Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Well, I got my smiley a few days earlier than expected! Today is CD13 and I had my smiley this morning (I was expecting more like CD15 or CD16!). That was with the Clearblue Digital. My Wondfo from Amazon wasn't quite as dark as the test line, but it was darker than yesterday. Luckily, we are going to get our donor contract taken care of today and our donor has agreed to start tonight! Very excited, this is our first TTC! Very nervous as well!
That is so awesome! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Would you mind giving me the details on your insemination process?

I'm inseminating in less than two weeks and have tried before to no avail. I'm using OPKs by Clear Blue and am certain of when I ovulate, so I'll inseminate O-2, O-1, and O. I know every woman is different but it doesn't hurt to ask for advice :)
I would love to know this too...

We are ready to purchase from the sperm-bank but are contemplating switching gears and using a known donor. We have approximately two weeks to finalize our decision. I am nervous about using sperm from a bank as my son was conceived through a known donor. Knowing your process might guide me towards a more informed decision.

Welcome to all the new faces, I feel like I have been a part of this thread forever. I always come in here to check on you ladies. Anyway, here is the following things that I can say after being around for so long...

MIZCEE18 This is my 4th pregnancy all with donor sperm and insemination... Never heard of leaving the syringe in, that is a foreign object so I wouldn't go that route too often, of course I am saying this after your finished your last insem... But I have used a doctor as well and I can tell you that they take it out immediately. I think that you could benefit from using softcups. Get about 4-5 pillows or anything to elevate you high, remove the syringe, and then insert the soft cup. It is easier when you are at an angle as well. A pad will only catch your swimmers as they leave your body as they are designed to stop spillage in your clothes so I would say that isn't as useful either. If softcups are not comfy, I would prop myself up very high and stay there 30 minutes. Also consider if your cervix is tilted, if that is the case you will insem and then prop yourself up on your stomach. GL!FXD:dust:

:wave:How are the rest of you Ladies doing and feeling in here this week? NIM, how's that bean coming along?

Thanks for your reply! i hadnt heard of leaving the syringe in either until i was on here reading something about some women doing that, i only tried it once and wasnt comfortable with it. ill have to try the softcup next month :)

Well, I got my smiley a few days earlier than expected! Today is CD13 and I had my smiley this morning (I was expecting more like CD15 or CD16!). That was with the Clearblue Digital. My Wondfo from Amazon wasn't quite as dark as the test line, but it was darker than yesterday. Luckily, we are going to get our donor contract taken care of today and our donor has agreed to start tonight! Very excited, this is our first TTC! Very nervous as well!

good luck, fingers crosed!!! :)

HP123 what way did u insem?? Softcups? Syringe??
Funny you should ask dodgegirl. I usually don't tell many people this because it's TMI but because we are all in the same boat here, I will. We used a mini turkey baster. :) I know. I know. Ridiculous. In our defense I O'd early and we had not collected all our supplies. At the time we didn't know you could just buy a needless syringe from the drugstore. What a concept! When we got the donation and assumed the correct positions, my partner sucked it up into the mini baster, inserted, and squeezed the bulb. However she forgot the basics of how a turkey baster worked and did not take it out before she released the bulb; sucking our donation right back in again. As she was gagging, from her first exposure to semen, and maneuvering the baster I am sure I said something encouraging like "Are you kidding me!?" or "Seriously!?". On the second squeeze she remembered the mechanics of a baster and we made a baby. We often laugh about how young and naive we were at the time! Nine years later, hopefully slightly wiser and unfortunately FAR LESS FERTILE, we're at it again. As we only had to inseminate once to conceive our son, we are still novices in this game.

Funny you should ask dodgegirl. I usually don't tell many people this because it's TMI but because we are all in the same boat here, I will. We used a mini turkey baster. :) I know. I know. Ridiculous. In our defense I O'd early and we had not collected all our supplies. At the time we didn't know you could just buy a needless syringe from the drugstore. What a concept! When we got the donation and assumed the correct positions. My partner sucked it up into the mini baster, inserted, and squeezed the bulb. However she forgot the basics of how a turkey baster worked and did not take it out before she released the bulb; sucking our donation right back in again. As she was gagging, from her first exposure to semen, and maneuvering the baster I am sure I said something encouraging like "Are you kidding me!?" or "Seriously!?". On the second squeeze she remembered the mechanics of a baster and we made a baby. We often laugh about how young and naive we were at the time! Nine years later, hopefully slightly wiser and unfortunately FAR LESS FERTILE, we're at it again. As we only had to inseminate once to conceive our son, we are still novices in this game.
I LOVE that story :thumbup::haha: :) Good luck for this time.

