Debate: - Gun Laws and Self Defence

god people must be thinking i will be an awful mummy ...... i don't wish to murder murderers and i don't wand to shoot burgulars :shrug:

I will love my child and protect the the best way I feel I can ..... honest!

lol, hun, no-one thinks you are an awful mumma. You are just showing compassion which is one of the most important things for a society...:hugs:

Lolno hun, You are a great mum. What I would say though is Ihave compassion and empathy etc but if you had no other choice hun your intincts will kick in
xx

Lolno hun, You are a great mum. What I would say though is Ihave compassion and empathy etc but if you had no other choice hun your intincts will kick in
xx

oops, I wasnt implying that someone isnt compassionate if you will kill a murderer or shoot a burglar...I am really crap at explaining myself. I should have made that clear!! sorry :flower: xx

and I know what you are saying. You are referring to the fight or flight response mentioned earlier. it's not a conscious resonse, its a biological one :thumbup: Fight or Flight or Freeze

Lol no hun that wasn't aimed at anyone

And yes it's fight or flight. I would prefer to run but I can't I will fight
xx

I haven't read the whole thread as I missed the start of it, but based on the last few pages I agree with buttonnose in that I can't imagine ever shooting, stabbing someone etc. In fact the thought of it makes me feel physically sick. But at the same time I don't think we ever know what we're capable of until we've been put in that position and if Edward, OH and I were under threat I don't know what I'd be capable of.

On the original post, I think the problem in this country is the use of the words "reasonable force" when it comes to self defence as there is no set definition of what they mean, and whereas reasonable to me might be punch or hitting them with an object to someone else it could be shooting them dead.

I haven't read the whole thread as I missed the start of it, but based on the last few pages I agree with buttonnose in that I can't imagine ever shooting, stabbing someone etc. In fact the thought of it makes me feel physically sick. But at the same time I don't think we ever know what we're capable of until we've been put in that position and if Edward, OH and I were under threat I don't know what I'd be capable of.

On the original post, I think the problem in this country is the use of the words "reasonable force" when it comes to self defence as there is no set definition of what they mean, and whereas reasonable to me might be punch or hitting them with an object to someone else it could be shooting them dead.

I agree!

Hayley, your new pic is gorgeous :flower: xx

This has been quite the interesting thread to read through.
The laws from country to country are quite different, so the legalities involved in a thread like this can become easily confused.

Here in Canada, the laws are quite restrictive on what you can, and can not do. The justice system has gotten to the point where the criminal has far more rights then the victim. In the Canadian Charter of rights, we do have the right to defend ourselves and our property with force, if necessary.

Personally, I would not hesitate to answer force with force to protect my OH, the baby she is carrying, and our little girl. My personal beliefs are that, once a criminal enters my home, intent on causing harm, his personal rights are no longer valid. He has essentially violated my rights, as well as every other person's rights in my home. I am fully prepared to face any legal problems that could stem from this. I will not allow harm to come to my family if I can do anything about it.

One thing that does need to be said, is that even those who don't think they would be able to protect themselves. When (god forbid) you are put into that position your natural instincts, be it for self preservation or to protect your young, could very well take over. The Proverbial "Pussy Cat into Tiger".

i would never have a gun in my house and don't think that anyone should be allowed one, there are too many nasty accidents involving children and you are statistically much more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder.
about defending yourself i think it's tricky. i don't think someone that robs you deserves to die but on the other hand you're not going to go check what weapon they have and say if you're holding a knife and they're not put it down so it's a 'fair fight'

i would never have a gun in my house and don't think that anyone should be allowed one, there are too many nasty accidents involving children and you are statistically much more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder.
about defending yourself i think it's tricky. i don't think someone that robs you deserves to die but on the other hand you're not going to go check what weapon they have and say if you're holding a knife and they're not put it down so it's a 'fair fight'

Your opinion is a common one, especially amongst those that live in the city. (not saying that you do as I don't know) Statistically speaking, a child is much more likely to be run over by a motor vehicle then to receive a gunshot. As the firearms laws here in Canada have become more and more restrictive, I have learned a lot more about the common accidents that happen in the household. As a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner, I can assure you that my firearms are stored safely, in accordance with the law. Children, and those who do not have my direct permission do not have access to the firearms at any time. Most firearms that are involved in any criminal activity are not legal firearms to start with. Most are "Black Market" firearms that have been brought into the country illegally.

