Embarrassed: what to do with pubic hair?

brambram

New mother of one
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am really embarrassed to ask this, but what are your opinions on pubic hair during labour? This is my first, so I have no idea what the protocol is...Does it really matter?

I was admitted to hospital at 24 weeks due to an incompetent cervix and doctors thought that I was going to give birth soon. I had no warning and didn't have time to get anything ready. Needless to say, I'm happy to report that I am still pregnant and 31 weeks. However, I have been in the hospital all this time, under observation and on strict bedrest. Anyway, point is I am sure that I have grown a forest down there and being in hospital I haven't been able to get my usually wax and my belly is so big now, I can't see anything down there (there is also no long mirror here for me to check things out).

So, what do people generally do with there ladies bits before labour? My mum told me that they shaved hers ... Do they still do that? I think I would be mortified if they had to do that in its current state...and I don't like shaving as I get itchy. Is it generally ok to just be au natural?

Hya, I'm a midwife and I assure you we do not mind AT ALL what you do with your hair! It really doesn't matter. Most people trim it back a bit shorter which can be helpful to us with suturing but whatever you want, it's your hair! The only time that there would be any shaving is if you have a c/section but that is literally just the top bit at the pubic line, not all of it. They did used to shave people way back but fortunately no more! So maybe shave the top part if you would be embarrassed if they did it but I promise your midwives will not think anything of it. Nothing to worry about at all.

When I found out I was pregnant I swore I was going to keep it bare as I previously had done. The idea of growing it out made me feel really uncomfortable.

That idea lasted until I got too big to see or comfortably reach anything down there. Even when I did attempt it, I left massive patches as I couldn't see anything. The bending when you have an enormous belly is very uncomfortable on your bump.

So I stopped. I still do my bikini line maybe once a week when I do my legs, but the rest of it is there as nature intended and I honestly couldn't care less any more! It's kind of liberating not having to worry about it :p

MrsSmartie, midwives really, truly don't think anything of it, or are you just too polite to comment? I don't mean to sound cheeky, but when I poke around down there, I'm just astonished at how much hair is there! It really never crosses your mind as a professional? I don't want to be the one remembered for her thick forest, iykwim!

I shaved it all off because I read a thread on here where a woman who hadn't trimmed said she was washing and the hair pulled a couple of stitches and ripped them :shock: so I made an effort to get rid.

I promise it doesn't bother is but it's a bit nicer if it's trimmed a bit. There are the odd moments when I think blimey how did it get that long! But I would never remember who it was to be honest. I see so many moos each day I don't really put a face to the muff if you know what I mean! Lol. It's more about you feeling comfortable. If it helps I will just be going for a trim and maybe a short back and sides if I am able to reach! It doesn't worry me at all because I know other midwives won't be bothered. X

I usually keep mine shaved off completely. During my last pregnancy I kept doing that every week or so, and as I got bigger I used a small mirror. My plan was when I went into labour, I would have a bath and shave before heading to the hospital after all 1st babies take their time and I would have lots of time to do that in early labour right. Wrong:haha: my labour started with contractions coming every 4 mins and only about 1.5mins apart. I was embarrassed of the weeks worth of growth at 1st, but by the time I got to the hospital and was in hard labour it was the least of my worries. I would suggest if nothing else shave the top bit. I ended up with a EMCS and the next day when they took the bandage off the incision it was like getting a bad waxing job:dohh:

I dont get why people care what they heck they do with their pubes?!

You're giving birth for christs sake..no one is going to turn around and snigger at some pubes! Have you ever seen a video of a baby crowning hair or no hair its still going to look crazy lol!

I know a few women who say well it'll be more hygenic after the birth to have no hair but to be honest EVERY method of hair removal will leave you with tiny wounds in the skin that will leave you more susceptible to infection.

Why do you think they stopped routinely shaving women in labour?

In many surgeries people arent shaved now either, i wasnt shaved for my EMCS although it wasnt rushed it took well over an hour from decision to getting me to theatre baby wasnt in distress they could have but didnt. I've spoken to numerous CS ladies who werent shaved either.

Regrowth and itchiness is something you defo do not want postpartum either, you get irriated enough down there from pads for weeks with the lochia let alone with regrowth too.

I had a tidy up both times, just gave everything a trim to make life easier but why go to the bother of worrying about it.

You have far more important things to focus on.

