Dinosaurs in religion

I am a hardfaced atheist and think religion is a load of pish. That said though, I wouldn't ever preach it to a religious person and I do respect their beliefs. My nan is very religious. She is a Sunday School teacher and goes to church 3 days a week. Once I started up a conversation with her about evolution and she was having none of it. When I asked her what her reasons for not believing in evolution, she said "it says in the bible" so I said "well, do you believe everything you read? Where's the evidence other than 'someone said so'?" A bit of advice... don't try and argue evolution with someone who is overly religious. Maybe next time I see her I'll ask her about the dinosaur thing!

You respect my beliefs but they are a load of pish? :dohh: :haha:

It is totally reasonable to respect someone's right to believe what they choose to believe, no matter what one thinks of those beliefs :flower:

The one thing I do not like is when JW's come over. Now most are polite etc and one of my best friends is JW but I just dont like them coming to me, If I chose to be religious, I would go about it myself. Not come to my house kind of thing.

I wish I could accept God created us! I would love tp be part of a church!

I was on a random forum (yeah :haha:) and saw a post by someone who was brought up JW and gave it all up after the seed of doubt/critical thinking was sown in his mind by a guy whose door he knocked on. The guy said he was happy to accept the JW pamphlet offered if the two who'd knocked on his door would accept a trade - he would swap them for a pamphlet or some literature he had. The story went that the JW guys had to decline because they're not allowed to. In case anything contradicts their teachings and leads them away. So they just politely went away to the next house! Apparently this was the beginning of the end for the young JW as he saw that there must be so much more out there that and he was being deceived.

Well... IDK how accurate the story is but I will try it next time I get that knock on my door.

Any thoughts welcome :flower:

Lol, dont believe all u read online, we can accept anything we want to ( anything we are recommended not to do for example is not cause we are 'told' to but because it goes against Gods laws in the bible ) but personally i probably would have declined only because it would be clear that the householder was just wasting my time and wasnt genuinely interested (which i completely respect), so my time is best spent moving on to the next person. Its not about anything contradicting JW teachings but bible teachings as all our beliefs are purely bible based.

We dont live sheltered, segregated lives away from society, we live and work alongside everyone else so we are not blind to what goes on in the world :)

We are actually encouraged to research.... and very much think for ourselves, otherwise worship to God is in vain.

all JW's I have ever met have been lovely people & I commend them for believing so strongly in the things they do but I just can't get past the blood transfusion thing :nope:

Lol, dont believe all u read online, we can accept anything we want to ( anything we are recommended not to do for example is not cause we are 'told' to but because it goes against Gods laws in the bible ) but personally i probably would have declined only because it would be clear that the householder was just wasting my time and wasnt genuinely interested (which i completely respect), so my time is best spent moving on to the next person. Its not about anything contradicting JW teachings but bible teachings as all our beliefs are purely bible based.

We dont live sheltered, segregated lives away from society, we live and work alongside everyone else so we are not blind to what goes on in the world :)

We are actually encouraged to research.... and very much think for ourselves, otherwise worship to God is in vain.

Fair enough :flower:

Although in my view the householder could not be said to be wasting the JW's time any more than the JW was wasting the householder's ... :flower:

Anyway so back to the dinosaurs lol.

all JW's I have ever met have been lovely people & I commend them for believing so strongly in the things they do but I just can't get past the blood transfusion thing :nope:

:) Its easy to come to that conclusion when its something u dont fully understand but, JW's like anyone seek the best possible care for themselves and their loved ones. Morever, many witnesses work in the medical field as nurses, paramedics, doctors and surgeons. However, Jehovah's Witnessess refuse blood transfusions yes.

The reason they abstain from blood, is of course because the bible says to do so (Acts 15:28,29 - where it is grouped in with fornication and idolatary to emphesise its importance as a christian) we believe blood is our life force and is precious and shouldnt been shared or taken into the body. Because of JW's there has been much medical advancement in non blood products which can and have been very effective. :)

As a christian i believe if we do die we are in Gods memory and he has the power to resurrect us when he transforms the earth back to its original condition of a paradise earth, which we believe according to bible prophecy and world conditions will be very soon So from our point of view we are sinning against God by accepting blood, and know that ultimately our lives are in his hands and he knows what is best for us.

That being said it is up to each individual to decide for themselves, we are not forced into anything

So just as others strongly disagree with refusing blood, we just as strongly disagree with accepting blood.

Anywho back to dinosaurs!!

Fair enough :flower:

Although in my view the householder could not be said to be wasting the JW's time any more than the JW was wasting the householder's ... :flower:

Anyway so back to the dinosaurs lol.

