• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dostinex and getting pregnant

Just had a scan 13.5 weeks pregnant, we saw our sweet baby kicking up a storm and rubbing its eyes, all looks great we are now officially out of danger of miscarriage, don't give up hope ladies it will happen :)

Hi ladies,
After ttc for over a year, I have just been diagnosed with a pituitary cyst and start on .25 of cabergoline a week next Wednesday. I was just wondering if any of you had any positive updates and have managed to get a bfp since your last postings?
Huge congratulations to those who already have bfp and very best of luck :)
Mrs D
X

Hi ladies!
Hope you don't mind if I join in!
My (long!) story: after delivering my second child I had an auto-immune pituitary disease that caused headaches and left my pituitary gland in not quite perfect condition. My child is 5 years old, and I have ovulated only once on my own since then. While the disease was causing the headaches (from swelling of the gland) my prolactin was always mildly elevated (about 50.) In the last 6 months it has returned to the high end of the normal range, but I still have galactorrhea (which I have had since I stopped breastfeeding my child.) My ob-gyn put me on femara, and I was growing follicles, but still not ovulating, so they used a trigger shot. The trigger shot worked, but then my luteal phase was pretty short. Anyway, I am pretty sure that I should be taking cabergoline because of the discharge and my history of elevated prolactin, but I have to wait until I see a new endocrinologist in a few weeks. I was happy to see a prolactin thread on here and to read about your experiences. Thanks so much and good luck to all of you!

nc1998 - I had a short luteal phase a couple times so my RE put me on progesterone right after I ovulated. Who knows if I would have gotten pregnant without it. But something at least worth asking about... Cabergoline isn't too bad in terms of side effects. It dried up my discharge in less than 2 months. Also, no way of knowing if that is what did the trick...Maybe it was a combo of everything! Good luck to you too!

Thanks for the link Ash

Hi ladies, I have just been told I have abnormal prolactin levels. So far I have only spoken with a nurse, and I have to speak to a doctor on Monday. My cycles have gotten very erratic, and I do not even now if I will ovulate this cycle.

I have thyroid problems as well, but my thyroid hormone levels are normal, so they are not linked.

For years I noticed a creamy discharge came from my nipples if I squeezed them, but I just thought this was normal for everyone - guess not!

So here I am, awaiting further consultations, and trying desperately to get a bfp

Yep, I had the same thing. Noticed the discharge for years and even asked the gyno about it. It wasn't until I mentioned it to my RE that I found out it could have been preventing us from getting pregnant. The only weird thing for me was that my prolactin levels always measured in the normal range...

I never thought anything about prolactin, I was so sure my problems were due to my thyroid. So was a bit of a surprise. I want meds straight away, I am so impatient and feel like I have waited long enough now LOL Feels like the last year has been a waste of time

I know what you mean. It is all so frustrating!! Being able to identify and treat a specific problem is so helpful though. Good luck and hope you are able to get the meds!

Thanks SanFran! I am hoping the dostinex will do the trick. I will check back in here when my new endo hopefully will have some insight!
And good luck to you too rmsh1, I totally feel the same way... I am ready to have this problem under control! :)

Just to have regular cycles would be nice! A real chance of getting pregnant

I spoke with my doctor yesterday, and I have to have another blood test to confirm my result next week. He said he needs two blood tests to refer me to an endocrinologist.

The "normal" range for prolactin is 30-628 mIU/L, mine are 870. So he said not too high but still abnormal. I also told him about the milky liquid. He asked if I was taking any herbal medicine, I said I had only just started fertility tea (which I am now stopping until after the blood test). That would not have affected my day 3 bloods, as I only started drinking it on CD1.

So more waiting, but I booked my blood test for June 27th, and an appointment to discuss results on July 4th

Good luck with your second round of results. Even if your levels are high I'm positive that you will be fine and will get pregnant. The medicine works miracles, it did for me anyways and now my prolactin is perfect so FX'd for you!

Good luck with your second round of results. Even if your levels are high I'm positive that you will be fine and will get pregnant. The medicine works miracles, it did for me anyways and now my prolactin is perfect so FX'd for you!

Thanks! I can only hope it will fix my cycles right up. If not, back to the drawing board with whatever is wrong with my cycles

Good luck, rmsh. Elevated prolactin definitely messes up cycles, so fx'd this will get it back to perfect for you! Also, interesting that you mentioned the tea... I took fertilitea for a few weeks last fall (with vitex in it), and it dried up my galactorrhea quickly. (Vitex lowers prolactin). Unfortunately it gave me an awful headache so I couldn't keep it up. Good luck!

Good luck, rmsh. Elevated prolactin definitely messes up cycles, so fx'd this will get it back to perfect for you! Also, interesting that you mentioned the tea... I took fertilitea for a few weeks last fall (with vitex in it), and it dried up my galactorrhea quickly. (Vitex lowers prolactin). Unfortunately it gave me an awful headache so I couldn't keep it up. Good luck!

I stopped the tea after only drinking it two weeks :( Just until I get my bloods done. I was still getting milky stuff while drinking it anyway, so dont think it was working (I know I might not have been taking it long enough though)

i was going to try vitex but I want my blood tests to be a true reflection of my levels, so no vitex yet

rmsh - I don't know how quickly the vitex helps but I know even with the dostinex medication it takes about 7 weeks normally to see a change in the prolactin levels. So you probably weren't taking it long enough :)

Yeah and vitex takes three months to work as well. I dont want it to change my true levels of prolactin right now, so I can get a clear diagnosis. If I am going to be given meds, I cannot take vitex anyway, so no point starting now

Yeah I completely agree. I would just let the doctor get a true idea of what your prolactin is and then go from there.

Hi ladies...I've kind of been stalking this thread as I have an underactive thyroid and based on some of the other things some of you have mentioned feel this may be an issue for me. I thought I saw in an ealier post by someone that they had a lot of creamy cm, which I have pretty much my entire cycle except for O and af.

Can you ladies tell me the symptoms you were having and what made your doctor check for this or you ask for your prolactin levels to be tested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->