With the ebb and tide of the firearms laws, there has been lots of misinformation and outright lies spread by those that would like to see firearms banned from society. Many of the people that I speak to, that are against firearms have taken what has been said by the media and "anti gun" crowd to be the whole truth. While I do not personally try to change their mind, I do urge them to look a little deeper into the facts regarding firearms laws, what it takes to be a legal firearms owner, and the true statistics regarding accidents. Most would be appalled to know, that in the United States, a Child is almost 10,000 times more likely to die from drowning in the family swimming pool then to be a victim of Gun Crime. Should be ban family swimming pools?

On the self defense side of things, does a robber deserve to die? No, I don't think so. But if its a decision of him or you, or him or your child, I think any parent would do what is necessary to protect their children. Any person who breaks into your home with a weapon, is intent on using it. Be it a Gun, Knife or Baseball bat, they are all just as lethal. In fact, in close quarters a Knife is more dangerous then a gun.

Honestly. I think it should be legal. Either way, I don't care. I would in a second, hurt someone if they came near me. I had someone break in to my apartment when I was 18 and I didn't attack them, but now with H, and after my brother was attacked and stabbed downtown here, I would stab someone without blinking. Ideally, I would have a taser and taser them. :lol:

Your opinion is a common one, especially amongst those that live in the city. (not saying that you do as I don't know) Statistically speaking, a child is much more likely to be run over by a motor vehicle then to receive a gunshot. As the firearms laws here in Canada have become more and more restrictive, I have learned a lot more about the common accidents that happen in the household. As a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner, I can assure you that my firearms are stored safely, in accordance with the law. Children, and those who do not have my direct permission do not have access to the firearms at any time. Most firearms that are involved in any criminal activity are not legal firearms to start with. Most are "Black Market" firearms that have been brought into the country illegally.

With the ebb and tide of the firearms laws, there has been lots of misinformation and outright lies spread by those that would like to see firearms banned from society. Many of the people that I speak to, that are against firearms have taken what has been said by the media and "anti gun" crowd to be the whole truth. While I do not personally try to change their mind, I do urge them to look a little deeper into the facts regarding firearms laws, what it takes to be a legal firearms owner, and the true statistics regarding accidents. Most would be appalled to know, that in the United States, a Child is almost 10,000 times more likely to die from drowning in the family swimming pool then to be a victim of Gun Crime. Should be ban family swimming pools?

On the self defense side of things, does a robber deserve to die? No, I don't think so. But if its a decision of him or you, or him or your child, I think any parent would do what is necessary to protect their children. Any person who breaks into your home with a weapon, is intent on using it. Be it a Gun, Knife or Baseball bat, they are all just as lethal. In fact, in close quarters a Knife is more dangerous then a gun.

Agree. My brother was swarmed by 15 guys outside of the library and stabbed 5 times in his lung. Knife is just as bad and way more people then you think are walking around with knives.

I would also have a gun in my house, if I knew how to use one. I don't, and I have no real interest right now, but I would consider in the future.

I used to carry a knife when I partied a lot ... though if I needed to find it, I doubt I would have been able to with all the other junk I carried around :dohh:

Its illegal to carry a knife on you up here ;o

I think its illegal here too, I'm sure it's not legal to carry any weapons.

I used to carry a knife too. :shhh: It's legal to carry a pocket knife here as long as it's not a switch or butterfly blade, and the blade is straight and shorter than 3 inches long... but mine had a wicked curved short blade, so... not legal. Ooops! lol

I don't know where everyone is located, but in Canada, the law is often misunderstood. Most people think that the law says it must be under a 6 inch blade (or 4 or 3 depending on who you talk to.) But in fact you could have any size of knife on you that you please, as long as it is not concealed. When in public, it is perfectly legal to have my hunting knife on my belt (7 inch blade) as long as it can be seen. Where the law comes in is if I had it hidden, at that point it becomes a concealed weapon. A Butterfly knife, (Ballasong) or a switchblade (Stiletto) are both considered weapons in Canada, and are illegal to carry.
If caught with a Butterfly knife, or Switchblade you are likely to be charged with "possession of a weapon dangerous to the public" Which is a different charge all together then "Possession of a concealed weapon" Although, quite often you will see these charges laid at the same time.
I hope this info is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->