Exclusive pumping whilst baby is in nicu

amelia26

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation?

My term baby is in Nicu and won't be able to go on the breast for some time. When she does start feeds they will be tube feeds to start with and will increase very gradually.

She was able to breastfeed for 2.5 days before she had surgery. That was enough to bring my milk in. So I'm at the full, engorged stage.

I'm pumping to keep supply going so she can breastfeed when she's ready.
I'm pumping the right but hand expressing the left (pump isn't effective that side and nipple is damaged for trying).
I'm not sure how much to pump though. Hospital said every 3 hours, but how long for?
It feels like a never ending supply. I could go for hours and still get milk, just very slowly. Should I put a time limit on it? Or a volume to aim for?

I'm currently getting 3 to 4oz each time. She's 4 days old but a big baby.

I'd say 3-4oz is a good amount to aim for although iv always ebf so never been sure on the amount baby is getting but just work out that if she needs 3oz every 3 hrs how much u need to pump. Good luck and i hope your lo is home soon and you can Breast feed :hugs:

15-20 minutes. For your left, a bigger or smaller cone might work?

Thanks. I've done 20 mins at a time about 3 hours apart for the last 3 pumps and got about 3oz each time which seems pretty good for this early.

I'm pretty sure it was a too large cone that caused damage. I have a smaller one now which is miles better for my right but my left is just too painful to pump at the moment. They advised me at nicu to give that side a break from the pump whilst it heals. Hand expressing is getting a bit easier. I pump the right first and that normally triggers the let down a bit on the left as well which makes it a lot easier to get started.

Both are feeling pretty sore though. I really do hate pumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->