Funny you should ask dodgegirl. I usually don't tell many people this because it's TMI but because we are all in the same boat here, I will. We used a mini turkey baster. :) I know. I know. Ridiculous. In our defense I O'd early and we had not collected all our supplies. At the time we didn't know you could just buy a needless syringe from the drugstore. What a concept! When we got the donation and assumed the correct positions, my partner sucked it up into the mini baster, inserted, and squeezed the bulb. However she forgot the basics of how a turkey baster worked and did not take it out before she released the bulb; sucking our donation right back in again. As she was gagging, from her first exposure to semen, and maneuvering the baster I am sure I said something encouraging like "Are you kidding me!?" or "Seriously!?". On the second squeeze she remembered the mechanics of a baster and we made a baby. We often laugh about how young and naive we were at the time! Nine years later, hopefully slightly wiser and unfortunately FAR LESS FERTILE, we're at it again. As we only had to inseminate once to conceive our son, we are still novices in this game.

this made me smile. my partner was gagging the first time she did it too, she wanted to use gloves to her elbows lol We used her brother as a donor, and that weirded her out i guess, i was like comeeeee on lol after a few insems she was a pro haha

this made me smile. my partner was gagging the first time she did it too, she wanted to use gloves to her elbows lol We used her brother as a donor, and that weirded her out i guess, i was like comeeeee on lol after a few insems she was a pro haha
Maybe it's a common theme?? LOL

Haha nice!!! You got lucky it only took one time!!! You mustve been young & fertile mertile!!! Lol
Good luck this time around!!

Haha nice!!! You got lucky it only took one time!!! You mustve been young & fertile mertile!!! Lol
Good luck this time around!!
I was 27. Now I'm 36 and I need assistance to ovulate. Geesh how times change :) We start Clomid on my next cycle.

omg ticking clock cant wait for update hun u got a birth partner hope all goes well cant wait for update and pics xxxxxxxxx

Thinking of you ticking :hugs: look forward to reading your story and seeing any pics of your beautiful girl that you may share :flower: SO exciting!! x

Yay ticking !!! Good luck !!!

I have a question for all of you. I had 2 fertility nurses tell me two different things....
One of said the chances of getting PG are higher with an IUI as opposed to at home insem. Then i talked to one today that says the chances are pretty much the same?

The price differences will be about the same b/c we will have to fly him here. But with the IUI they are making us wait 6 months for the sperm to be tested & whatnot, plus it will be from frozen sperm & not fresh. So im leaning towards flying him here so we can insem at home like we did last year for the 2 cycles that we tried. I dont want to have to wait 6 months as we are going to start in April..and with the IUI it will just be one insem as opposed to a few if he's here! plus its better if its fresh right!? :) thanks ladies. Youre the best!

Yay ticking !!! Good luck !!!

I have a question for all of you. I had 2 fertility nurses tell me two different things....
One of said the chances of getting PG are higher with an IUI as opposed to at home insem. Then i talked to one today that says the chances are pretty much the same?

The price differences will be about the same b/c we will have to fly him here. But with the IUI they are making us wait 6 months for the sperm to be tested & whatnot, plus it will be from frozen sperm & not fresh. So im leaning towards flying him here so we can insem at home like we did last year for the 2 cycles that we tried. I dont want to have to wait 6 months as we are going to start in April..and with the IUI it will just be one insem as opposed to a few if he's here! plus its better if its fresh right!? :) thanks ladies. Youre the best!

An IUI with fresh sperm has an equal to slightly higher chance of working than home insem with fresh sperm.

An IUI with FROZEN sperm has a higher chance of working than at home insem with FROZEN sperm.

However, and more to the point -- an IUI with FROZEN sperm has a much lower chance of working than home insem with FRESH sperm.

Frozen sperm is always worse. It just doesn't work as well as fresh sperm. And IUI just improves the playing field for using frozen sperm. IUI is also appropriate if you know you have a hostile vaginal environment. This is not the case for most women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->