Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

It's Picture Exchange Communication system. You effectively use flash cards for communications but rather than just showing a card for milk the child has to build a sentance showing 'I want' and then 'milk'. The idea is that they have a book with lots if pictures and they bring the 'sentence' to you to ask for things or say things.
For Esther it should only be a short term thing until she can talk properly (hopefully anyway). Other children may always need it.

How is Esther coming along with the speech? B's speech is coming along so well and they are thinking now that the delay is 70% a mechanical/muscle problem.

It's Picture Exchange Communication system. You effectively use flash cards for communications but rather than just showing a card for milk the child has to build a sentance showing 'I want' and then 'milk'. The idea is that they have a book with lots if pictures and they bring the 'sentence' to you to ask for things or say things.
For Esther it should only be a short term thing until she can talk properly (hopefully anyway). Other children may always need it.

Oh I see! Hayley does this in speech therapy to. So far she just likes to try and eat the pics but she will choose ball, or bubbles to play with sometimes. Hope Esther is doing good :hugs:

Was told today that DD was about 10 months behind in gross motor. That was a little hard to swallow especially since she's only 19 months old :(. She's making progress but I guess she has a long way to go still. One day at a time I suppose.

Moggy thanks for the link. :). I had a look as well. I'm going to buy a laminating machine and start on my own set. Hayley isn't working so well with the stock pictures, I need to take pics of her things and try that way.

on the "two and not talking" thread there is a link to a site you can download free pics from to make your own cards...there are others on there you have to pay for but the free ones get you a good start :)

Another thing to try, well the one thing that has helped us the most it the use of the "bag", we have a couple but the basic premise is you have a theme eg a phonetic sound or a book and the items in the bag match....Jacks favourites are "The Very Busy Spider" and "Dear Zoo" we have the animals to pull out when they appear in the book and he either signs or now says the animal and what they say, the phonetic sound is like a lucky dip whereby if they say what they get they get another go.....we have a "b" and a "c" bag at the moment b = bear, ball, bag, bubbles, book, bowl, bat, banana etc c = cup, car, kangaroo, cat, key, cap, cow, clap etc He loves doing them and we rotate them every few weeks. Not sure what our next exercises to aid him will be but they all help :)

Moggy thanks for the link. :). I had a look as well. I'm going to buy a laminating machine and start on my own set. Hayley isn't working so well with the stock pictures, I need to take pics of her things and try that way.

That is exactly how the seller on ebay started :) Hope they help:flower:

Was told today that DD was about 10 months behind in gross motor. That was a little hard to swallow especially since she's only 19 months old :(. She's making progress but I guess she has a long way to go still. One day at a time I suppose.

I know our LOs don't have the same issues (my son has hypotonia/hypermobility), but I found that the biggest hurdle was the initial gross motor skills. My son started rolling at 13 months (so very far behind considering his age) and then could get himself into sitting, then started slowly crawling. But I found that once he got that initial mobility then he really improved so much faster. He was the farthest behind at about 14-18mo and has been slowly catching up since. I know it may not be the same with your LO, but I have found with most kiddos at our treatment centre that the more they do, the more they can do - so often it is earlier when they are first learning to use and work the muscles that it seems like they are progressing slower. I have no idea if what I wrote makes any sense to you, but lots of hugs xoxox

Moggy the "bag" idea is great! Thanks! I think DD may like this as well. Thanks so much for the info :happydance" I'm going to take pics of food she likes and put them on the fridge and see if she will start choosing what she wants via pointing. Gosh I have a lot of homework to do :haha: and shopping ;)

Sun DD has hypotonia/hypermobility as well. Especially in her feet and ankles. And I understand what you mean about the more you do the more you can do. DD's recent progress has proved that for me :) despite how behind she is now she really has came a long way lately. Thanks hun :hugs: It's nice to hear from people who have been there.

Sun DD has hypotonia/hypermobility as well. Especially in her feet and ankles. And I understand what you mean about the more you do the more you can do. DD's recent progress has proved that for me :) despite how behind she is now she really has came a long way lately. Thanks hun :hugs: It's nice to hear from people who have been there.

Oops I got your LO mixed up with another LO on the thread! I forgot we already discussed the hypotonia sorry :dohh: Well at least the rest of my post made sense :haha: I noticed the most improvement from my son at around 2yo. That's when he started walking comfortably without holding my hand and it really gave him confidence to try more. He's always been very very cautious (probably because he was more unsteady). Once he could manage we started jumping on trampolines (though jumping took quite a while longer). hugs!

How is Esther coming along with the speech? B's speech is coming along so well and they are thinking now that the delay is 70% a mechanical/muscle problem.

Esther's doing ok. She's still not talking properly but the number of words she has is increasing. She does struggle to put words together though. She seems to be able to put 3 or 4 words together if they are in a song for example but she can't (or won't!) put them together in order to make a sentence in just general conversation. It's almost as if when she hears the line of a song she thinks thats one word. Hope that makes sense!

Glad B's speech is coming along well and from your other posts it seems like it's all improving, even if it is slow going

Sorry I've not been around, busy few days, no energy etc :dohh: hope you're all ok

Thomas had an eye appointment yesterday. His eyes have got better by 25% since June 2012 and they think he may not need glasses in a few years :D

Yay Esther for learning new words! Even if putting them together is still pretty tough, new words are amazing :happydance:

Yay for Thomas as well! It's great his sight is improving :happydance: Go little man. Sooo are you in the tww???? ;) I'm being a nosy pants again:haha:

I didn't know that T had Raynauds. I just Googled it for the first time. Does he have a lot of trouble with it? Does it mostly happen in his hands??

Hi ladies, been a hectic/ rough few days here. either I've picked up a flu bug, or my ms is kicking into high gear these past 3 days. barely been able to hold down water, constant nausea/ dizziness. thank goodness my hubby can function without me! we've been trying to get our place ready to sell, we will officially be on the market tomorrow!

great news on the G man front. he's been back to responding for a few days, so I really thought Fridays appointment would be a waste of time. the ENT Dr was a bit of an ass. when he came into the room to see us, his exact words were " this is most certainly not a hearing issue. this is a global delay, and you should be seeing a pediatrician about this". I'm sure he only actually LOOKED in Gabriel's ears to be prove his point. shockingly ( to him, I'm sure) there is fluid on his left ear. his right is clear SO... we are to wait until his hearing seems to be gone again, and go back that day. the ENT Dr finally believes that he has intermittent fluid buildup affecting his hearing. once he confirms that theory, Gabriel will be getting tubes in his ears. score 1 for crazy mama!

yay for new words and improving eyes! great to see some improvements on here :)

I'm going back to bed to wallow in my misery. I hire this moves along soon. I seriously feel like I'm dying :cry: I really am a terrible sick person

Bumpin yay for getting your point across to the ENT! What a prick. I think tubes have helped Hayley a lot. She's standing better, better balance, wider range of sounds she can make and generally better health. Every time she would catch a cold she would get a secondary infection in her ears. Systemic antibiotics never drained all the fluid even if the infection passed. Now, her first cold since the tubes she was a different kiddo. Super snot machine, we're talking gag mama kind of mucus but no fever or ear pain. It's like switching the pressure or vacuum in the Eustachian tubes and letting nasty stuff flow out her nose.

Hope the MS eases up soon :hugs: I really like sniffing and nibbling lemons when im nauseous. Lemon zest in a ziploc bag to sniff and a quartered lemon to nibble really helped me when random smells would trigger my MS. And lemon ginger tea with sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->