Debate: - Gun Laws and Self Defence

This debate seems to be turning into a gun debate so i thought i would add my 2 pence worth. I don't believe guns should be legal at all in the u.k. no matter what they are used for. Just look at Dumblane :nope:

You know that taxi driver who went around recently and randomly killed a load of people in the UK....we were discussing that...over here, the guy probably would have been shot after he killed the first person - potentially saving the lives of the following victims...

Just something interesting to consider. Of course this brings all sorts of other potential scenarios into play - but there would likely have been someone over here, with a conceal and carry license, carrying their handgun, who could've stopped him early on.

I don't think they would have stopped him after he killed the first person i think more people would have ended up dead. People would have just being shooting everywhere if they were all carryin guns. As for police carrying guns -The columbine shootings in America, the police carry guns yet it still took them along time to get into the school to find the gunmen dead after shooting alot of people. So poilce carrying guns didn't make alot of difference there.

Oh, waaaaay back to the original topic lol- even if someone is prosecuted for going too far protecting their home, that should be as far as it goes. NO WAY should the intruder be compensated for his injuries!!! Let a judge & jury decide if the home defender went to far and should be punished, but to give any sort of reward to the criminal or his family is ludicrous IMO.

it some what disturbs me, to be honest, that someone can aim a gun at anyone or even anything and shoot it ...... maybe i have lived a sheltered life?

Buttonnose I think me and you have similar views when it comes to human rights and stuff. I've agreed with you with MANY posts.

In the Columbine shootings, the assailants had guns that are not legal to carry and were far more lethal than what the cops carry; they also had explosive devices (most of which fortunately were duds). Such an extreme example is not really relevant to the sort of crimes cops usually prevent, or criminals they stop, by using their guns.

it some what disturbs me, to be honest, that someone can aim a gun at anyone or even anything and shoot it ...... maybe i have lived a sheltered life?

Yes, it is disturbing that people find pleasure in harming others. But that same person would find pleasure in stabbing someone, or beating them with a crowbar, or strangling them with a piano wire. I couldn't shoot someone in normal circumstances, nor could I injure anyone in normal circumstances.

But to protect my daughter, I could do anything.

Oh, waaaaay back to the original topic lol- even if someone is prosecuted for going too far protecting their home, that should be as far as it goes. NO WAY should the intruder be compensated for his injuries!!! Let a judge & jury decide if the home defender went to far and should be punished, but to give any sort of reward to the criminal or his family is ludicrous IMO.

Agree!!!!

Are we done already? lol Wow, that one went fast! :lol:

Oooh just thought of a good topic for future debate! *off to find debate club thread*

I feel this way too really. I can't imagine ever shooting even an animal. I haven't even seen a real gun, never touched one. I wouldn't even know how to use one properly. I am thankful I live in a country where it's not as easy as just walking into a store, showing my id and bam a gun is given out to them.

I could never ever shoot someone in cold blood. And I wouldn't shoot a burgular IF I didn't feel threatned. But if they have a weapon and put one foot near my sons room I would shoot them. And I do not beleive if an strange man/woman went into your childs bedroom with a knife whatever there intentions that you wouldn't shoot them. Like I said earlier and soon as they come into the vicinity where Aidan is sleeping, the I will use whatever I can to stop them. My son's safety and life comes before their human rights. But having said that I wouldnt shoot to Kill I would probably aim for their legs or something taht would hurt enough for them to stop. And I wouldn't use any other force once they can no longer harm me or my child
xx

What even to protect your child?
xx

to protect my child, i'd grab them and run, 99% of the time your common burgular is going to want to get in and out as fast as possible, I'd sit and let them take what the hell they like (except my child) or i'd run, I think i would be protecting my child more by letting them just take what they want to take, clear me out for all I care, because my child doesn't need to see me shoot or stab another person and my child doesn't deserve to live without a mummy because i am in prison for shooting/stabbing someone

I mean the type of burgulars who liek to hurt you aswell. Like on crimewatch last night a man beaten to death just for a burglary. You can't run past them if they are on your landing blocking the stairs.

I just couldn't risk this burgular not being a nut job. As some prefer not to hurt the people some like it or just do it for the sake of it. Like I said IF I felt threatned I would hurt him before he could hurt me or my child. I am afraid nothing in this cruel world is as cut and dry and we wish it could be. Do you think I want to shoot someone? Take their life? Never and If I could get out without doing that I would. But if I couldn't and they were going to hurt me or my son I will protect him. And no decent judge will say I hurt/killed him in cold blood as if I have any other option I will take it. Like I said violence of any form will be my LAST resort but not something I would hesitate to do if I had to
xx

I mean the type of burgulars who liek to hurt you aswell. Like on crimewatch last night a man beaten to death just for a burglary. You can't run past them if they are on your landing blocking the stairs.

I just couldn't risk this burgular not being a nut job. As some prefer not to hurt the people some like it or just do it for the sake of it. Like I said IF I felt threatned I would hurt him before he could hurt me or my child. I am afraid nothing in this cruel world is as cut and dry and we wish it could be. Do you think I want to shoot someone? Take their life? Never and If I could get out without doing that I would. But if I couldn't and they were going to hurt me or my son I will protect him. And no decent judge will say I hurt/killed him in cold blood as if I have any other option I will take it. Like I said violence of any form will be my LAST resort but not something I would hesitate to do if I had to
xx

I get what your saying hunny, :flower: I just don't think i could, because that choice has to be made in a split second, and because of fear that shock would cloud my true judgement

Thats what I mean, I think when fear and the want for life takes over you never know what you are capable of :hugs:
xx

Thats what I would be worried about too...that my fear would take over and i would act irrationally!! If anyone is in my house uninvited then I am going to feel threatened, but at what level does it become enough of a threat to shoot someone? and by that I mean in a courts eyes, and not from a victims point of view!
Everyone will protect their family first and foremost, but with regards to the guns, if I had access to one I would probably shoot too soon, iykwim? I totally agree that if someone enters your house with bad intentions then they should expect to come up against resistance, but I wouldnt want to be responsible for killing a young person who only wanted to nick my telly (I wouldnt aim to kill, but I would probably not even be aiming and the chances that I hit a main artery or organ are quite high, thus increasing the chances of me killing them)

:flower:

god people must be thinking i will be an awful mummy ...... i don't wish to murder murderers and i don't wand to shoot burgulars :shrug:

I will love my child and protect the the best way I feel I can ..... honest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->