick on their own. (The pies may now be frozen for up to 1 month).
  • Brush the tops of the pies with the beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar. They will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.

SIMPLE, QUICK AND DELICIOUS :)!

SNOWY YULE LOG

yulelog.jpg

INGREDIENTS

For the yule log:
  • 3 medium size eggs
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 40g plain flour
  • 15g cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar

For the icing:
  • 75g butter
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 300g icing sugar, sifted

To decorate:
  • icing sugar and holly leaves

• Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5.
  • Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water for 5-6 minutes until pale and thick.
  • Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and carefully fold in.
  • Pour into a greased and lined 23cm x 30cm swiss roll tin and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
  • Turn out onto a sheet of baking parchment sprinkled with caster sugar. Carefully remove the lining paper, roll up and leave to cool.
  • Place the icing ingredients together in a bowl and beat together until fully blended.
  • Carefully unroll the swiss roll and spread with 1/3 of the buttercream. Roll up and cut a short diagonal piece from the end and join it to the side of the log to form a branch. Spread with the remaining icing. Place on a cake board and sift over icing sugar and decorate with holly.

I'll not give the amounts of potatoes because each people will cater for different amounts of people with different appetites.

Cooking time: 50-60 minutes

Heat oven to 200 degrees
Put some oil in a baking tray and put in oven to heat
Peel potatoes
Boil for 5-8 minutes then drain in a colander
Shake vigourously so the potatoes can get their edges ruffled:happydance:
Put in hot tray and turn over
add salt & pepper to taste
turn potatoes after 25-30 minutes

check them at 50 minutes to make sure they're not too crispy and cook more if needed.

Very easy but yet alot of people wont try them:cloud9:

Tried this on sunday and they were beautiful, thanks :)

xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back