Ears pierced - girls

Aside from all the reasons why you might be against piercing a babies ears - I think it looks totally horrible!

I find it incredible that there's even a debate as to whether or not putting a hole and a piece of metal in the ears of a baby against their will because you think it looks nice is ok or not!

I agree with the above, their little ears are growing and it can alter the final positioning of the earing. Babies ears should be left alone imo.

I mean what if they became badly infected, or one got caught and ripped out. All for the sake of a mother thinking it looks 'pretty' or 'cute'. I dont get it.

Agreed! This happened to me actually. I begged my mom to pierce my ears when I was 4. She gave in and let me do it, and my ear ripped out a year later. The doctor said it is much more common than people think and it's not the first time he's seen it. Because our ears continue to grow and the hole can grow to the bottom of the ear. So lots of pain, 14 stitches later, and I had to wait until I was 16 to re-pierce them(doctors orders). It's not worth it. :nope:

I couldn't even imagine risking something like that with my baby for vanity... Nope...
:hugs: to you hun!

I was about seven when I had mine pierced and only then because my brother and uncle had theirs done and I wanted mine done too. So I nagged and nagged my mum to have them done and almost right away I managed to rip one out.

I don't wear them now, I wouldn't want Joseph to have one and don't think I would let him or any other child of mine until they were at least twelve. And then only if they asked.

I still feel sick when I remember how much pain I was in when I ripped that earring out and I would hate Joseph to be hurt that way. I'm hoping he never wants an earring.

:hugs::hugs: I remember how bad it was for me too. I had to get stitches twice. The first set didn't hold. :wacko: I couldn't bare the thought of Emma going through the same.

Im not sure id realy class the two as the same as peircing is having a foreign metal object inserted into the body and left with the intention of keeping a unnatural hole open (when I say un natural I just mean somthing they where not born with not as in its weird or wrong) where as getting a baby boy cut is somthing that heals up and is then completly forgotten about and most lads are never even aware of the operation or the differance even in later life.
Plus curcumsision isnt for the soul purpose of vanity and cuteness so I dont think they realy have anything to do with each other.

I agree they are totally different procedures, I was just answering the question put to me. However, they are both invasive procedures carried out on a matter or principle or preference rather than necessity so in that respect I can see where the similarity was drawn.

I had mine 'almost' pierced at the age of 6. I grew up in Spain where girls have them done within a few days of being born and I was the odd one out with no earrings.

The day we went to get them done, mum explained to me what would happen etc...they did the first one...and I threw a total shit fit and refused to let them do the other one. My mum was convinced if I took it out before the 6 weeks it would get infected, so I had to go to school with one ear pierced - great.

I then had them done again when I was probably about 9. Looked after them, they healed fine, and we came back to the UK and my older cousin (who treated me like her dolly and did my hair, dressed me up) decided to try her earrings in me. 10 days later I was in hospital with an infection so severe it had caused cellulitis, I had what can only be described as a crust from under my chin right up into my hair, I was a few days away from blood poisoning, I was on antibiotics for weeks, and I still have a tendency to flare ups in that ear. All from an earring.

So, no. Holly will not have her ears pierced. When she can pay for them herself etc etc etc, fine. But as long as she is under 16, her ears are mine!

However, to echo what Redpoppy said - in the grand scheme of things, it is an earring. It is NOT child abuse. One of my oldest friends who still lives in Spain had her little girls ears pierced when she was 2 days old. I cringed inwardly, but who the hell am I to judge?

i had mine done as a baby

but i personally dont like it on babies. I have 5 daughters and the older 3 have theirs done and they were over 8 when they asked. My 5 yr od has asked and ive told her its not allowed to bedone until after 8 yrs old!

I really dont like it on boys though x

I find it incredible that there's even a debate as to whether or not putting a hole and a piece of metal in the ears of a baby against their will because you think it looks nice is ok or not!

I'm always baffled that it's a debate too, it goes without saying for me!

Each to their own I guess :shrug:
I wouldn't judge any parent for having done it to their child at all.

Seems like a big no no for mums on BNB but i see so many babies while out and about with their ears pierced all the time x

probably the reason for that is the type of people that I see around my area alone who do have This done are not realy the type of parents you would find on a forum like this attemting to better their parenting skills
This is not aimed at anyone here and not aimed at all parents who do it but just a general "type" and I think we have all seen that type around.

probably the reason for that is the type of people that I see around my area alone who do have This done are not realy the type of parents you would find on a forum like this attemting to better their parenting skills
This is not aimed at anyone here and not aimed at all parents who do it but just a general "type" and I think we have all seen that type around.

I find this comment horrible as you are stereo-typing!!! You may have said that it is not aimed at people on here but you've only said that to stop an argument!! This comment is very unfair!!!!!

I'd never do it at a young age. So many at the nursery I work at have had them done an they've been more of a problem for the child than anything else.. hair getting caught, them being pulled out, one girl was in tears because her Mum forgot to take them out before she went to school that morning and she was embarrased at having to put tape over them as she was only five and couldn't take them out herself.
When LO comes to me and asks to get them done, I will consider whether I think she's old enough and can look after them. I was 9, I asked for them to be done and my Mum obviously agreed and I had to make sure I cleaned them etc. However my cousins were never allowed until secondary school age that's just the rule their parents set.

I actually agree. Not wanting to stereotype or offend, but the sort of people who live near me who I've seen do it don't seem the type to come somewhere like this to ask for and give advice. In fact, most of them are the ones who go out dressed in big coats with a little dress or whatever on their LOs, so I'm not judging by the fact they've pierced their babies ears.

I tend to agree with smokey on this one. In my experience, it kind of goes with the parenting style. No one can ever give me a good reason for 'why'. IYKWIM. Not that I'm walking around judging people and saying WHY every time I see pierced ears. :haha:

I find this comment horrible as you are stereo-typing!!! You may have said that it is not aimed at people on here but you've only said that to stop an argument!! This comment is very unfair!!!!!

Unless you are the type I am clearly refering to ie job dodging, foul mouthed, screaming and swearing at your kids, fag hanging out of your mouth while leaning over your baby while dragging your other kids along kicking and screaming and too busy caring how much white lightning you can get with your child benafits rather then seeing that one of your kids has just pocketed a load of sweets in the shop.
Then I am cleary refering to a "type" and a "type" I see alot of im my area, I dont see that as being unfair as I am clearly not refering to your adverage mother who gets it done and to be honest I dont care if I offend that "type"

Yes I said it to stop an argument because someone always jumps on things like that no matter how you word it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->