Fair enough, we dont wish to wastes anyones time thats why we will move on if someone isnt interested. We are only there to bring some hope and positive news :) And anyone can request to be put on a 'do not call' list so we will not call on you :flower:

I am a hardfaced atheist and think religion is a load of pish. That said though, I wouldn't ever preach it to a religious person and I do respect their beliefs. My nan is very religious. She is a Sunday School teacher and goes to church 3 days a week. Once I started up a conversation with her about evolution and she was having none of it. When I asked her what her reasons for not believing in evolution, she said "it says in the bible" so I said "well, do you believe everything you read? Where's the evidence other than 'someone said so'?" A bit of advice... don't try and argue evolution with someone who is overly religious. Maybe next time I see her I'll ask her about the dinosaur thing!

You respect my beliefs but they are a load of pish? :dohh: :haha:

It is totally reasonable to respect someone's right to believe what they choose to believe, no matter what one thinks of those beliefs :flower:

Then wouldnt it be better put "I respect your beliefs but I dont personaly share or believe in them"
Dont get me wrong im not upset by it I just found the choice of wording funny, everyone has the right to think and believe what they want :)

I'm a Christian and a 6 day young-earth creationist.

According to the Bible, dinosaurs were created on the sixth day alongside all other land animals and man. Until the Fall they would have been vegetarians, not meat eaters. There are references in the Bible to "behemoth", which from the description was probably a Brachiosaurus. The existence of dinosaur fossils is not a problem to Christians, rather it fits in perfectly with the Biblical account of creation and history, particularly considering that many fossils still contain soft tissue including blood cells.

I also just wanted to make a quick point about the time frame of creation. Every time the Hebrew word "yom" for day is used with a number or the words evening or morning it refers to a 24 hour day. It is accepted amongst all the best Hebrew professors that the word day in Genesis 1 refers to ordinary 24 hour days. I'm aware that some Christians believe in millions of years, progressive creation or evolution, but in my opinion there is no Biblical basis to do so.

I remember my first visit from a JW a man and a lady came to the door I think I was about 13 and asked to speak to someone in the family about the bible (or something like that I dont remember the exact wording)
Me being the typical smart arse sarcastic goth teen I was replied "well my father is athiest, my mother is CofE and im a satanist, who do you want to speak to first?"
Baring in mind my brother was upstaires playing death metal full blast.
They never did come back to talk to my mum :shrug:

I am alot more respectfull these days and we often have two lovely ladies pop round, my mum chatters away to them about the bible and they leave their leaflets and normaly end up popping by again a few months later :)

With all repsect freckleonear i disagree

Like is stated earlier Moses refers to all the creative days as the 'creative day' So this shows the context in which 'yom' can be used.

"It can denote: 1. the period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness), 2. the period of twenty-four hours, 3. a general vague "time," 4. a point of time, 5. a year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)."

It is interesting to note that in 67 verses in the Old Testament, the word 'Yom' is translated into the English word "time." For instance, in Genesis 4:3, it says "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord." In this instance, Yom refers to a growing season, probably several months. Again, in Deuteronomy 10:10, it refers to a "time" equal to forty days. In I Kings 11:42, it says "And the time that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel was forty years." In this case, Yom translated as the word "time" is equivalent to a 40 year period.

In Isaiah 30:8, it says "Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever." In this case, Yom is equal to "forever." How long is forever? An infinite number of years...billions upon billions upon billons of years. If Yom can equal trillions of years here, then why not billions of years in Genesis?

In Genesis 1 Moses says "and there was evening and morning the xx day". Does the use of evening and morning indicate a sunrise and sunset for each creative day? First, let's look at what evening and morning are not. They are not actual evening and mornings, as this requires a sunrise and sunset. According to young earth theory, the Sun was not created until Day Four, thus there could be no sunrise or sunset for the first three days of creation. However, God uses the terms evening and morning for those first three days. Therefore, they cannot be actual evenings and mornings.

We are left with only one option. The words for Evening and Morning can only represent the beginning and ending of the creative period, and not actual sunrise and sunsets. Scripture itself sets this pattern for us. Morning and evening are used figuratively in Psalm 30:5, Psalm 49:14,15, Psalm 90:6. Thus, the evening and morning of creation can mean the start and end of the creative process that is attributed to that creation period.

