Disco Derail! - TTCAL/PAL Discussion and Support!

I love reading about how everyone celebrates the holidays! :) Its so different for each of us!

My fav bit about the season is that there are "Angel Trees"... One with "angels" and one with "stars"... Each angel represents an underprivileged child, and each star represents an underprivileged senior/elderly person. So, my family and I all take what we think we can handle. I love to take 2 adults and 2 children. My mom and cousin each usually do about the same... and then my aunt will usually take may 1 of each instead. So, that's about 14 people. We get together for the sales on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and go about getting the things on their lists... plus a bit. Then, we get to separate it all out and load the truck with it to take to the donation center. They always have such a look of surprise on their faces... Can't believe just 1 family did it all! But, we LOVE to do it. And, even though we never meet the families, we know that we provided Christmas to people who would have had nothing otherwise. I'll have to try to remember to post a pic of the haul we have this year! It makes me so happy to know that someone will have a better day because of it. I can't stand to think of children not having a Christmas... but even worse is to think of the elderly people who often have no family and are stuck in a nursing facility... and they're definitely old enough to KNOW what they're missing, ya know? I can't imagine how sad it must be to spend the holidays without family or having a single gift to open. And their lists are often so sad... Like, there was a guy last year who was 93 and all he wanted were some sheets, a winter coat, and a nice shirt to wear to church. It breaks my heart. And the kids that only want things like school clothes? :cry:

I'm sitting here SOBBING! Dammit!

OMG Megg, thats such a lovely thing to do, you've got me :cry:!

Christmas must be such a sad time for some people and you must make their day, good on you hun x:hugs:

Megg you are so lovely. I try to do similar but confess most of my time and energy goes into animal rescues.

The midwife rang me today. How humiliating having to ask her to take me off the pregnancy book. Her 'Oh.' said it all :cry:

Our company hosts a christmas operation every year where it is put out to every location/employee within the company. With this, we take tags, and we purchase gifts and then we write on the take the gender and the age range that the gift is for (we also wrap the gifts). and then at the end of the operation, the gifts are delivered to areas in that community to the children in need. I ended up buying 10 gifts alone last year, as I hate seeing children without on christmas day! It's so sad.

For the families though, my OH has 3 nephews and 1 niece, and I have 4 little cousins (2 of which are my goddaughters), and now my BFF's baby this year, and we buy for all of them. Then we buy for his mom (he doesn't have anything to do with his dad - parents are divorced), my parents, his aunt and uncle, each other, and I buy something for my cousin who is also one of my BFF's. It gets to be really expensive, and we are considering cutting out on the gifts this year because we need to buy things for the baby. I think we are going to do the best we can, but instead of buyng the expensive gifts we did buy, it's going to be cut down to like $20 a gift for each child. We also spent over $1000 each on each other last year, and I said that's not happening again this year.

Hi ladies. I've never been a big Christmas person personally. Thanksgiving is much more my holiday. Cooking a big meal and giving thanks for what we have has held more meaning for me. I also like to call it Native American Appreciation Day and read some Native American poetry out loud before we eat.

My first mc was on Christmas Eve 2008. On Christmas Eve 2009 I was on the operating table to have my second D&C but they stopped right before the procedure. They saw a glimmer of hope. They wanted to scan me and possibly do the D&C on New Years Eve but I told them no. I needed at least one holiday trauma free. We ended up doing it later that month. So for me Christmas is even less of a holiday for me. It is a constant reminder of my losses.

Sorry to be a downer. I feel like I can't even contribute to a happy conversation! That being said, I still like reading about all of your holiday rituals!

Hi ladies. I've never been a big Christmas person personally. Thanksgiving is much more my holiday. Cooking a big meal and giving thanks for what we have has held more meaning for me. I also like to call it Native American Appreciation Day and read some Native American poetry out loud before we eat.

My first mc was on Christmas Eve 2008. On Christmas Eve 2009 I was on the operating table to have my second D&C but they stopped right before the procedure. They saw a glimmer of hope. They wanted to scan me and possibly do the D&C on New Years Eve but I told them no. I needed at least one holiday trauma free. We ended up doing it later that month. So for me Christmas is even less of a holiday for me. It is a constant reminder of my losses.

Sorry to be a downer. I feel like I can't even contribute to a happy conversation! That being said, I still like reading about all of your holiday rituals!

