Countdown to Canada

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
4 days ago we booked tickets to fly home to Canada after 10 years abroad. We leave in just 42 days (due to FIL ill health we wanted to be there and out of quarantine in time for Christmas, hence the rush). So much to do and so little time to do it! So I thought I would make a separate journal to document my progress and keep me accountable and not clutter up my regular journal with it anymore.

My house looks like such a tip at the moment but we actually got *so* much accomplished.
The kids' packed two suitcases worth of their favourite toys and stuffed animals and I have gone through at least 90% of the remainder to sort into things to chuck (the boxes on the left) and donate (nearly everything on the shelf apart from one pile of puzzles and a couple other things on another shelf that I will be packing. Their toys will be culled a bit further as time goes on (they don't need to bring all 40 barbies they packed) But for now everything else is getting taken out of the house.
I also made it through half of the bookshelf culling books that wont be making the trip.

Between last night and this morning I also finished the second last step of sewing all 50ish masks our family will need for the flight and transit to our end destination. The elastic to finish them is currently in the mail.

I've also been mentally compiling lists of other things to cull, and have been putting together some donation boxes of random things I've been coming across.
The only kitchen thing I think I want to bring is my pressure canner, but only if we have room and it's not too heavy... And my chicken basket.
I have to go through my junk drawer and will likely chuck some things from there, and a few holey teatowels and wash cloths, but most things in my kitchen will just be donated.
Clothing is going to be a giant undertaking and will go through several stages of culling. I'm also dreading going through my fabric and craft supplies...

Can't actually start selling anything yet until DH gives his 3 weeks notice at work. He plans to finish 10 days before departure and doesn't want to give notice before he is contractually obligated to in case they turn around and give him 3 weeks notice to not have to pay him for the additional week or two he is willing to work, which in his field happens quite a bit apparently.

20201021_145749.jpg 20201021_145806.jpg 20201021_122128.jpg

Following here too <3. Sounds like you’re doing a great job in getting organised.

Reactions: NDH
I'm here :ninja: What an exciting time!
You're doing great with all the organising :)

Yay, I found it!
Well done on getting so much done!

Looks like you're doing brilliantly, keep at it, but remember to keep something to sit on!! Xx

Wow - I could learn a trick or two following you.

Praying and hoping this is a smooth process for you. I can imagine it being difficult going through a couple things and having to let go of them or sell them off.

Looks like you're doing brilliantly, keep at it, but remember to keep something to sit on!! Xx
Haha no worries there. Our couches are in terrible condition and will end up at the tip, so they will be in the last load we take.
We will be living with my parents for a week or so before departure as well which will make us not so rushed at getting rid of the final big things (like fridge, freezer, washing machine etc)

My parents came over yesterday at work and my mom took all the boxes of stuff to donate with here so they ate out of my house and the kids cant go back through them and mix them together lol. Dh is bringing our trailer into the yard this morning before he leaves for work so we can start filling it with rubbish to do a tip run this weekend.

I'm hoping DHs letter of employment from his friend in canada has come through so I can apply for us to leave the country today and get the ball rolling there. It says applications are taking about 4 weeks to process, unless it's an emergency, so I want to leave us plenty of time in case they need further supporting documentation or something. This part of the process is the part I'm most worried about. There are too many horror stories of people with perfectly legitimate reasons to leave the country being denied or outright ignored due to insufficient supporting documentation and then they miss their flights. Apparently it isnt happening as often lately, and the "moving to another country" reason was replaced simply with "leaving australia for 3 months or more" and I would really hope that notice to vacate, letter of resignation, one way tickets and a job offer in another country would be sufficient evidence that we aren't going on a holiday less than 3 months, but still I worry.

I hope the paper work all goes through smoothly for you. I had 2 groups of relatives have to cancel visits to me this year because of restrictions, but each were only coming for a few weeks. The frustrating part of any big life change is the part that is outside of your control, the bureaucracy, you seem well in control of everything else so hopefully this will happen nice and quickly.

Yeah regular visits are still tricky due to the quarantines most countries have in place (are there any that dont?) And you still still need visas from the destination country which very few will be processing. We are moving back home though, and citizens can't be denied entry into their home country.
I think Australia is the only country however requiring citizens and permanent residents apply to *leave* the country, and only accepting very limited reasons. I really dont know why though or how they are justifying such extreme measures when they are so strict about quarantine as well (each inbound traveller is charged $3000 to quarantine for two weeks - or until they test negative if they test positive during quarantine - in a guarded government hotel), and you cant get on a plane without valid visas to the destination country, so if a person can get a visa to somewhere in the first place and accepts that they have to spend $3000 on quarantine on their return, it shouldn't make any difference to the government whether its frivolous or necessary. :shrug:

My family are all in Australia, hence the problem, I am in Scotland. I know there have been a few stories in the press here about Australian citizens being stuck here because of flight cancellations relating to the entry requirements! You are going home to your own country, I am completely sure you will be fine.

Power outage today so I havent been able to do the application to leave.
With the trailer brought up to the house I've been working on filling it with stuff that is not suitable for donation and have been making good progress.

I just saw a post in a local facebook group looking for donations of craft supplies for special needs adults who are allowed to start a covid-safe craft program and I have just been in touch with the organizer who is happy to take the things I will be needing to get rid of. So knowing they will be put to good use will help motivate me to start going through them while the babies nap. So much easier to do when I know where it's going and can immediately do it - figuring out what to do with the things I'm culling takes up an equal, if not greater, amount of energy for me.

Hope the applications go smoothly when you’re able to apply!

And that’s great that you’ve found a worthy cause for the craft bits <3

Craft stuff done :)
I packed up a box of tulle and rib knit, a box of flannel, 3/4 of a box of yarn, and a box with felt and a bunch of other random things.
There were lots of "oh but...s" and "I'm sure I can make room for...s" and quite a few "oh maybe I should at least try to sell that...s" I'm sure I would be appalled at how much I spent on everything because I like to buy things in bulk to "save money" instead of just what I need for my projects (but really the shipping is killer so it does make sense to maximize postage. I have used a lot of what I've bought, and if it wasnt for an international move there would still be many opportunities for me to keep using it over my lifetime so I guess it really isnt that bad.)

I kept half my yarn and I'm planning not to get rid of all my cotton fabric and corduroy unless there isnt room once everything else is packed.
I still need to start selling my minky. Ugh. Unlike the rest of my craft and sewing stuff that is something I do really regret having bought so much of. Even though it was for nappies I was selling I did not need nearly as much as I have and I will be lucky to get back 1/10th of what I spent because i just dont have the energy to list everything individually, or the time to wait for a good price.
Oh well.

Hoping all the paperwork goes through soon.

Well done for doing a lot of the craft stuff! Can imagine it’s not easy sorting through stuff you’d love to keep.

I really hope the paperwork arrives in time and that your application to leave australia is approved. It does seem very strange that you have to apply to leave the country.

Well done on boxing up so many craft supplies. It definitely helps knowing where it's going and that it will be put to good use.
I'm glad your mom also took a couple of other boxes to donate. I fully understand boxing things up and having them unboxed and muddled up again by the kids!

Where in Canada are you going? Sorry if I missed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"