Countdown to Canada

Sounds like good progress with the clothes sorting :thumbup:

It's been a slow few days. Thursday I delivered all my craft supplies (5 boxes worth) to the NDIS as promised so now there is room in the office to start clearing out shelves.
But honestly that's about all I've done.
Yesterday we went to the zoo for the last time and used it as an opportunity to practice wearing masks for the kids (getting the babies to get used to seeing us wear masks and getting the bigger kids used to wearing them and putting them on and off themselves) we have more work to do on the kids not touching them and being able to put them on their shelves, but my proper mask elastic just arrived in the mail which will make it much easier than the thick woven elastic which is all I had at home. Even I struggled with that kind. Have sewn elastic in a couple masks for each person this morning and it's much better. Will finish all the masks this today if I can

Also intend to take a fee more boxes of junk out to the trailer today and we'll do a tip run this weekend.

DH has given notice so I can start listing stuff for sale.

We got an email from the airline last night that our flight has been changed from december 2 to December 4. Thank goodness we hadn't arranged car rentals to get to and from the airport yet and a good reminder in these uncertain times to allow for flexibility when we do in case of further changes.

DH normally has excellent reading comprehension but he totally dropped the ball on the change in itinerary. It's only the second leg of the trip that has been delayed. We still leave *here* on December 2 as planned, but now instead of a 4 hour stopover in hong kong we have a 2 1/2 day stopover....

Will have to confirm with the airline that we will be provided with 2 nights accommodation but that's the standard practice I believe.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I really dont want to be in hong kong for more than a couple hours. On the other hand it will be nice to have the trip broken up and get to have a couple of good nights sleep, and have a contained place to let the kids move.
Back to the cons, it means I have to make more masks (or maybe not - could give an opportunity to hand wash and dry the ones from the first leg), and will need to dedicate more carry on space for nappies and snacks and clothes)
But another huge pro is our landing time has changed from 8:30pm, meaning a hotel in Vancouver as we wouldn't make the last ferry, to 11:30am.

Wow, 5 boxes of craft supplies! I'm envious! :mrgreen:❤️

That's a good idea using the zoo trip as an opportunity for them to practise wearing masks. Hopefully they will get used to it soon so that things will go more smoothly when they do have to wear them.

That is a long stopover in Hong Kong!

Reactions: NDH
Havent contacted the airline but did look up the policy and they dont pay for hotel stays during stopovers generally, so I'm not counting that they will, but in these situations where a flight is changed to be a longer stopover than booked they might so I will keep my fingers crossed.
I did look up hotels near the airport and there are cheap ones where we could pay under $120 for two nights which would be a lot cheaper than 1 night in Vancouver would have cost us so we could still come out ahead. Would have to figure out food and transit between hotel and airport, whereas an airline making the arrangements would typically also cover all that. But we'll make it work.

Sucks about the changed flight, but could definitely work out to your advantage giving the babies especially a bit of a break from the long trip. Pretty sure the bigger kids would also benefit from the break.
Pity about needing more nappies though, but possibly a minor inconvenience for the greater convenience.

I bet the NDIS were thrilled. To get 5 boxes of craft supplies! That's a huge amount!

Glad you've had a bit of an opportunity to introduce the kids to wearing masks in a non-stressful situation.

So much stress!
I (*cough* DH *cough*) need to call the airline and figure out what the changed flight means and try not to panic until then. Because I am so confused by what I am finding.
Mandatory 2 week government hotel quarantine upon entering hong kong (same as in Australia) so idk if we would even be able to leave the airport to go to a hotel. And also we can only transit through hong kong if our connection flight is within 24 hours of our arrival. Which its been changed to be 20 hours. But if we attempt to change our flight to the following day to reduce the layover time, then we may not meet another criteria for transiting through hong kong (that both flights must be made on the same booking)
I did also then read that they will do saliva covid testing in the airport, and if negative and you have a confirmation booking for a hotel you can leave the airport. But again, if we wont be considered transiting passengers will that apply to us?
Gah. Anxiety is creeping in.

Oh no! I hope that you find out some answers soon

I hope you're able to get answers soon. I hate unknowns.

Oh NDH, I hope it all get resolved reasonably easily for you all. You've been so busy you must be exhausted which wont make wading through the bureaucracy any easier right now. Did you book the flights directly or through a travel agent? I'm wondering if there's anyone you can speak to face to face who can help you with it. Xx

We booked ourselves directly through the airline

Sounds so stressful to figure out! Hope you get some answers soon!

Dh just got off the phone with the airline. Because they put us in a situation of essentially not being allowed to board the plane (the rules for transiting through Hong Kong are super strict right now) they changed our flight to December 6th, same times as we originally had booked for the 2nd for no additional cost. So an easy fix and a few extra days here to get organized. Praying that there are no more big changes.

While dh was on the phone I was taking a few more boxes of things out to the trailer, including the seagrass dresser from my room which turned out to be *covered* in mold. The back and bottom where white and fuzzy. Yuk.

Absolutely brilliant!! So please for you - you'll get a sounder sleep tonight knowing this. Xx

That's great news! So pleased that it worked out :)

I'm so glad the airline were helpful and got you sorted.
Yikes about the dresser!

Applied for our travel exemptions today. I was probably the most anxious about that part than anything else. Everything else may be hard but I have at least done it before at less-hard degrees and know we will be able to scale it just fine. This is something new and out of our control and literally the make or break point of the trip.
Well our approval came back in less than an hour :haha: so all that anxiety for nothing. It feels like *such* a weight lifted.

After taking a load to the tip yesterday, today Dh has been working on emptying out the office and I have been doing multiple loads of laundry - mostly DHs and mine this time. Filled another basket for the op shop which mom took back with her after visiting today and have been identifying which clothes of DH and mine we will be taking and disposing of.

The house is still slowly but steadily being emptied of *stuff* and it is filling me with renewed determination to keep our volume of stuff down when we move. It feels so nice to have so much more space.

Glad the travel exemptions got approved so quickly and that the flight/stopover issues got sorted out!

That's great that your application for the travel exemptions got approved so quickly :)
Sounds like you're making lots of progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->