do you buy your child 18+ games?

I'm not sure... But my brother who is 14 will be having cod for Christmas and quite often plays against my oh. He's been playing games like that since high school i think. I would much rather my LO doing activietys such as football etc, my brother rarely goes out as all his mates play on th ps3/xbox :nope:

I won't be buying Lucas games like that ever, if he decides he wants them when he's 18 he can buy them. I'm not a gamer so he won't be around them at home anyway, but after studying violent films/games at college I don't want him around them at all. I know so many people desensitised by the images, I'd rather let him want.

Nope. Not in this house. Neither will we be letting her see 15+ films at a young age. I have known far too many kids at work who have been exposed to things in films/ games which are totally inappropriate. That said, will also be watching what is seen on TV as I don't think some of the themes in shows like Eastenders are terribly appropriate either.

yes i let my 9 year old (nearly 10 year old son) play 18 games, he plays COD online with all his mates. my son has only just recently been allowed to start playing these games. we do block certain scene on the game as its a bit much. but at the end of the day its a game , its not real life and he is limited to the amount of time he can play it.
lets face it we dont all stick to ratings on eveything do we? toys? films ect: i watched 18 films when i was 9/10 and it never done me any harm. if my son was affected by this then i wouldnt let him play it.

Exactly its not real life, in real life war and killing is terrible, tragic and shocking and kills and maims many and causes great suffering. So why would u want ur child to act it out in a game as entertainment? I just dont get it. :shrug:

because it is just a game :) there is no harm in it. we all as adults watch 18 films that involve killings and all sorts...doesnt mean thats because we want to do that does it? we enjoy watching these films and alot of them are based around true stories....so this is just the way the world moves foward.

^^ As adults we are able (in the main) to distinguish between real life and imaginary scenarios. Children do not have that ability. They often trot out lines like 'It is just a game' but they don't really fully understand. I think that for many children considerable harm is caused by exposing them to images which are far too adult.

^^ As adults we are able (in the main) to distinguish between real life and imaginary scenarios. Children do not have that ability. They often trot out lines like 'It is just a game' but they don't really fully understand. I think that for many children considerable harm is caused by exposing them to images which are far too adult.

i can speak on behalf of my son who is nearly 10 that he knows the different between fiction and reality, my son was one of the last people in his class playing these games so children even younger are playing them, as hes nearly 10 i think hes mature enough to play these games. there are settings on COD where you can block certain content and do bear in mind he plays other games such as football, batman, ect his life isnt ruled to this one game. if controlled I dont see the harm in it.

still as adults although we know the difference between real life and imaginary it doesnt stop us watching horrible violent films that contain horrible scenes yet we still enjoy watching them dont we.

i can speak on behalf of my son who is nearly 10 that he knows the different between fiction and reality, my son was one of the last people in his class playing these games so children even younger are playing them, as hes nearly 10 i think hes mature enough to play these games. there are settings on COD where you can block certain content and do bear in mind he plays other games such as football, batman, ect his life isnt ruled to this one game. if controlled I dont see the harm in it.

still as adults although we know the difference between real life and imaginary it doesnt stop us watching horrible violent films that contain horrible scenes yet we still enjoy watching them dont we.

But any adult who chooses to watch a violent film is just that, an adult. They are not a child. There is a whole lot of difference there. Whether the children in your son's class are watching/ playing 18+ games or not does not change the fact that, in my opinion, a 10 year old or younger child accessing things which are not age appropriate is not okay.

But any adult who chooses to watch a violent film is just that, an adult. They are not a child. There is a whole lot of difference there. Whether the children in your son's class are watching/ playing 18+ games or not does not change the fact that, in my opinion, a 10 year old or younger child accessing things which are not age appropriate is not okay.

well thats great but i have my opinion and you have yours and im sure there are alot of people who do let their children play 18 plus games and im not afraid to say yes my son plays them.

well thats great but i have my opinion and you have yours and im sure there are alot of people who do let their children play 18 plus games and im not afraid to say yes my son plays them.

For me there is a big difference between a 14/15 year old playing 18+ games and a 10 year old or younger. For me it is not okay. As I said earlier, my opinion.

