Ears pierced - girls

I kind of agree too... I know the people on my FB who have their LO's ears pierced at the same ones who go out A LOT drinking to the clubs, draggin their LO everywhere not in a good way, don't put their LO first and well... treat their baby girl like an effin accessory instead of a damn baby! Not saying you all are like that, just what I see in my daily life.

My daughter has her ears pierced and we had them done at 4 months.... It kinda a family tradition... I had mine done when I was 4 months my mom had hers done at 4 months and so did her mom... I know I am going to be bashed and I don't care... I know im a good mother none of you know me or my situation so dont even begin to judge me...

I kind of agree too... I know the people on my FB who have their LO's ears pierced at the same ones who go out A LOT drinking to the clubs, draggin their LO everywhere not in a good way, don't put their LO first and well... treat their baby girl like an effin accessory instead of a damn baby! Not saying you all are like that, just what I see in my daily life.

Completely OT but I love your new avatar piccie. She looks so grown up!! :cloud9:

Sorry, not read all the thread. I don't think babies or young children should have their ears pierced. I was actually 24 when I chosen to get mine done and I'm glad I waited. I wasn't pressured into it as a teen and did it because I wanted to. We have a family history of keloid skin and my brother got a nasty keloid on his ear when he had a piercing done. I chose to do mine after I'd had a dodgy mole removed on my face and it had healed fine.

Overall I think there is a weird pressure for women to have their ears pierced that grates on me. I also feel cross about the differences between men and women.

Sorry slight edit as I just realised a bunch of typos made no sense!

Sorry, not read all the thread. I don't think babies or young children should have their ears pierced. I was actually 24 when I chosen to get mine done and I'm glad I waited. I wasn't pressured into it as a teen and did it because I wanted to not. WE have a family history of keloid skin and my brother got a nasty keloid on his ear when he had a piercing done. I chose to do mine after I'd had a dodgy mole removed on my face and it had healed fine.

Overall I think there is a weird pressure for women to have their ears pierced that grates on me. I also feel cross about the differences between men and women.

You've just got me thinking, OH's family have keloid skin (him and his sister) and one of Evie's chicken pox on her chest seems to have healed suspiciously keloid, so thats something else to consider when she does eventually ask. Thanks for pointing that out :flower:

Another thing I didn't consider before when I said she could have them done at 10 if she asked, do all schools make kids take earrings out? If they do then I think I'll make her wait until she finishes school, I had mine done at 9 but I never had to take them out for school so that wasn't an issue for me.

Completely OT but I love your new avatar piccie. She looks so grown up!! :cloud9:

Why thank you hun :) I love yours too! Always makes me smile. You can see the bond and comfort in that picture, just beautiful :)

I hate it! I dont think it looks nice at all. I do agree with each to own though. I wouldn't even consider getting my daughters done and she is 4.

Sorry, not read all the thread. I don't think babies or young children should have their ears pierced. I was actually 24 when I chosen to get mine done and I'm glad I waited. I wasn't pressured into it as a teen and did it because I wanted to. We have a family history of keloid skin and my brother got a nasty keloid on his ear when he had a piercing done. I chose to do mine after I'd had a dodgy mole removed on my face and it had healed fine.

What is keloid skin?

What is keloid skin?

My OH got severely sunburnt on his back when he was a kid and he has loads of raised scars on his back. From what he's said the skin continues to scar over after its healed resulting in raised bumps. Evie's chicken pox scar on her chest has raised into a bump which makes me think she has got the same thing.

What is keloid skin?

My OH got severely sunburnt on his back when he was a kid and he has loads of raised scars on his back. From what he's said the skin continues to scar over after its healed resulting in raised bumps. Evie's chicken pox scar on her chest has raised into a bump which makes me think she has got the same thing.

Ooo wonder if thats like what I had then, I had a chicken pox scar on my chest from when I was a kid and it developed into a large bump right on my chest bone.
I used to have to have quarterzone sp? injections into it every other month to take the scaring down, I still have it but is now an indent rather then a bump.
I also had an incedent from being a stupid drunken teen and am left with scaring on my arm that is all raised up and just never healed even after skin graphs.
Plus most of my peircing ended up in bumps where too much cartalidge and flesh grew back and forced the peircings out

That sounds like keloids smokey. Was it cortizone? Basically it's an overproduction of scar tissue that becomes a big red angry lump and keeps on growing for years. These days if you are prone and having some sort of incision you can be injected with steroid which prevents the keloid forming but does blanche the skin. My mum has a horrible one from her gallbladder operation many years ago. Eventually they do begin to slow down and sometimes reduce in size but it's years and on the ear lobe is a pretty yuck place to get one. Dark skinned people are more susceptible that white skinned but for some reason the tissue on the ear is a particularly common place to get them even if you haven't ever had any before.

