Father christmas

Nikkinoonoo

Mummy to a gorgeous girl
Reaction score
How does he work in your house? Are all presents from him? Only some? Who pays for them?

In our house we send father christmas the money, and he delivers the presents. My daughter got into the habit of saying 'I'll ask father christmas for it so we haven't got to pay for it', so we found this option worked best for us. It means she understands that the stuff she receives is still paid for my mummy and daddy and that's the reason daddy works so hard to send the pennies to father christmas etc.
She's now 7 and already saying some of the kids at school are saying father christmas isn't real :gun: so hoping this isn't the beginning of the end for her :(

Anyway just wondered how other people 'did santa' so to speak.

In our house all gifts except 2 (one from mummy and daddy and one from big brother) are from Santa, my son knows we send money to santa to pay for the gift so he knows there is only so much he can ask for and he knows they dont come free.

Ohhhh other gifts from family and are not santa, so aunt, uncles, granny and grandad and friends gifts are put under the tree with their names on them :)

Father Christmas brings small toys/sweets for the stocking. Bigger presents are from mom and dad (and family) and are wrapped and put under the tree.

We will be telling DS that we pay Santa for the gifts when he gets a bit older. This year will be the first year he gets the idea of Santa so my plan is that he will get his Christmas eve box as a gift from us and everything he gets in the morning is from Santa. He will get other presents throughout the day and in the next few days from relatives but he'll get those in person. He has uncles in Vancouver and Sweden so if they aren't going to be here in person we will arrange Skype calls when we give him the presents from them so he can properly associate the giver with the gift and they can see his reaction.

Santa fills the stockings in our house and all the rest of the presents are from the actual giver.

This is a bit of a bone of contention in our house. I want it to be that Father Christmas just brings the stocking and everything else is from the person who actually bought it, including the stuff from us. I want him to appreciate the effort and the money that goes into selecting his presents, and also understand that there is a reason that he might get less than some of his friends as our budget isn't as large. My OH, however, thinks that all our presents to him should be from Father Christmas because he wants him to be able to do the letter to FC thing and everything that goes with the magic of it. I think we've reached a compromise in that we're going to say we send the money to FC for his presents, but I still think that's a little confusing, because if we do that why doesn't the rest of his family? I still prefer my way, but I think I'll agree to it to keep the peace :haha:

The girls get one gift and a stocking from Santa, everything else is from whoever actually bought the gift. We've explained that while some people get more than one from Santa we've asked him only to bring one because we don't need more than that.

How does he work in your house? Are all presents from him? Only some? Who pays for them?

In our house we send father christmas the money, and he delivers the presents. My daughter got into the habit of saying 'I'll ask father christmas for it so we haven't got to pay for it', so we found this option worked best for us. It means she understands that the stuff she receives is still paid for my mummy and daddy and that's the reason daddy works so hard to send the pennies to father christmas etc.
She's now 7 and already saying some of the kids at school are saying father christmas isn't real :gun: so hoping this isn't the beginning of the end for her :(

We just leave boot marks on the carpet, a galss of milk and half eaten cookies and a carrot..... keep it simple

Also, we do family presents after dinner, Santa presents are in the morning.

We just leave boot marks on the carpet, a galss of milk and half eaten cookies and a carrot..... keep it simple

My mum had a friend who's husband used to chew the carrot and spit it out on the carpet to make it look like the reindeer had been at it. Now that's dedication to the cause :haha:

Santa brings 1 or 2 presents for each of them. Always the ones they ask for. Although dd can't talk so Santa is surprising her. Rest are from us. The kids buy each it her 1 present aswell. Family presents are whoever they came from. Although OHS mum always walks in and says Santa delivered these to my house for you. It annoys me a little because that's not how it's done in my house. But ds is usualy not paying attention because he is so busy peeking into the bags. I remind him later to say thank you to nannie and grandad for they presents they got him as they are leaving. I don't saying anything g to OHS mum because I like her. Might get OH to slip it into conversation.

We do some gifts from Santa and some from us/family. Usually whatever the kids have asked for from Santa comes from him (I do try to steer them in an okay direction though :rofl:). This year Hannah wants an Elsa castle and I've really got to move her away from that as she doesn't really play with toys and I'm not shelling out that kind of $$$ for something she won't play with! Rhys wants Ninja turtles :lol: He's easy though.

Hannah's best friend does not celebrate Christmas. I have simply told Hannah that some people don't and that's okay because those are their beliefs. But since they don't believe Santa doesn't come to their house as he does ours.

Everything is from santa for now at least (they are 5 and 3) as they get older i'll probs go more into the money side but while there little i'll just keep it as simple as possible.

presents from family are separate and usually opened with whoever it's from.

everything we buy is from santa, all other gifts that family buy are put under tree from them. we usually open all gifts in morning but think il hold off and only family after dinner as this is our first year at home all day. also LO is questioning why we dont get him a gift so think we will do that this year too

Here he brings most of the presents. We buy them a few each. We don't buy through the year for them and birthdays are a small affair so as far as they are concerned we couldn't afford to buy them lots of big expensive presents so it makes sense to them that santa would bring all those things while mum and dad could only afford a small pile ;)
We started buying some ' from us ' when ds1 came home from school at 4 and said "you buy us some too don't you? " and I said "yes, yes we do " lol
We open presents in the morning in a huge free for all lol

Main and stocking gifts come from me (well me and OH this year), everything else I buy is from Father Christmas, and any other gifts are just from whoever bought them.
I was loathe to say I give money to Father Christmas because when I was little that ruined the magic a bit, it went from this amazing kind man to just a guy doing his job and getting paid.. but then I did tend to overthink things as a child :lol:
Lucas started getting in the mindset that he could have anything at all though because we weren't paying for it so I explained that everything isn't free so we pay what we can towards the upkeep of the North Pole, the elves and all the toymaking so Father Christmas has to stick to a budget. But he knows I get his main gift and I've explained that lots of parents buy extra gifts so while Father Christmas gets the same for everyone, it might seem like others get more or less. Really I know I've gone into too much detail but it seems to make sense to him :haha:

Everything we buy is from father christmas and gifts from family and friends are in a seperate pile and we make sure to tell lo who they're from before she opens them :)

OH and I was talking about this. The girls have a sack upstairs which is going to be from Mummy and Daddy. Them downstairs are the presents from Father Christmas, and he will fill their stockings.
Presents from family etc are from them.

Everything we buy is from father christmas and gifts from family and friends are in a seperate pile and we make sure to tell lo who they're from before she opens them :)

This is exactly what happens here too :)

Father Christmas brings 3-4 presents (chosen from their lists) and their stocking. All other presents are from us / family / friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->