One must also consider that time with God has no meaning. To Him, 10 billion years is like a day. Thus, it is no problem for God to put billions of years into one of His days

With such a wide usage of the word Yom for many different time periods, it cannot be claimed that Yom in the Old Testament only represents a 24-hour period. During the creation account alone, Yom represents four different time periods

Since humans did not witness creation, our own concept of a 24-hour day does not apply. The only thing that matters is God's concept of time. Thus, the only evidence we have to accurately assess the age of creation is the creation itself. Since the rocks and stars say we are billions of years old, that must be the truth. This fits perfectly with a literal interpretation of Genesis, and an inerrant Bible, and does not impact any other Biblical doctrines.

It makes logical sense too that God did not create the earth as we know it in 6 literal days

I have copied and pasted the above information in the quote box as i couldnt be bothered typing it all out even tho i was already well versed on it lol, but i believe there is much evidence to support the concept of the creative days being perhaps even each being millions of years long, both biblical and other. :flower:

ETA..... I researched more evidence of this from books i have, A person can see this meaning of 'yom' from what the Bible says about the seventh “day.” The record of each of the first six “days” ends saying, ‘and there came to be evening and morning, a first day,’ and so on. Yet, you will not find that comment after the record of the seventh “day.” And in the first century C.E., some 4,000 years downstream in history, the Bible referred to the seventh rest “day” as still continuing. (Hebrews 4:4-6) So the seventh “day” was a period spanning thousands of years, and we can logically conclude the same about the first six “days.

I do believe it's pish. I didn't say people who believe it are, I mean religion itself. But then of course, I can have Christians waving flyers in my face in town and politely sat no thank you and walk on but if I dare to question them then I'm a terrible person. I probably didn't word my post right, I apologise, but I wasn't saying it to offend religious people, but my opinion in religion is just as valid as theirs

I do believe it's pish. I didn't say people who believe it are, I mean religion itself. But then of course, I can have Christians waving flyers in my face in town and politely sat no thank you and walk on but if I dare to question them then I'm a terrible person. I probably didn't word my post right, I apologise, but I wasn't saying it to offend religious people, but my opinion in religion is just as valid as theirs

No, I agree. You can respect but not believe. I think alot of it is storys but I respect some people believe it. Does not mean I do. I spend alot of time in church with all my support groups but I am not religious, I dont worship there and had many of my best debates in their! They all know how I feel. I would love to believe but unfortunately, I sway towards Darwin. I still respect them though.

Sorry I didnt mean to make fun, I just found the choice of wording funny :)

No, I agree. You can respect but not believe. I think alot of it is storys but I respect some people believe it. Does not mean I do. I spend alot of time in church with all my support groups but I am not religious, I dont worship there and had many of my best debates in their! They all know how I feel. I would love to believe but unfortunately, I sway towards Darwin. I still respect them though.

Iv never realy understood how its assumed that someone who believes or follows the bible obviously doesnt except darwin, evolution, science or vice versa.
The two can quite easily live side by side.
I was always taught that the bible is a personal thing and you take from it what you need to at the time, different parts of it have different meanings to different people and not necciseraly a literal meaning but an interpretaion so you can take your own strength from how you interpret it.

Of course I believe in Darwin and evolution and science but that doesnt mean I have to ignore anything written in the bible or pick one over the other.

Iv never realy understood how its assumed that someone who believes or follows the bible obviously doesnt except darwin, evolution, science or vice versa.
The two can quite easily live side by side.
I was always taught that the bible is a personal thing and you take from it what you need to at the time, different parts of it have different meanings to different people and not necciseraly a literal meaning but an interpretaion so you can take your own strength from how you interpret it.

Of course I believe in Darwin and evolution and science but that doesnt mean I have to ignore anything written in the bible or pick one over the other.

I said near the beginning of this thread that science and religion, reason and faith... are different things which do not overlap. They don't. They can both exist in the same person.
I just happen to be firmly on the science and reason side; I find these to be enough for me, the explanatory power of scientific knowledge to me is mind-blowing. I don't need religion as well.

Of course, in order for anyone to take the bible literally, there has to be some degree of denial of the masses of evidence that contradicts such a literal interpretation :flower: So in that sense there could be said to be a degree of exclusivism between the two :flower:

I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree ShanandBoc. :)

Taken from https://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/could-god-have-created-in-six-days:
The “Days” of Genesis

What does the Bible tell us about the meaning of “day” in Genesis 1? A word can have more than one meaning, depending on the context. For instance, the English word “day” can have perhaps 14 different meanings. For example, consider the following sentence: “Back in my grandfather’s day, it took 12 days to drive across the country during the day.”

Here the first occurrence of “day” means “time” in a general sense. The second “day,” where a number is used, refers to an ordinary day, and the third refers to the daylight portion of the 24-hour period. The point is that words can have more than one meaning, depending on the context.

