Disappointment followed by excitement followed by... Wtf?

GFGuy

Reaction score
So my wife and I are at our first time trying. After 13 dpo we started testing. After 3 days of negative test, and clearly super negative tests, we had a fun weekend and family was in town so we drank lots of wine and still tested each day for the heck of it and all were negative. Then Monday happened... Monday was my birthday and we were pretty bummed but accepting we weren't pregnant. Before we went out for my bday dinner, I greeted my wife in the driveway holding our dog, the beer I was drinking, a huge smile and a pregnancy test. It was our last one. And guess what? 17 dpo, positive! So we were in doubt and also very excited but trying to hold back excitement because it could be a fluke, right?!

We go to dinner, buy 4 more tests. 3 tests in the next 12 hours say positive but we still are scared about the drinking and the new out of nowhere news so we made an appointment for her to get blood tested tomorrow morning (Wednesday). But we have one test left and decided, why not? Let's take the last one tonight and see if it's more positive looking because all of the others were very faint... Which brings me to why I am writing this. It was negative. It was the clear blue kind. The horizontal line was normal, absolutely no vertical line at all. But, the control line was very vague. It was there but not strong.

Wife thinks she didn't have enough pee. But now we are super bummed. Was it all BS? Did we lose it already? Is this normal?

We want to be happy about everything but the internet is killing our excitement and I don't know what to think now...

What kind of tests were you using that were positive, ie pink dyes? Can you post a pic of the clear blue?

And also, my advice is Stop Reading the internet!! Google is not your friend right now. When is the blood test scheduled for? That will give you a definite answer.

Edit: I see you have a blood test for tomorrow morning then, keep us updated!

Most women only get faint positives, in fact to family memebers just found out both were faint positve's multiple test also! taking tests at night during early pregnancy normally gives false neg. I think she is pregnant, but being at night without a four hour window of no liquid or peeing would give you not a good shot!

Dont let tonights tests ruin your excitement you have a reason to test there are tons of women who do this and get all down but soon as morning comes they get there BFP again! Fingers crossed for you guys! :D

There are two possible options here:
-either her urine wasn't concentrated enough for the test to pick up the hormones
-either she had a chemical pregnancy

Unfortunately we can't help you with that, the blood test will give you certainty. But as the previous poster pointed out, as you did the test late at night, there is still a good chance your wife is pregnant.

Also, you don't have to worry about your wife drinking some wine last weekend. If she's pregnant, the egg probably didn't implant until the weekend. The baby is only a couple of cells big and has no blood vessels yet, so the alcohol couldn't have hurt your baby.

Here is the photo. The top 3 were from our seemingly magical Monday evening and the bottom is from yesterday evening. The control line became darker after a few hours but was faint in the beginning.

We went in this morning and she had blood drawn... So we are anxiously awaiting the phone call with results. She isn't feeling any symptoms. Not sure what to think but we are taking all your advice and staying away from Google for now. This is all so crazy Ahhh!! Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 142
That is crazy.....I've heard bad things about the blue dye so maybe that one is just bad.....with 3 other positives including a digital I'd say things are looking good. Hopefully the blood work results come back positive and FAST. :)

I don't know how this is seriously happening but our luck is just wacky this week... After all these weird test results, we get the blood work done this morning and they said by 3:30/4:00 we'd have results. By 4:30, we were freaking out and getting so nervous so she called the doc and they said "results are in and we are just waiting for the doctor to review and she'll call you in the next 30 mins or so"

No call... Wife and I texting back an forth for two hours asking "have you heard anything?" "What do you think?" "Should I call again?"

It's now 8:30. No call. We called the office at 5:30 and the automated service said they are closed at 5:30...

Very unprofessional in my opinion to do this to a patient. I know they deal with this every day but a doctor should understand there are people like us who are first timers and clueless and concerned.

So I guess we have to sleep with this feeling in our guts of having no idea what the results are and what our strange pee tests meant...

I'm a dude, but I feel for you women so much now. This stuff is stressful!

