do you buy your child 18+ games?

Erm, Christ, it would all depend on the game/or film..

When my nephew goes to his Nanas house (FOB's parents) he's come back and he's been allowed to watch Harry potter.. But these films ARE quite scary.. And my nephew is 2 (3in January) and Harry potter is NOT appropriate. Annoys me with all the children's toys etc to do with Harry potter, because only the first one is alright for a child, the rest are too dark and violent, yet their merchandise is marketed at the young children : :shrug:

I won't have a blanket ban - age 18 and NO negotiating, I'll decide as and when things crop up

Dec has been a big Harry Potter fan since he was about 2.5 years old. He loves them all :shrug:

They're quite scary! They scare me - maybe I'm just a wuss!

:haha::haha: Dec has even seen the last 2, he is a real wee fan. When we went to Universal the very first thing we had to do was take him to Harry Potter world to get a wand, he just turned 4, 2 weeks a go :dohh:

i sometimes think im more scared of things than kids are. :rofl:

i used to be able to watch all kinds of crap and now i just can't cope with it.

I've battled with this for a few years now, my son since the age of 8 has been asking for the call of duty ect but we've always said no. I don't think they're appropriate at all but what concerns me more is the addiction. Alot of his friends are online well into the night with them and it horrifies me how little they do with anything else. One friend declined going to the skate park with my son because he wanted to play cod and he's loves the skate park.
Saying that, he's now 12. Very grown up for his age and I've been feeling very pressured as he honestly is the only one who isn't allowed to have it. As much as I hate the thought of him on it I also hate the fact kids are now taking the piss out of him (I have seen some comments from them) that he's nearly a teenager and the only one that doesn't have the game. I'm trying to be responsible but it's very hard when your child is the odd one out.
He does a variety of sports, plays cricket for Leicester district, gkeeper for the school, also In a golf academy and does boxing classes twice a week. He's not going to be on it much so I've caved in this yr for Xmas. You try to protect them from so much, and you can ask any friend of mine.. I'm quite strict in my parenting but sometimes you have to evaluate for the sake of the child so they're not being alienated at school.

Peer pressure sucks.

I think there is quite a big difference between Morgan as a seven year old (fairly immature one too) and a ten year old playing. I dont think he will be ready at 10 either though, he watched power rangers for the first time the other day and immediately tried it out on his sister, dont wanna walk into a room with him smashing her head off some glass whilst smoking :rofl: Kidding.

I think the game is also the issue the things I mentioned in my spolier are just not suitable for my seven year old, but racing is different and I guess some would of been put as 18 because of language. Morgan goes to football with me and the language surrounding him can be really bad so if it because of swear words rather than violence or because it is really difficult then that is different too.

I think there is quite a big difference between Morgan as a seven year old (fairly immature one too) and a ten year old playing. I dont think he will be ready at 10 either though, he watched power rangers for the first time the other day and immediately tried it out on his sister, dont wanna walk into a room with him smashing her head off some glass whilst smoking :rofl: Kidding.

I think the game is also the issue the things I mentioned in my spolier are just not suitable for my seven year old, but racing is different and I guess some would of been put as 18 because of language. Morgan goes to football with me and the language surrounding him can be really bad so if it because of swear words rather than violence or because it is really difficult then that is different too.

I am sorry Tasha but this made me LOL :haha:

I know what you mean, Dan had them at 10 but I honestly cannot see myself letting Dec play them at that age, he is just so different to Dan, I think he may want to try out a few stunts to :dohh:

i guess it does depend on the childs personality too.

It really does. My two boys are so different, things Dan was doing at a certain age I could never see Dec doing them, Dan is so sensible and Dec is just a wee bugger :dohh:

Matthew does not play COD but he has seen OH play it so not much better I suppose!

Matthew does not play COD but he has seen OH play it so not much better I suppose!

Dec has seen Dan play COD :dohh: and I only know because of what Dec said when he came down stairs, it was somthing along the lines of, shooting someones head of and lots of blood being splattered everywhere :growlmad: Dans room door is now locked when he is on the Xbox/playstation.

I think there is, but I also think there is a big difference between the age of eight and the age of ten in maturity. COD is particularly violent and graphic, much more so than Halo (which is a 15 but probably would get away with being a 12 in some countries) and I just dont think that is suitable for an eight year old no matter how mature they are.

DD1 is 8 and I certainly wont be buying her any 18+'s, games or films. I think I'm probably luckier in that way by only having girls as they don't seem so interested in violent games, I know I never was and the only thing that really interested me when I was that bit older, probably around 14 was Horror films.

I'm not sure if I'm too strict regarding this but so far she has only ever watched age appropriate films. I'm not going to have an out right rule though of no 18's until 18, I will just let them watch what I see fit and appropriate at the time. :thumbup:

Yeah in COD they (GRAPHIC)
shoot the head and it gets blown off, one minute the heads there the next its not then you watch the blood splatter and the body fall to the ground.

I figured out why COD seems so much worse than Halo, Halo is very obviously fictional/a game whereas COD is very realistic, so I think that is why COD bothers me so much. I do think when Morgan is Dan's age he will be playing those game, probably in secondry school so 11/12. Oh and Halo he could possibly play now but i would need to watch a bit more to see x

if jake wants to watch films that are 18 when he's under 18, he can deal with the nightmares as i won't be watching them :rofl:

My friend use to put her 2 year old to bed watching Jaws and wondered why he had nightmares every night

I think there is, but I also think there is a big difference between the age of eight and the age of ten in maturity. COD is particularly violent and graphic, much more so than Halo (which is a 15 but probably would get away with being a 12 in some countries) and I just dont think that is suitable for an eight year old no matter how mature they are.

TBH I don't see how any 18+ is appropriate for an 8 year old, they are graded as 18+ for a reason. :shrug:

I haven't played any of these games so don't understand them totally but from reading your spoiler there would be no way that I would be buying that for DD1 (who is 8) anytime in the near future. I just cant see how it is appropriate, not to mention it would probably scare the hell out of her.

:flower:

TBH I don't see how any 18+ is appropriate for an 8 year old, they are graded as 18+ for a reason. :shrug:

I haven't played any of these games so don't understand them totally but from reading your spoiler there would be no way that I would be buying that for DD1 (who is 8) anytime in the near future. I just cant see how it is appropriate, not to mention it would probably scare the hell out of her.

:flower:

which is exactly what I have said for my children, I said it isnt suitable for an 8 year old. I would let my child until they were 11/12 and the reason I would then is because I imagine he will be going off to his friends house and playing it regardless of whether I say yes or no. Some 18 year old games are racing and some are wrestling, so whilst I personally wont let me seven year old, if people let their children watch wrestling then I could see why they would buy the game :thumbup:

I'm probably gonna get moaned at, but I'll let LO play 18+ games when he wants to, as I was allowed from the age of like 7/8 as was OH, and we're perfectly fine. Fair enough, if he's a wee shit as he grows up, I won't allow him as much but as long as he is responsible, then yes I'll let him. It'll be hard to avoid it anyway in our house as both myself and OH are BIG gamers, and we are collectors too, so buy every game that comes out basically :haha: xx

I'd use them as a guide but wouldn't follow them religiously

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->