I have never had my ears pierced, so I don't even think about it for H.
When it comes up, then I will consider it.

I have had everything else pierced, but when I was 17+.

That sounds like keloids smokey. Was it cortizone? Basically it's an overproduction of scar tissue that becomes a big red angry lump and keeps on growing for years. These days if you are prone and having some sort of incision you can be injected with steroid which prevents the keloid forming but does blanche the skin. My mum has a horrible one from her gallbladder operation many years ago. Eventually they do begin to slow down and sometimes reduce in size but it's years and on the ear lobe is a pretty yuck place to get one. Dark skinned people are more susceptible that white skinned but for some reason the tissue on the ear is a particularly common place to get them even if you haven't ever had any before.

That explains alot, id never actualy heard of it before, yes it was cortizone I just didnt have a clue how to spell it :)
I often wondered why the scars on my spine from my operations where like a red bumpy raised up line, I just always assumed thats what could happen as I grew as I had the operations as a baby for Spina Bifida

Is this somethingdo you think I should bring up with my dr for future refrance or is it something you just get on with?

Edit.. never mind iv just looked at some pictures of scaring and mine is barely anything compared to some of those and iv lived with it long enough without knowing there was anything wrong.
The only thing that bugs me about the one on my chest is it looks like iv had a 3rd nipple :)

I think the most effective treatment is prevention by injecting steroids at the time of the cut but you could ask your GP if steroid cream might help reduce the lump. My mum has one on her chest too, high up, and always felt uncomfortable wearing anything remotely low cut.

I've just googled too to see what you saw and most of those images are super-mega scars! That doesn't mean yours aren't keloid. It's worth bearing in mind for your LO as it is hereditary. My brother is the only one of us four that has got it I think. (Though the dermatologist who looked at my piercing that went nuts during last pregnancy would tell you otherwise. Odd that the report didn't mention the cyst the surgeon cut out of my ear...)

I think the most effective treatment is prevention by injecting steroids at the time of the cut but you could ask your GP if steroid cream might help reduce the lump. My mum has one on her chest too, high up, and always felt uncomfortable wearing anything remotely low cut.

I've just googled too to see what you saw and most of those images are super-mega scars! That doesn't mean yours aren't keloid. It's worth bearing in mind for your LO as it is hereditary. My brother is the only one of us four that has got it I think. (Though the dermatologist who looked at my piercing that went nuts during last pregnancy would tell you otherwise. Odd that the report didn't mention the cyst the surgeon cut out of my ear...)

my BCG scar came up like a large red whelp and has always been like that ever since (not sure if its because of that) but LO;s never even had a pin prick mark so hopefully he hasnt got it, as his fathers never marked either.

Haha you learn somthing new everyday even if it is about yourself :)

I know in some cultures its the norm for babies to have their ears pierced shortly after birth (Spanish/Latino culture certain Jewish cultures, certain Arab cultures etc) but I think in this society its not really the norm and I'm not really comfortable with it. I was allowed to have my ears pierced aged 10 but chose in the end to have it done aged 19.

I have my ears pierced but wierdly ever since i got pregnant and even now bubs is here i cant wear earings at all, they irritate my ears and burn and itch nearly immeditaely if i try and wear any, even sterling silver, weird....ive never had a problem before :(

i dont wear my earing much and would never get a babies ears pierced my cousin just got his 15 month old daughters done and it looks aweful! deffinatly no ear piercing till they ask and then it depends how old they are

I find it incredible that there's even a debate as to whether or not putting a hole and a piece of metal in the ears of a baby against their will because you think it looks nice is ok or not!

Its hardly against their will they dont know any different. Its not like I took my children there and they were screaming 'NO MUMMY NO' at me :shrug::dohh:

Its against their will as they dont have a say in the matter and they dont understand what is happening. I think it should be the childs choice when they are older....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->