Contraception question...

Blob.

Reaction score
After giving birth how soon do you go on contraception? Obv you won't be thinking about that straight away but I will not be wanting another baby! Does breastfeeding affect it? Do i ask midwife - when? Or go to docs?

It depends how NOT pregnant you want to be. You can't get pregnant within the first 2 weeks because you need to ovulate again etc. Breastfeeding exclusively and on demand can hold off ovulation but no-one wants to trust it 100% lol!! You also can't use some of the oral contraceptives. You will find the midwife will discuss it when you are discharged from hospital, your health visitor will also dicuss it at 2 weeks and your GP at 8 weeks.

You will need to use a barrier method till you have seen your GP ( 6-8wks pp ) and gotten a prescription for the Pill or till you have had a coil or implant fitted

You can ovulate as soon as 2 weeks after giving birth so do need to think about it if you don't want another bubba that soon lol!

If you are breastfeeding, from what I have read/been told, you can't use any contraception with estrogen in it such as the implant or combined pill as it can affect milk supply.

I used to be on the combined pill and thought I had to wait until my period arrived to start taking it again but my dr said I could start any time and just needed to wait 7 days.

xxx

It's normally sorted out with the doctor at your 6 week check. Most women don't dtd before then. If you want to, either visit the doctor earlier or take the usual precautions! BF doesn't affect the need for contraception, but it does limit the types you can use.

When the HV came out at the 10 day visit she arranged for the contriception nurse (at my agreement) to come & see me to discuss what contriception i was going to use. They came out the next day 7 chose the minipill as i'm bf, i could start taking it straight away so i was protected within a couple of days. I was then asked at my 6-8week check if i'd got something sorted.

I 'm exclusively breastfeeding and have just started on the mini pill, apparently thats ok to take x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->