To understand the meaning of “day” in Genesis 1, we need to determine how the Hebrew word for “day,” yom, is used in the context of Scripture. Consider the following:

- A typical concordance will illustrate that yom can have a range of meanings: a period of light as contrasted to night, a 24-hour period, time, a specific point of time, or a year.

- A classic, well-respected Hebrew-English lexicon (a dictionary) has seven headings and many subheadings for the meaning of yom—but it defines the creation days of Genesis 1 as ordinary days under the heading “day as defined by evening and morning.”

- A number and the phrase “evening and morning” are used with each of the six days of creation (Gen. 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31).

- Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with a number 359 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

- Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with the word “evening” or “morning” 23 times. “Evening” and “morning” appear in association, but without yom, 38 times. All 61 times the text refers to an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

- In Genesis 1:5, yom occurs in context with the word “night.” Outside of Genesis 1, “night” is used with yom 53 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception? Even the usage of the word “light” with yom in this passage determines the meaning as ordinary day.

- The plural of yom, which does not appear in Genesis 1, can be used to communicate a longer time period, such as “in those days.” Adding a number here would be nonsensical. Clearly, in Exodus 20:11, where a number is used with “days,” it unambiguously refers to six earth-rotation days.

- There are words in biblical Hebrew (such as olam or qedem) that are very suitable for communicating long periods of time, or indefinite time, but none of these words are used in Genesis 1. Alternatively, the days or years could have been compared with grains of sand if long periods were meant.

Dr. James Barr (Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University), who himself does not believe Genesis is true history, nonetheless admitted as far as the language of Genesis 1 is concerned that "So far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Gen. 1–11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience (b) the figures contained in the Genesis genealogies provided by simple addition a chronology from the beginning of the world up to later stages in the biblical story (c) Noah’s Flood was understood to be worldwide and extinguish all human and animal life except for those in the ark."

The rest of the article is well worth a read, as are these two articles on why it is so important to the Christian faith and why millions of years simply doesn't make sense.
https://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v18/i1/sixdays.asp
https://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/why-christians-shouldnt-accept-millions

If plants were made on "day" 3 but birds and insects weren't created until "day" 5 and "day" 6, how did they survive millions of years without pollination? Adam was created on "day" 6, lived through "day" 7 and died when he was 930 years old, which makes no sense if the days were millions of years. But most importantly, millions of years undermines the Bible's teaching on sin and the fall, because if the days were millions of years then there would have death, disease and suffering before Adam and Eve sinned.

I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree ShanandBoc. :)

Taken from https://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/could-god-have-created-in-six-days:
The “Days” of Genesis

What does the Bible tell us about the meaning of “day” in Genesis 1? A word can have more than one meaning, depending on the context. For instance, the English word “day” can have perhaps 14 different meanings. For example, consider the following sentence: “Back in my grandfather’s day, it took 12 days to drive across the country during the day.”

Here the first occurrence of “day” means “time” in a general sense. The second “day,” where a number is used, refers to an ordinary day, and the third refers to the daylight portion of the 24-hour period. The point is that words can have more than one meaning, depending on the context.

To understand the meaning of “day” in Genesis 1, we need to determine how the Hebrew word for “day,” yom, is used in the context of Scripture. Consider the following:

- A typical concordance will illustrate that yom can have a range of meanings: a period of light as contrasted to night, a 24-hour period, time, a specific point of time, or a year.

- A classic, well-respected Hebrew-English lexicon (a dictionary) has seven headings and many subheadings for the meaning of yom—but it defines the creation days of Genesis 1 as ordinary days under the heading “day as defined by evening and morning.”

- A number and the phrase “evening and morning” are used with each of the six days of creation (Gen. 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31).

- Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with a number 359 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

- Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with the word “evening” or “morning” 23 times. “Evening” and “morning” appear in association, but without yom, 38 times. All 61 times the text refers to an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

- In Genesis 1:5, yom occurs in context with the word “night.” Outside of Genesis 1, “night” is used with yom 53 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception? Even the usage of the word “light” with yom in this passage determines the meaning as ordinary day.

- The plural of yom, which does not appear in Genesis 1, can be used to communicate a longer time period, such as “in those days.” Adding a number here would be nonsensical. Clearly, in Exodus 20:11, where a number is used with “days,” it unambiguously refers to six earth-rotation days.

- There are words in biblical Hebrew (such as olam or qedem) that are very suitable for communicating long periods of time, or indefinite time, but none of these words are used in Genesis 1. Alternatively, the days or years could have been compared with grains of sand if long periods were meant.

