Couple of questions from a new mummy

Gem1302

Mummy to 1
Reaction score
Hi guys, I had my baby last week so guess I belong in here now! A couple of questions.....

My one week old is rather strong, can *almost* lift his head but not quite! but has no trouble rolling from his back to his belly! is there anything I can do to stop him doing this in the night? It makes me nervous that he could end up face down and not breathing, or am I worrying for nothing?

And I breastfed for his first 24 hours then switched to formula, but today my boobs are suddenly huge, heavy, sore and leaking, one more than the other as he fed mainly from one boob when he did bf, is there anything I can do for the pain and how long does this normally last?

Finally, I had an emergency c-section, the four days I was in hospital the midwives said if I passed a clot bigger than a golf ball to tell them, since being home I've passed 2 about the size of my hand. I rang my midwife the first time and NHS direct the second time and they seem to think it's ok...guess I'm just looking for other experiences/reassurance? Bleeding has slowed lots since the clots.

Thanks ladies, sorry for all the questions!

Congratulations!

My baby could also hold his head from probably day 1 but I have honestly never heard of a baby being able to roll as a newborn! Do you put him on his back and he rolls by himself? I would try and wedge him using those wedges. Like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollover-P...0722896&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+sleep+positioner

Thank you!
Yep we always lay him flat on his back, he's done it since day 3 and apparently I did it too! I told his dad off for putting him on his front but he said he didn't and now he does it all the time! Might look into the wedges, thanks :) x

Hi, congratulations!!

The only one I can really advise on is the boobs. When I stopped breastfeeding my boobs were like that for about 4 days, getting slightly easier by the day but my god were they painful!! I had to express about an ounce from each of the first two days when I couldn't deal with the pain, just before bed was the best time. People say go cold turkey cos it's quicker but for me, a tiny express helped.

Jensen is a gorgeous name :) enjoy being a mum!

Bx

Ahh ok, I think I can handle four days, just didn't want it to be weeks & weeks lol, they're getting in the way when I carry him!

Thank you :D x

Anytime :)

Sleeping was the worst bit for me! Ouch!! Lol

X

Yeah can imagine it'll be uncomfortable! Ahh well lol, the things we go through!

Forgot to say you can also use a rolled up towel (just keep it away from his face and make sure it he's feet to foot position and the towels do not go past his waist) to position him. I always did this with my baby in his moses basket, not because he rolled but because he liked to be snuggled in.

Once my milk really came in I suppose they only hurt for a couple of days it really does dry up very quick and won't stay engirged for long. They hurt at the sides thou don't they :dohh:

As for bleeding I lost huge clots too. Almost grapefruit size but my mw checked them and said it's where the bloody pools and clumps together and then comes out all at once iykwim. Gross thou isn't it! One was so big I was sure I was having another baby haha.

Our lo could also lift his head from day 1 to stop him rolling I bought a sleepyhead. Keeps him all nice and snuggly.

Enjoy your new baba! X

All my babies could lift their heads from day one as well. I have something like the first poster posted in her bassinett. Just keep it down away from their face and it works like a charm. I would invest in one that way if you just want to lay him on the bed and walk away for something he would be secure. Congrats on your baby !

Ok thanks everyone :) that puts my mind at rest about the clots too! was starting to worry!

Once my milk really came in I suppose they only hurt for a couple of days it really does dry up very quick and won't stay engirged for long. They hurt at the sides thou don't they :dohh:

As for bleeding I lost huge clots too. Almost grapefruit size but my mw checked them and said it's where the bloody pools and clumps together and then comes out all at once iykwim. Gross thou isn't it! One was so big I was sure I was having another baby haha.

Our lo could also lift his head from day 1 to stop him rolling I bought a sleepyhead. Keeps him all nice and snuggly.

Enjoy your new baba! X

Yes they really are gross! I thought they left my placenta in there and it was coming out! Lolx

Enjoy your new baba! X

Yes they really are gross! I thought they left my placenta in there and it was coming out! Lolx

Haha so did I! Mine exploded fortunately just after lo appeared and I had to have a manual extraction. Not pleasant. But I was convinced they'd left some behind x

Keep your boobs WELL strapped up!!! Good supportive bra plus a belly band/tight top if you have one xx

Re: your boobs - buy a SAVOY cabbage with leaves as green as you can get. Tear off the leaves and put them in the fridge. When chilled pad your bra cup with them until you feel them essentially "cook" then replace with new cold leaves. The coolness eases the heat and the cabbage leaves help draw out any possible infection. Keep 'em well strapped too.

My mw advised me of this and it made it so much more bearable. I only bf Ollie for 48 hours as he was tongue tied and couldn't latch so was starving and dehydrated. My boobs KILLED when my milk came in but the cabbage worked!

Ok, strapped up wrapped up boobs with cabbage leaves, will try it! my mean OH just tried to squeeze them so I nearly punched him haha bloody hurt! Yeah jenson fed great the first day and I really enjoyed it then one nipple started to bleed - got an infection and he wouldn't latch on the other, even with the midwives help and expressing produced 0, and he had no dirty or wet nappies for over 24 hours so I went onto formula. As long as the milk dries up quickly I'll be happy lol.

Enjoy your new baba! X

Haha so did I! Mine exploded fortunately just after lo appeared and I had to have a manual extraction. Not pleasant. But I was convinced they'd left some behind x

Ooh doesn't sound pleasant! Looking forward to my body getting back to normal now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->