Game of Thrones!!!

I viewed it as rape personally. :flower: One part of me thinks that its just a TV show, there's another part of me though that thinks that this is where Rape Culture gets momentum, like how originally she was saying no (and wasn't wanting it) but he kept going then she relented. Like if you are persistent enough with your rape, they'll just cave in and enjoy themselves.

Although tbf, I didn't get the impression that Cersei was enjoying it.

I didn't get the impression that she was enjoying it, either.

I don't know, this might sound callous, but I feel like it's just part of the nature of the show. There are a lot of disturbing things that happen, so... why would rape be off the table? I know it's a sensitive subject, but it's not exactly a show that sugarcoats things. Just last season you had someone stab a fetus to death, I'm not sure why people are so shocked by a rape scene. I don't see it as "condoning" rape, just as I don't assume the show condones stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach.

Yeah I saw.it as rape but wasn't really shocked by it

I was. :blush: Mainly because its very different in the books. In the books its a different type of disturbing (mainly getting it on while your dead son is on the table beside you :sick: ).

Its true though, nothing is really off-limits in the GoT universe. :haha:

It made me feel a little uncomfortable actually - but in reality no more so than a lot of the other stuff that goes on. Immediately after I said to DH I can't believe he raped her so I definitely viewed it as rape. Think the fact it was next to their dead son on top of the incestual rape was what left me a little taken aback.

I don't really get the backlash against the show. It's like we said with the controversy last week - if you've made it this far with GoT you probably are quite aware you're gonna witness some uncomfortable stuff. If you don't like it, switch it off.

What's with the new accent with Petyr Baelish?! Am I missing something?

Thank you! I came on here to see if anyone else had noticed it :rofl:

Well I was wondering if it was going to be Baelish's twin brother who was a pirate (yes really!) or something... Looks like him but sounds like a pirate?!

Bizarre accent change!

It made me feel a little uncomfortable actually - but in reality no more so than a lot of the other stuff that goes on. Immediately after I said to DH I can't believe he raped her so I definitely viewed it as rape. Think the fact it was next to their dead son on top of the incestual rape was what left me a little taken aback.

I don't really get the backlash against the show. It's like we said with the controversy last week - if you've made it this far with GoT you probably are quite aware you're gonna witness some uncomfortable stuff. If you don't like it, switch it off.

I can see part of the uproar, mainly because rape culture is so imminent. But to play Devil's Advocate I really see both sides. Don't like what the show is doing? Don't watch, don't support.

But at the same time, I also can see how that can be perceived as turning a blind eye to things.

That being said, I really do feel its one of those things. Like on one hand this, on the other hand that and then 25 hands later you're back to where you started from. Hope that made sense! :haha:

I had to wait until I could watch the episode to catch up on the thread and comment.

The scene with Cersei and Jamie. Yeah, it was disturbing, and like others, I can see how if you watch with a certain mindset it could seem to promote rape culture. However, I don't feel like it in anyway made it seem like Cersei was asking for it, but it did show how their relationship is coming apart and that the romantic aspect is ending.

Also, in the book, it's while Cersei's in the sept standing over Joffrey's body is when Jamie first reappears in King Landing, one-handed. She starts off pissed about how he wasn't there at the wedding protecting their son and then jumps a reluctant Jamie's bones. Their relationship has a whole different dynamic at this point in the books with Jamie being the one pulling away.

And Littlefinger's accent. LOL, I almost didn't notice at first. To me, it mostly just seemed a little less refined and cultured, as if he were reverting to how he probably spoke before going to the Capital.

I found the rape scene pretty disturbing at first, more so than the blood and gore etc probably because it's a 'real' thing that does happen far too often, iykwim (as opposed to the red wedding for example, which was horrifying but something the viewer is much more likely to feel detached from). My initial reaction was that it made it seem like if he's forceful enough she'll just give in, if that makes sense? But I think the bit that made me shudder was the fact I was left thinking "was that rape?". She said no and he forced himself on her until she conceded, so yes it was rape, but it was my reaction to it that disturbed me most. Does that make sense?
I've not read the book though.

I didn't get the impression that she was enjoying it, either.

I don't know, this might sound callous, but I feel like it's just part of the nature of the show. There are a lot of disturbing things that happen, so... why would rape be off the table? I know it's a sensitive subject, but it's not exactly a show that sugarcoats things. Just last season you had someone stab a fetus to death, I'm not sure why people are so shocked by a rape scene. I don't see it as "condoning" rape, just as I don't assume the show condones stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach.

I found the rape scene pretty disturbing at first, more so than the blood and gore etc probably because it's a 'real' thing that does happen far too often, iykwim (as opposed to the red wedding for example, which was horrifying but something the viewer is much more likely to feel detached from). My initial reaction was that it made it seem like if he's forceful enough she'll just give in, if that makes sense? But I think the bit that made me shudder was the fact I was left thinking "was that rape?". She said no and he forced himself on her until she conceded, so yes it was rape, but it was my reaction to it that disturbed me most. Does that make sense?

Agree with both of these :thumbup:

Perhaps having been forewarned what happened in the book made me view it differently?
The part that really got me was the dead body of their son lying next to them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6LEgf
https://imgur.com/gallery/VlVLM
https://imgur.com/gallery/eXj5S

Those are amazing! The Sam and Theon ones had me laughing out loud.

That one was good too. :haha: I also cracked up at Arya's photo.

Then you really need to watch this!!
Me and hubby could not stop laughing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

Hope the link works!

Then you really need to watch this!!
Me and hubby could not stop laughing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

Hope the link works!

I LOVE this! There's a deleted scenes one too. Proper clever the way they've done it. I re-watched the first season recently and couldn't stop laughing when the BLR bits came on :haha:

Hi all!
I'm just finding this thread. Another GOT fan here :thumbup:
My sky broke last night so tonight's episode is in doubt :( And I've just started reading the books a month ago, am a third of the way through book 3 and my kindle has broken on me :cry:
Seven hells!! :growlmad:
I might have to wait until I can get the next episode to rejoin this thread. Btw I saw the bad lip reading vid a week ago and I can't stop watching it! It's hilarious! :haha: "powdered sugarrrrr!!" X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->