I am so sorry :cry:

I can understand why Christmas is more painful for you then happy....I hope in time you will be able to see Christmas as a joyful time instead :hugs:

Amanda, I'm so sorry, I can imagine how hard it is for you. I totally forgot about last Xmas, I started to bleed on Boxing Day and it confirmed on New Years Eve that I was going to M/C, I passed the clots the next day, so it will no doubt bring back painful memories this year.xxx

Megg you had me in tears reading that, your so lovely.xxx

Ok you have all waited long enough, I'm ready to come out, my real name is Cassandra but I've never used it, everybody calls me Cassie!! There was quite a chuckle when my real name was read out at our wedding! I know often get asked "where's Rodney", (only the Brits will prob understand that)!!xxxxx

My nickname as a kid by my family was Sassy Cassie hence my username!x

Cassandra is lovely! I actually named the kitten in my avatar Cassandra and I call her Cassie for short too :blush: oh dear :lol:

yah!! our Sassy finally came out, lol!! Cassie is a beautiful name...I would never have thought of that

I LOVE both names, Cassandra and Cassie! It isn't an animal name in the US!

Megg you are so lovely. I try to do similar but confess most of my time and energy goes into animal rescues.

The midwife rang me today. How humiliating having to ask her to take me off the pregnancy book. Her 'Oh.' said it all :cry:

Oh.. I love a good animal rescue too... I only fight the urge to get involved because I would bring them ALL home! OH would leave me! LOL

Aww, honey! I'm so sorry you had to tell her today! Adding insult to injury and all! :hugs:

Well, I could hardly blame you for not being the biggest fan! Crap! :hugs: Christmas 2008 was a mere 10 days after my 1st loss... and my 2nd EDD is 2 days after Thanksgiving this year. That's why its so important to me to see a heartbeat prior to Christmas. I don't have the energy to spend another one sad!

Megg you had me in tears reading that, your so lovely.xxx

Ok you have all waited long enough, I'm ready to come out, my real name is Cassandra but I've never used it, everybody calls me Cassie!! There was quite a chuckle when my real name was read out at our wedding! I know often get asked "where's Rodney", (only the Brits will prob understand that)!!xxxxx

My nickname as a kid by my family was Sassy Cassie hence my username!x

Aww! I don't know a single animal named Cassie... but I did go to school with a lovely Cassie... She was one of my fav people, as she was incredibly funny and utterly delightful to be around. I can't help but wonder if its more an animal name in the UK... I don't know anyone who would name their pet Cassie in the US. Its a very person-oriented name here! I really like that! :hugs:

Hey lovely ladies,

I love hearing about how everyone spends christmas I absoutly love chirstmas love being at home with my family. Last year we had a big family one at my mum and dad all my brothers came with their partners and children my gorgeous niece and fab nephew. Christmas day we have a whole day of things we open stockings in the morning all on my mum and dad's bed (its hard to get us all on now :haha: as we're a lot bigger than we used to be) then we get up go to church come back have breakfast. My mum checks on the turkey then we have coffee and biscuits and open main presents we then play with our toys listen to music (christmas songs of course) chat etc while mum does all the food then we eat we have a starter then we do table presents pull crackers then main meal and pudding. We all help tidy up while mum puts her feet up then we relax let out food digest then its under the tree presents then chill out in front of the tele turkey and stuffing sandwichs and eventually bed. Boxing day is relaxed we go for a walk (we used to take the dogs out but we dont have any anymore :cry:) we have cold meat for lunch and my dad cooks home made chips so good. Oh christmas eve my dad and I always go out in the morning its our time and we buy little presents for my mum from my dad its so lovely sometimes my parents have a party for close friends and other years it just us. I love staying up late christmas eve and I finish wrapping my pressies while watching a film last year hubby stayed up with me which was our first christmas together at my parents the year before we were with his family but this year we're with mine again :happydance: I've only spent one chirstmas away from my parents they still live in the house I grew up and it always looks so amazing my mum does a fab job I always help her decorate the tree which looks beautiful.

For me its all about family and friends I love it steves a bit of a bah humbug bless him. It will be just me, steve, mum, dad and my little brother this year hopefully he will have his daughter for boxing day as shes with her mum this year as they aren't together anymore which is very sad.

Sorry for such a long post.

Sassy Cassie is a lovely name can't believe none of us got it.

Megg you are so lovely and hearty I totally understand your feelings towards christmas with everything you've been through :hugs: to you.

Aw thank you Megg :) It's ok I'll get to keep my name in the pregnancy book next time!

One of my big events for the year is in just 3 days! The annual Waggy Walk for Dogs Trust :D https://www.waggywalks.org.uk/

I can't WAIT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->