I would definitely suggest doing a pink dye test again (the blue dye can give false results) even if it's just the dollar store brand (they work just as well). As far as the dr not calling you back...I once had to wait a whole weekend to find out if my pregnancy was ectopic (which is life threatening if not caught), so yeah, its frusturating. They're in no hurry and you need to bug them to get the answers you want.

Wow very unprofessional I agree :nope: that would drive me nuts!!! I would say she's definitely pregnant. And blue dye have a REALLY bad reputation so I'd try a different brand tonight if possible to ease your mind.

Yeah she is definitely pregnant with those top three tests.
Even a chemical wouldn't go from that obvious to absolutely nothing in the same day.
Of course there is always the risk of a chemical but I agree get a pink dye or another digital - make sure she doesn't drink too much liquid and holds her pee for at least 4 hours for the best chance. If you can't wait for the blood results that is.

It sounds to me like she's pregnant. Congratulations!
Welcome to a lifetime of going to bed not knowing what is going on in your life! ;-)

OMG, she is so Pregnant Congrats!!!! The last test may be because it was taken at night, should use first morning urine, or she had diluted wee, but those top 3 are very definite bfps!

Latest update...

This is killing me and wife! So no call all night and morning so we called when they opened at 8:30. The doctor answered the phone and said "oh, your results were 64, but that means nothing unless we have something to compare that too so you need to come back in this morning for more blood work"

What is going on here!! I have so many questions. And now we have to wait all day again after a super stressful day yesterday.

The doc told us yesterday that her levels should be at 100 on the day of missed period. It's like 9 days after what we thought was that date and she said 64. Does that mean what I think it does? Or could she just be moving along slowly for some reason...

Thanks everyone for advice and comments. It's tough being the guy here because all this lingo and stuff is so brand new to me and we are both keeping secret from family for obvious reasons so I pretty much just have the internet to talk to! :)

I definitely think your wife is pregnant. My sister went through all this when she was pregnant with her first.. She had to wait 6 days while doctors mixed up her results, told her her pregnancy was ectopic (it wasn't), then told her they'd looked at her old results instead of the more recent ones. She was just in the very early stages of her pregnancy.
Feeling confused is something you should probably get used to. You're at the beginning of a very long journey filled with lots of confusion and unanswered questions.. I hear it lasts for 18 years!

I hope you get your answer quickly... It's lovely to hear about TTC from a dad-to-be for a change. X

She sounds like she is def pregnant!! And plus you just gave me a shard of hope because I tested at 13 DPO and got a BFN. So maybe there is still a chance for me. I think she probably is just much earlier in her pregnancy and maybe miscalculated when her AF was due or possibly the ovulation date. Good luck and H&H 9 months!

Yay! She's pregnant!! Congratulations! !
An HCG of 64 is just fine. Perfect in fact. Your dr just wants to see that number double in approx 2 days. Go for another blood test then to make sure everything is on track.
Awesome news!!

Here's a link to a decent HCG chart... https://www.babymed.com/hcg-level-in-early-pregnancy

Yay! She's pregnant!! Congratulations! !
An HCG of 64 is just fine. Perfect in fact. Your dr just wants to see that number double in approx 2 days. Go for another blood test then to make sure everything is on track.
Awesome news!!

Thank you so much for that link. That helped me understand a lot more. I sent it to my wife. We are both having a hard time working as we wait to find out if her hcg has increased by 30% or more since yesterday...

It's surreal hearing that she is pregnant. The doctor apologized today when she went in and said that she assumed that wife was going back today to get another test and she didn't realize that we didn't even know if she was in fact pregnant.

I think if the hcg levels are increased we will finally feel excited and able to get happy about this but according to that chart, I think her hcg should be around 4,000... her missed AF was over a week ago, but first positive test wasn't until this past Monday... It would have had to happen on 4th of July or the 6th. 4th was ovulation day. Or so we thought. That seems too long ago for 64 hcg to me. But I know nothing lol so :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->