Countdown to Canada

Got a few more things put in the trailer which dh has taken to the tip today. While hes been away I've been working on another pile of stuff to put in the next tip load. I've been working on my closet - so far have sorted a tub of cloth nappies to give away (dhs coworker's partner is having a baby in a few months so we will offer them first pick if they plan to cloth diaper, otherwise I will list them on a giveaway page. A basket of garbage, a basket of clothing dir the op shop, and a basket of the twins' newborn nappies that I'm not sure whether I want to sell for $10 each and just keep two keepsake ones (i have 1 newborn one from each of the other three kids as keepsakes), sell half of them and keep the other half in case we have another baby (likely), or keep the lot in case we have another baby and I wish I had enough to not have to wash every single day lol.
I have another basket overflowing with wraps and baby carriers that I need to figure out what to sell or donate and whether I should keep any.

Dh easily has an entire suitcase worth of shoes and boots - and that's after taking 4 or 5 pairs to the tip today lol. His feet are a massive size 13 so each one pair of his shoes takes up the volume of 5 pairs of mine lol - and I'll only be taking the shoes I wear on my feet lol.

I also have two tubs if baby clothes I'm going to take straight to the op shop without even looking in them, and in that same closer I'm in the process of sorting I forgot dh has an entire suitcase worth of table top games that hes probably going to insist on bringing - even though the boxes take up *so* much space and he will absolutely refuse to consider leaving the boxes behind or even breaking them down flat to reassemble later.
Its looking like we might need more suitcases than I first thought...(we can take 14 plus 7 carry on but I was planning for no more than 10 and ideally hoping to aim for 8. Even 10 suitcases will be a logistical nightmare to get to the airport and then to DHs house.)

Sounds like you've been making great progress with your sorting and clearing out.

Reactions: NDH
I'm so glad to have this to look back on because I *have* done so much. Looking around there is still *so* much stuff though. Even though you can see lots of gaps where it's obvious stuff has been removed from it would be easy to be discouraged by how much there still is, instead of proud of how much I've accomplished this week already. And even though I talked about doing the easy stuff first and saving the hard stuff for later, what I've done this week has mostly been the hard stuff. :thumbup:

Goes to show how much crap my house is full of :dohh: I have to keep better habits when we move this is so embarrassing. Lol.

DH has helped me figure out the rest of the closet - havent actually moved anything else out of it yet but I know where it's going which is a good step.
He also says to go ahead and sell the nappies - if they dont sell then we'll try to pack them but may as well try.

You have done tons! You should definitely be proud of what you’ve accomplished so far!

You really have done a lot. It certainly can be very demotivating when there's still so much left and it doesn't look like you've done as much as you have. Pretty soon you'll really start to see the results of the clear outs though.

I'm glad dh helped with ideas for what to do with the closet things.

37 (and a half) days to go. (25-30 til we plan to be out of this house)

Today my parents came over for 3ish hours to help watch the kids so DH and I could smash through the shed without interruptions. There were still interruptions of course lol. But it still let us get a lot accomplished. Theres an awesome workbenches in the shed which honestly had a tonne of our junk deposited on and under it when we moved in 4 years ago and in that time has only accumulated more stuff in that time. The only stuff that's been moved away was because of severe damage etc basically... And since we used to store the chicken feed in an old freezer right next to the bench and most of the empty feed bags have ended up shoved under the bench, the whole area also ended up covered in rat/mouse poo. Eww. Honestly it was a job I've been seriously dreading.
With the kids occupied we got the whole workbenches cleared off and either thrown out or sorted into things that can be easily cleaned to sell or donate on the other end of the shed, thoroughly swept off, swept/shoveled under and then scrubbed with disinfectant. Meanwhile we also got the two (thoroughly disorganized- what else is new?) Shelving units cleared off and also sorted. Our donate vs sell piles didn't get separated fully, but all the junk in there has been put in the trailer for the next tip run. Still have to clean the sink bench and shelves above the sink/laundry. But that was a *big* job nearly done.
Also chose the two newborn nappies I'm saving for adira and ezekiels keepsake boxes and photographed the rest to sell - mom has a coworker who may be interested in a few of them, and threw away my belly casts and a couple of other hard things I just had to RIP off the bandaid :(

My mom took away the three bins of clothes I have ready for the opshop and a closet full of hangers, and attempted to take away a wooden chess/checkers/backgammon at 3 or 4 other games set that hasnt seen the light of day in years (literally. It was in a black garbage bag at the back of my closet and wasnt used at the previous two houses we lived at either) but the girls found it and have claimed it for now and have spent the afternoon playing checkers

It sounds like you had such a productive day!
It must have been difficult to get rid of the sentimental items.

The belly casts must have been so hard to ditch. :hugs:

Well done on accomplishing so much in the shed. I bet that's a load off your back having done that.

So great that your parents were able to help occupy the kids and also remove some of the stuff for op shop and donation etc.

Great that your parents were able to help with the kids for a bit so you and your DH could sort through the shed. Sounds like you made huge progress with it! Getting rid of the sentimental bits like the belly casts must’ve been so hard though so well done on ripping off that band aid :hugs:

Didnt have a whole lot of energy today to do too much (related to the move that is) I went through the kids clothes and put the best condition and for the most part season appropriate clothes in a suitcase to pack, got rid of an armload of clothes that they never wear put in an op shop basket, and then tidied up their drawers. Laundry is such a never ending cycle that I never did get it done when I had everything washed (in the 30 whole seconds I was finished with laundry lol) the other day and now have another full load on the dryer and a half load already in the hamper since emptying it this morning.... but as I found a bunch of dirty laundry hiding in their closets it's just as well. Starting now with a clean slate with an empty folding pile, so now as the next loads come in I'll go through them as well for any clothes to take. My 4 year old only has 3 pairs of pants, 2 shirts and a hoodie worth taking... lol but about 40 pairs of underwear. We're just taking minimal clothing as we can replace that all quite easily and seasonally appropriate once we're there, but that might be a little *too* minimal lol.
DH wont have too much more than that to bring tbh (he will try, but I will put my foot down lol) and I have zero shirts that meet the criteria to bring but I suppose I should bring a couple and just replace them as quickly as I am able. Lol
I've whittled down my skirt collection though and will do a second cull later. Most of my skirts are silk though and really won't take up much room in a suitcase.

Also cleaned, photographed and listed for sale two items.

:hi: Following - where do you live at the moment? Sounds like a ton of stuff to do before you leave but I’m sure you can get it all done, you seem good at organising. Good luck with everything :)

Well done on the laundry/clothes sorting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"