Dr. James Barr (Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University), who himself does not believe Genesis is true history, nonetheless admitted as far as the language of Genesis 1 is concerned that "So far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Gen. 1–11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience (b) the figures contained in the Genesis genealogies provided by simple addition a chronology from the beginning of the world up to later stages in the biblical story (c) Noah’s Flood was understood to be worldwide and extinguish all human and animal life except for those in the ark."

The rest of the article is well worth a read, as are these two articles on why it is so important to the Christian faith and why millions of years simply doesn't make sense.
https://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v18/i1/sixdays.asp
https://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/why-christians-shouldnt-accept-millions

If plants were made on "day" 3 but birds and insects weren't created until "day" 5 and "day" 6, how did they survive millions of years without pollination? Adam was created on "day" 6, lived through "day" 7 and died when he was 930 years old, which makes no sense if the days were millions of years. But most importantly, millions of years undermines the Bible's teaching on sin and the fall, because if the days were millions of years then there would have death, disease and suffering before Adam and Eve sinned.

Thanks for your kind reply but, I think u are misunderstanding me, i was taught (in my religion) that the creative days were most likely a thousand years long each (as the bible refers to one day being as a thousand years to god), and this to me is the most likely period of time but said 'perhaps' could have been millions of years due to the varying lengths of time that 'yom' can be used for. But really we dont know for sure, only God does.

There is too much biblical evidence to the contrary and to over ride the points that site makes above. But ill give just a few as an example...

In Hebrews, 4,000 years later after Adam it refers to God still being in his 7th creative day of resting - and using that reasoning probably still is, it spoke of God desisting from earthly creative works and proceeding to rest - which has been ongoing

One of those links u gave me says on the site
The Bible tells us that Adam was created on the sixth day. If he lived through day six and day seven, and then died when he was 930 years old, and if each of these days was a thousand or a million years, you have major problems!

:shrug: Adam didnt 'live' through day 6 at all...

Adam wasnt even alive until the 7th day... it refers to God saying' let us make man in our image' on the 6th day and makes the statement that he created them male and female but at that time Eve wasnt brought to life but went on to be created through Adam as u know later on and Adam hadnt been given the breath of life or formed in a physical sense as yet, till the 7th day.........see below -

Genesis 2:1 says that God had come to the 7th creative day and then if u read on at Genesis 2:7 says that he brought to life his creation 'Adam' "God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul."
- this was on the 7th creative day, - its 6,000 years since Adam was brought to life on the creative day, Adam wasnt alive on the 6th creative day but 'created' (Note the definition of the word create can be 'to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention') - so that argument doesnt hold.

So, This has no bearing on the fact that Adam dying at 930 years.

As far as the pollenation if you Read on to Genesis 2:5 speaking of the 7th creative day it says 'Now there was as yet no bush of the field found in the earth and no vegetation of the field was as yet sprouting, because Jehovah God had not made it rain upon the earth and there was no man to cultivate the ground'. and then goes on to speak of God making it rain to grow these certain plants at that time (perhaps ones that required pollenation) as obviously not all were sprouting after the 3rd creative day, .... So that answers that too.....

As far as the sin part u mentioned well ' through one man (Adam)sin into the world and death to all men because they had all sinned' - referring only to 'mankind', not animals, so the fact that dinosaurs lived and then all died out had nothing to do with Sin and didnt depend on Adam sinning first. Animals were never intended to live forever as man was. Dinosaurs served their purpose for God at the time. 'The fall' was humans fall from perfection.

Another point i mentioned already above it couldnt be literal days either.....Does the use of evening and morning indicate a sunrise and sunset for each creative day? First, let's look at what evening and morning are not. They are not actual evening and mornings, as this requires a sunrise and sunset. According to young earth theory, the Sun was not created until Day Four, thus there could be no sunrise or sunset for the first three days of creation. However, God uses the terms evening and morning for those first three days. Therefore, they cannot be actual evenings and mornings.

Anyway, im not here to argue or disrespect ur views, just to present the biblical evidence. I respect we have differing beliefs on the subject ( at least we will agree on believing we were created :haha:) I just like to look at what the bible says on the matter and thorough study of it has proved that the creative says couldnt have been 24 hr days....imo x

This is what I dont get about religions, everyone believes different things??!

I agree, Its not about what we choose to believe, or man made traditions but what the bible actually says.... it should be in agreement with the bible. All beliefs and practices. This is my problem with religion in general. The bible says that the devil is behind confusing people to bible truths.

I have only found one religion that is different and abides strictly by Gods laws in the bible and backs up all beliefs with the bible. You cant just pick and choose parts of it.

But, its really no different from people that dont believe in God, everyone has different beliefs there too and of course not all religions follow the bible either. I mean isnt Atheism a 'religion'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->