I understand that to you it is not important but the most important thing is that women feel comfortable in labour and if it is something that will bother them then they can do whatever they like to feel more at ease. As much as it is likely that they will forget all about it soon enough into the labour, if being examined is made worse by the anxiety that they aren't looking how they want to then it will be more painful etc. It may not be important to you or I but it is to some people so they should be able to talk about it together just like anything else!

Oh yeah dont get me wrong you have to be comfortable but why expend the energy worrying about hair. Focus that energy on birthing!

If you're uncomfortable with internals don't have them, if there are too many people int he room send them out, don't want your partner to see send them out, if your uncomfortable with being naked don't get naked.

Dont want hair dont have it just why worry about it?

Hi everyone, thanks for comments.

I do feel a bit better and glad I could ask. As I said, this is my first so wasn't sure what was expected. Now that I realise it doesn't affect the price of rice I suppose I'll be less anxious.

But believe me, my hair grows really thick, and I've been in hospital for 6 weeks now! So if I'm being honest, though it might not bother some people, the thought of what it looks like does bother me, as they might not even be able to tell if it's babys head or my muff as mrssmartie suggested, lol! I know when the pain hits it will probably be the last thing on my mind, but until then, I do find even examinations now a little embarrassing as I wonder what the examiner must be thinking, and it makes me more tense. I will still try and figure out how to trim it up. My partner will probably have to help, though I have little privacy here in hospital.

But glad to know there are others out there who just let it go, at least mine might pale in comparison to others. :)

The only way I found of trimming myself up without worrying about painful mistakes was using a pubic trimmer...I had a little remmington one.

Like clippers for normal hair it has an adjustable guard on it, you could get OH to pop into somewhere like Boots and grab one to give you a quick tidy without worrying about letting him loose with scissors or a razor LOL

Mind you do you have a private room? People might wonder what the heck you 2 are up to behind a curtain with a vibrating noise and the inevitable giggles

This kinda thing is great

https://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Smooth-Solutions-Bikini-Trimmer_1000106/

Oh yeah dont get me wrong you have to be comfortable but why expend the energy worrying about hair. Focus that energy on birthing!

If you're uncomfortable with internals don't have them, if there are too many people int he room send them out, don't want your partner to see send them out, if your uncomfortable with being naked don't get naked.

Dont want hair dont have it just why worry about it?
Thank you for your take Chuck...but as I mentioned, I am in hospital under observation and strict bedrest due to complications. Yes I have many things to worry at the moment, believe me, but unfortunately this still does bother me. Everyone is different. And unfortunately, being in hospital prevents me from doing what I would normally do to make myself comfortable and hence the question. I have to have internals based on my complications, to check baby. I would rather not have hair, but can't go outside to just take a walk, much less get a wax. Unfortunately I don't have the same circumstances that other pregnant women have.

I am sure you are right that I will probably be expending my energy on birth at the time, but again as I said, this is my first birth, so I have no idea what to expect. Please excuse my naivity - hence why I asked the question in the first place. But thank you for your opinion on the matter.

Ack people often get the wrong idea about my directness...I understand you can just go get a wax...hence the if you don't like it trim it suggestion.

By the way I think you're doing amazingly to have been in hospital this long and not to have gone completely potty!

Hospitals drive me mad!

I have a little trimmer like the one chuck posted. Since I've been pregnant I've just been trimming it back really short every couple of weeks. I figure the timing's not likely to work out to be clean shaven anyway and it just looks like a week or so's regrowth but without the razor burn! I can also do it without looking now bump's in the way and no chance of cutting yourself. I'd like it to be shorter just for easier access if I need stitches and (gross) no horrible matted blood in a big bush afterwards but it doesn't bother me in terms of aesthetics. Fannies are pretty unattractive anyway really :shrug: :haha:

I have a little trimmer like the one chuck posted. Since I've been pregnant I've just been trimming it back really short every couple of weeks. I figure the timing's not likely to work out to be clean shaven anyway and it just looks like a week or so's regrowth but without the razor burn! I can also do it without looking now bump's in the way and no chance of cutting yourself. I'd like it to be shorter just for easier access if I need stitches and (gross) no horrible matted blood in a big bush afterwards but it doesn't bother me in terms of aesthetics. Fannies are pretty unattractive anyway really :shrug: :haha:

Oh I dont know I think they're more pleasing to look at than willies and balls...balls are just funny looking

Ack people often get the wrong idea about my directness...I understand you can just go get a wax...hence the if you don't like it trim it suggestion.
No worries. I am now feeling more comfortable with my new freedom :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->