Disco Derail! - TTCAL/PAL Discussion and Support!

ok this is really bad, but I really don't know much about Thanksgiving. Something to do with the pilgrims (I might have to go google this). No presents, but people usually just get together for a big turkey dinner.

We do have Christmas as well:)

Oh ok I'll let you off then, if you got presents I would be relocating ASAP!! Tut tut madam I don't think you should be eating this amazing turkey dinner when you don't even klnow why your celebrating! I HATE Turkey!xxx

apparently in Canada we give "thanks" at the close of the harvest season.

"The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. The traditional "first Thanksgiving" is the celebration that occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history of what would become one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States. This Thanksgiving, modeled after celebrations that were commonplace in contemporary Europe, is generally regarded as America's first. Author and teacher Robyn Gioia and Michael Gannon of the University of Florida have argued that the earliest attested "thanksgiving" celebration in what is now the United States was celebrated by the Spanish on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida.[2][3] According to historian Jeremy Bangs, director of the Leiden American Pilgrim Museum, there may have been an influence of the annual services of thanksgiving for the relief of the siege of Leiden in 1574, which the Pilgrims witnessed during their stay in Leiden.[4] Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States, and on the second Monday of October in Canada. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends"

lol Sassy!!! I LOVE turkey sandwiches the best....if I could just skip to that part, I totally would....along with the apple pie and pumpkin pie:)

YUCK @ apple pie and Pumpkin Pie (never actually tasted it)!!! x

omg!! you are kidding right???? who doesn't love apple pie?! what kind do you like?

Wow! Never had pumpkin pie? That's a tragedy!

We have both Thanksgiving and Christmas as well... Same thing as Canadian Thanksgiving generally... about breaking bread and giving thanks for what you have, blahblahblah... Not something I care to do 2 days before my 2nd EDD! :(

Thought AF had just shown, but its just clear, watery CM. So very annoyed by that!

I love turkey and apple pie not that I can eat apple pie anymore :growlmad: but can't stand pumpkin pie!!

No pie, chocolate cake, sticky toffe pudding, cheesecake, but Eton mess is by far my favourite!x

does me peeing on sticks in a week count as an event for the wall? :rofl:

Sure, Yogi! :thumbup: Do we keep calling you Yogi? Or is there another name you'd prefer?

I don't know what Eton mess is either! :(

Megg - I just googled it, and now I am drooling over the pictures!!!! YUMMY!!!! I want some!!! seriously, go google it!

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/meringue/eton-mess.html

I've never had it either though :shrug:

Sassy, I think you'd like Pumpkin Pie if you tried it. It's reeeeally delicious. I love to bake and have baked so many pumpkin pies for foreigners who tell me "Yuck!" and then love it once they have it. If I were there or you were here I'd totally bake one for you! :)

Mel, it's kind of nice you guys celebrate Thanksgiving earlier than us but also kind of sad because I love Thanksgiving being cold and blustery and doing my Christmas shopping the day after (Black Friday...a holiday all its own ;) ).

oh...I do have a name!! It's April, so you can call me either! :hugs:

Allie - it's usually cold here for us by then, lol.....we already have christmas stuff out in stores too (usually by the end of August). I LOVE it!!! :)

Sure, Yogi! :thumbup: Do we keep calling you Yogi? Or is there another name you'd prefer?

I don't know what Eton mess is either! :(

oh...I do have a name!! It's April, so you can call me either! :hugs:

Thanks for the recipe Sparkly!

It kind of reminds me of crannachan, which is my favorite Scottish dessert. It's creamy like Eton Mess with fruit (raspberries) but also has two very Scottish additions---oatmeal and whiskey!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->