Its 18+ for a reason otherwise why bother having ratings? They are there to protect children. If their so harmless may as well let a toddler watch a R18+ movie, how ridiculous and imo irresponsible as a parent :shrug:

Its 18+ for a reason otherwise why bother having ratings? They are there to protect children. If their so harmless may as well let a toddler watch a R18+ movie, how ridiculous and imo irresponsible as a parent :shrug:

your very clearly being a "bit" extreme arnt you? unless you have a child of the spoken age then you cant attack other parents for deciding what they can and cant do, even then calling someone "irresponsible" for letting their own child play 18 plus games its not your place. I just love how some people are inclined to comment strongly when they have never been in the situation, if you havnt been in the situation you can never truly say.
I find letting my son play COD is alot better than letting him run wild on the internet talking to god knows who.

your very clearly being a "bit" extreme arnt you? unless you have a child of the spoken age then you cant attack other parents for deciding what they can and cant do, even then calling someone "irresponsible" for letting their own child play 18 plus games its not your place. I just love how some people are inclined to comment strongly when they have never been in the situation, if you havnt been in the situation you can never truly say.
I find letting my son play COD is alot better than letting him run wild on the internet talking to god knows who.

I have a child of the 'spoken' age, DD1 is eight and I have seen people speak in the thread about how they know of 8 year olds playing these type of games and TBH I agree with ShanandBoc, imo it is irresponsible.

I don't think you can dictate that just because she doesn't have a child that age then basically she is not allowed her opinion, how ridiculous. :shrug: I suppose it would be the same then if she see a parent letting their child drink alcohol at 8/9 years old, or letting them have a cigarette, she would be unable to judge or state her opinion as her child wasn't that age yet :dohh:

I tend to agree with Indy and Lara, there is a big difference between allowing an 8/9 year old play these type of games then there is say a 14/15 year old. I cant say that I would never allow DD1 to play these games underage or watch 18+ films, all I can say is that it certainly wont be in the next few years, at the moment she hasn't watched above a PG and TBH I don't think it is necessary for her to do so. I suppose I just don't see why children are being pushed into growing up so fast these day. :shrug:

:flower:

As parents we are responsible for the safety of our children and adhering to the rules set out to protect them. For someone to say that breaking these rules is then irresponsible sounds about right :shrug:

My son is 18 months old and you can ask me again in another 10 years, I'll say the same thing. I will not give in to peer pressure because the parents of my sons friends may decide it's fine to expose their children to disgusting and inappropiate material. My parents didn't, his Dad's parents didn't, and since it's one of the few things I feel VERY strongly about I can say with certainty I won't.
I'd much rather my child were 'uncool' for a few years.

I do wonder if those that find my view naive let their children engage in other '18+' activities at such young ages? Drinking and smoking maybe? Surely I can't decide now that my son won't be doing these things when he's 10/11?

mum22ttc#3 - sorry i wasn't trying to steal your point I was still posting when you replied :haha::dohh:

You dont have to have an eight year old to know you wont be allowing these games at eight.

The bit in bold, surely its not an either or situation. People can allow neither, I dont allow my son to do either. Right now he is playing imagination play with his sisters, before he was playing lego. Thats not to say I dont allow computers etc, because I do but what I believe to be age appropriate for him :shrug:

Not a chance! As again on about my nephew from the 'being spoilt thread' lol - he plays on shooting games and watches his dad play call of duty! and he can get so (cant think of word lol) but yea aggressive! if he gets mad "ill kill you" "ill shoot you dead" "ill strangle you" "ill knock your head in" he shouldn't be coming out with things like that at 5 years ols.. its wrong!!

I wouldent ever let my LO play games that are 18+ that early (they are 18 for a reason, and I think it does cause children to become numb to violence). However that may be due to the fact I am a teacher and have had to deal with children reinacting the scenes from these horible games. I had several boys beating the hell out of each other because they decided they were Ben 10 (I have grown to hate this show that I have never seen due to the amount of bad behaviour it causes in the playground) and that is a programme made for children, these games like COD are much worse. When you see some of the artwork of children shown to early it is disturbing and with the ones that are a bit older in the stories they write. I will be fine with getting her a wii and having some nice games, my OH doesent have any violent games he likes the sports ones. I feel lucky having a girl since they dont seem as interested. We never had any type of games console when I was growing up. Mind you I wont want LO watching the news since alot of that is very unsuitable for a child to see

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->