Friendly reminder to all! Updated pg6 :'(

Thank you for the reminder I have booked mine for weds. So sorry about your friend xx

This is slightly off topic but I have seen many of you post that you get an invite of some sort to get the test done. Do you seriously have to have permission to get something as important as this done? What if you don't get the invite, can you not get the service then? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Why can't you all go to the doctor when you want? When you need to?

Unfortunately yes, you need a letter from your doctor to go to your first smear. They refuse to see women under 25, which is the age in England. I asked my doctor if I could have an early smear, because my mother kept having abnormal results from hers, but they point blank refused. When I fially got my letter to attend my first smear, I was pregnant with my first chilld, so I couldn't attend. Then my 6 week postpartum check ad smear test was postponed until 18 weeks postpartum. I was already paranoid about having a problem, so I was driving myself crazy. Thankfully all was fine with my test. A am so grateful.

While I don't like people going down there, I really don't understand why women refuse to go, or avoid the procedure. It's a couple of moments of discomfort that could potentially save your life. Now I have kids I'm so concerned about my health, because I don't want my kids to grow up without their mother. I would do anything for them, and that includes a smear test. I will never not go to one.

We actually had a celebrity (she was made famous from being on the UK Big Brother), called Jade Goody. She was in India (I think) on the Indian version of Celebrity Big Brother, when she found out she had cervical cancer. I think she was baout 27. She was in the late stages of it, and the eventually died on MOthers Day a couple of years ago. But before her death she petitioned to have the minimum age for smear tests in England lowered, because while it's rare, it can happen. The government didn't care and they rled against it, and so we still have to wait until 25 for a smear, and even then it's only every 3 years.

I must have been 26/27 when I was treated for server dyskarosis, which is the the highest grade of pre cancerous classification there is. I was devastated. I rec'd treatment within 10 days inclding a colposcopy then LLETZ to remove an area of my cervix. I was on 6 monthly check ups after that, which have subsequently been downgraded to annual.

I started having smears at 18 years old, when I becamer sexually active, and regularly had then every 3 years, give or take a few months. The guidence on age only changed to 25 after I turned 25 and i NEVER understood why. I very suddenly went from being fine to having a server result in just 3 years. I then found out my now husband had mistakenly/drunkenly had a one night stand. In this period which could have explained this result (could also have been unrelated). We have been together 12 years and worked through this, but it took time - much longer than the treatments and first few follows up (which initally didn't come back clear).

Whilst the whole experience was awful, I am now completely fine healthwise, and my husband and I are very much in love and expecting our first child. Smear tests don't hurt, they take about 5 mins and I'm so pleased to see this thread. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get tested. It doesn't matter what the outcome as long as you find it early enough the treatment success is very high. It also doesn't need to change the rest of your life, I didn't let it.

So so sorry about your friend :hugs::cry::cry:

They are VERY important, dont put them off ladies.

I have had my smear 8 weeks after LO was born, all came back normal thankfully.

Just a question - my midiwife has put in my notes that I'll need a post-natal smear.... now after my other two nothing like that had been put down but just with this baby - is this normal? Not that i'm complaining but will they turn it down as i'm under 25?

I've been reading over this a bit and am STUNNED that some of you were unable to get a smear before age 25!! When I was younger it was 16 or sexually active. That moved to 18 recently, but I've been getting them at least yearly for 10 years! I, too, have friends who never go and many of them are current or former smokers--greatly increasing their risk for cervical cancer. Please get your paps done!

On this note, has anyone had a pap come back with hpv?? I recently found some bumpy skin that could be anything--OH and I had a marathon run of BD last cycle since we're TTC--but I began getting scared that it is the wart strand of hpv. Anyone have experience with this?

Its 25 in the UK, its crazy :wacko: you could have been sexually active for 10 years by then!!

In the UK they are just in the process of testing for HPV.......they never used to.

I had a ''boarderline abnormal'' smear 2 years ago and I was scared! I went to the GP and asked if they test for HPV and they said no way.
I had a repeat smear 6 months later and I got a ''normal'' result then.

then when I was pregnant I was due another 6 month smear but they did not do it whilst pregnant and I was worried because I know pregnancy can makes dodgy cells grow even faster, but when I went for my PP smear about 3 weeks ago she said the process has changed, now they test the sample for HPV and if you get a positive result along with any cell changes they send you to the hospital for further investigation, but if it comes back negative for HPV, they send for you in a year (with me having a previous boarderline result)

Ladies, I'm SO pleased to see more of you committing to going for your smears! This is great :thumbup:
I've been away at my parents the last 5days so I'm only responding to people now. Thanks for keeping this thread alive! This is for you and your memory CQ, you will never be forgotten and your beautiful son is a wonderful legacy x :angel: xx

Had my results over the weekend - all normal thankfully. That's me with a bit of peace of mind and done for the next three years.

I've already said it but what a wonderful thread!

I meant to reply to this days ago, I imagine Thomas started crying and I got distracted.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend :hugs:

This thread has pushed me into getting my first smear 3 years overdue. I don't have the results yet but the nurse discovered I have had a probable prolapse so my doctor is referring me to gynaecology.

Thank you for posting this thread x

Sorry to hear about your prolapse :hugs: I hope it's something that can be dealt with easily. I'm really glad to hear this prompted you to get your smear done :thumbup: You can be an inspiration to other women on here who may be putting it off x I hope your results are good (mine too! I hAvent had mine back either) x

So sorry about your friend :hugs:

this has made me determined to ring up the doctors next week and book mine. Im 26 and haven't had one done. I was told after having my youngest, I would have one and never did, so I have GOT to call them. Is there a certain time in your cycle you have to have it done, like in the middle?

I'm glad this has made you determined to go! :thumbup: you can go any time you're not on your period I think. Overall they say that the pre-menstrual hormones make your pain receptors more sensitive so you should avoid uncomfortable procedures (like bikini waxing etc) just before your period. This may be similar for smears so maybe go mid-cycle when you're a bit more lubed (sorry TMI!!) Good luck with it x

Had my results over the weekend - all normal thankfully. That's me with a bit of peace of mind and done for the next three years.

I've already said it but what a wonderful thread!

Great news lil pixie! :thumbup: So happy for you! x

I must have been 26/27 when I was treated for server dyskarosis, which is the the highest grade of pre cancerous classification there is. I was devastated. I rec'd treatment within 10 days inclding a colposcopy then LLETZ to remove an area of my cervix. I was on 6 monthly check ups after that, which have subsequently been downgraded to annual.

…….............

Whilst the whole experience was awful, I am now completely fine healthwise, and my husband and I are very much in love and expecting our first child. Smear tests don't hurt, they take about 5 mins and I'm so pleased to see this thread. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get tested. It doesn't matter what the outcome as long as you find it early enough the treatment success is very high. It also doesn't need to change the rest of your life, I didn't let it.
Thank you for sharing your story! So glad to hear your health is good now :thumbup: Let's hope your story inspires women reading this thread to GO GET CHECKED! x
(ps apologies for cutting a paragraph out of your quote! Can't fit in my reply when quoting a long text on my iPhone!) x

Thankyou for highlighting the need for regular smear rests, I recently lost a friend to cervical cancer, she was just 34 and had been fighting it for the last 4 yrs, and although I go for regular smears I know many women who don't.

Got mine done couple of weeks ago when I had my coil fitted---kill two birds with one stone!!

Got the results this morning and all clear thank goodness.

Thanks for this thread!!

xx

I have one done every year and had one done 6 weeks after LO was born . All normal! So sorry about your friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->