• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GCSE in Sex?

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
What do you think?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8008994/Teenagers-to-be-awarded-GCSE-in-sex.html

Is this a good idea? Do you think its going to be a help in educating teenagers about sexual health, or are we heading in the wrong direction when we should be focusing elsewhere when it comes to sex education?

I do think that better sex education should be given in school to tackle the shocking rate of teenage pregnancy in britian but i don't think they should get a GCSE for it. It should just be a manditory leason.

The sex education in schools is quite good without needing a GCSE in it. Just because people have info does not mean they will make best use of it!

I don't think there should be a GCSE in sex education. Could you imagine that on your CV ;) Reminds me of something a cocky man would put on there haha!

I do think we need better sex education though, I think it's still quite taboo to talk about these kind of things. I know im going to try and make sure im always open with Jake about these types of things. I would like to feel that he could come to me if he had any questions. Or OH of course.

We need to be open about things and be able to discuss sex at the dinner table ;) Maybe not the dinner table but you know what I mean. I would've died if I had to talk to my Dad about sex. The thought of it now makes me cringe and it shouldn't be like that!!

I found the sex education in school rubbish tbh. The teachers seemed to want to rush through the subject as if it was a taboo subject. They scared girls about teenage pregnancy and the effects it can have on their lives. I am all for educatng but not scaring.

I don't think there should be a GCSE in it. We shpuld bring people in to talk to the children. Real teen mums, sexual health nurses etc people that know what they are talking about and get the message across to the pupils
xx

I agree with Aidens Mummy.

I do think things shouldn't be sugarcoated though. Some of the things that happened to me during pregnancy, I was never told about at school. Ever!x

A whole gcse is sex? I really don't think there's that much to learn! Lol. Unless it's basically a biology/sociology combined course. I really think not!

But I agree that sex ed in school is totally lacking and needs a good kick up the backside!

haha I'd love to have a GCSE in sex.

Can you imagine the chat-up lines they'll start coming up with.. "Hey, I got an A* in Sex.."

Personally I think it's a good idea. As long as it covered the biology, social impacts etc and wasn't just about intercourse and babies.

For example, from 'this is a penis' to 'chlamydia has this effect on the economy'. In fact... I want a GCSE in sex!

how much is there to learn about sex though, i suppose diseases could be done on depth, i dont think i'd like my daughter to choose that gcse.

the school i went to has recently changed into an academy and they banned sex ed!

I do think we need more frank, honest and better sex and relationships education but not a formal GCSE. I think a lot of parents worry about their children losing their innocence if they're taught about sex too early but the way I see it, better that they learn accurate info from their teachers than inaccurate info and myths from their friends in the playground. X

I don't think alot of the things that people need to know about sex aren't things than can be examined in a GCSE, like it would all be about who puts what where and the biology of it all. sex needs to be taught about in context, like how it feels when you love someone, learning about how many people don't enjoy and regret their first time. how to get acess to contraception, how often condoms break in reality because people dont use them properly. Alot more about relationships rather than the mechanics of everything. On the other hand as a 15 year old i had never had a proper boyfriend and sex wasnt important or even really relevant to me and i'm not sure how i would have felt having a huge focus on it at school. on a more light hearted note how embarassing would it be to get an F in sex :rofl:

I wouldn't have even got an F I would have failed because I was pregnant when I was doing my GCSE's :rofl:
xx

:rofl:

Just read the article and you can't get higher than a D anyway! It's not equivalent to a full GCSE.

I don't think there should be a GCSE in it, but sex education is the majority of schools is absolutely pants. It needs to cover more subjects in more detail. The focus is always on hetero relationships. Do teachers and parents not realise that 1 in 10 teenagers has feelings towards a member of their own sex? Should they not be taught that its ok to feel that way? There was NO information at all whilst I was at school about how to have safe sex with another woman - Luckily I only had one partner before my OH, but a few of my friends caught a few things because they didn't KNOW they could catch something. We were totally clueless, and that, imo, is wrong.
At the minute though, teenage pregnancy is a whole different ballgame because its 'normal' for a teenage girl to have a baby now :shrug: I have nothing against young mums and I know a few who are fantastic mums but I do think the world has turned upside down :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->