General chatter while we wait (and commentary on the "pull out method")

Gigs, my surgeon from my csection gave me a consult on this delivery a few weeks ago. He showed me an online calculator on "chances of success for vbac".
L needs a diaper, post more in a sec!

I don't remember the link, but you could probably Google a similar one to help you make a decision. Anything over 60% success is rate is a good number according to him.

As for us: Ls eczema is flaring up again, next week we have that dermatologist appointment for him, hopefully well get at least some answers. Poor kid.

I have a midwife appointment tomorrow ;)

Also: I think someone smoked in this rental before. DH doesn't smell it, but I do. Any advice on how to get rid of smoke smell?

I checked out the calculator...I was a bit confused because it asks for weight and I don't know if it means current or pre pregnancy. It also asks if you had previous "failure to progress or descend" which I did with ds1 but not ds2. Depending on the factors I toggle, I get between 49% and 79% success, biggest factor being failure to progress. :shrug:

Sorry about poor L :( is he itchy, too? No advice on the smell except maybe fabreeze?

Everyone go see Aquaman!!!! Omg the feels. I like want to read his comic now! I don’t even like Aquaman!

Gigs, I think my gyn used current weight. Something about BMI is a factor in your success at this point.
49-79 is pretty good, he said to most women would be thrilled to be 60+. I was 74, and he wondered why I wasn't jumping up and down (until he explained the numbers).
Not that I am a professional, but my guess is that you'd have a good chance to succeed. Maybe even consider a chiropractor to adjust any kinks in your pelvis and back that may hinder babies path.
Here they are quite comfortable with vba2c...

CB he's adorable. So amazing you got all that accomplished right now. I hope Hayden continues to be more calm. Ugh so hard when they are crying and can't calm them.

Keeps yeah I'm used to that for 3rd tri, but pain while peeing isn't normal. I had white blood cells and blood in my urine. Hope your hip eases up some. Also poor little babes. I hate when they are sick especially when so young.

Gigs yeah they did UA but want culture results to confirm if UTI. If blood wasn't from urinary tract then I suppose from vag, but we didn't penetrate the night before as I was going to mention increased discharge and didn't want to hear semen was in my wet prep again :haha: so would be a little concerned if I'm bleeding from there without any "trauma".

I doubt they would stop it now. Granted my waters broke so they didn't stop as my risk of infection would be high. Glad he's made it cooking this far. I'm sorry ultrasound didn't help you make a decision. I haven't been through a C section so I can't fully weigh in. With him being head down and able to progress in prior labor , I would probably try vba2c especially with v delivery having faster recovery. Awesome news on the couch :)

Pacific if baby2 decides to make his/her appearance before 39 weeks will you have DH wait with him in waiting room?? Oh and sorry no advice on getting rid of that smell :(

Dobby yay for new words!!! Also sorry for sucky sleep. We ditched pacifier at 13 months. First night or two she cried out, but thankfully she was fine after that. It was hard, but I understand you don't want to go that route with A. Also your metaphor:rofl:

I've been debating about trying to watch aquaman. We haven't watched wonder woman ir justice league so I'm afraid we might miss something.

AFM ugh had a rough night. I cut my thumb while cutting a cheese log... only me. Wasn't having UTI symptoms yesterday. Woke up at 2 with that urgency feeling, basically dribbled some measly amount out that burned badly. This continued to hurt til I finally fell asleep at 4ish. I called OB office and nurse said maybe yeast infection since my pain comes and goes and recent antibiotics. My wet prep was clear and I'm not having itching or cottage cheese discharge. They want to wait for culture which may come back tomorrow or Friday. I understand it, really I do, but that pain was rough and I need sleep. Got okay to take pyridium for bladder pain, but won't take unless it's bad. I hope culture comes back by tomorrow afternoon.

Anyways, hope you all have a good night. Going to try to nap a bit.

Glad you liked it Fluek haha I was quite pleased with myself haha. The problem is cio doesn’t work on him. He will literally cry for over an hour and still show no signs of stopping. But he’s fine. He got a a fang so I think it’s more that than anything else or the fact he misses my mom’s. Idk So sorry about your finger!

Gigs A only says momma when he is full on tantrum. It’s sad. Lol. He says hi BUT only to certain women/little girls and only at the aquarium. So weird.

No idea re csection. Sorry! I’m not a risk taker at all. 60% scares me so i’d Chicken out lol

Pl sorry can’t help with smoke smell

I am just not helpful lol

I'm with you Dobs, cio is not an option as Lev will not settle if he's decided he's going to cry. And then there's my guilt, so...

Ha, for awhile Lev only said "hi" to the front reception desk at Des' school, regardless if someone was at it or not lol.

Fluek I'm surprised they aren't doing more to expedite your test; I thought UTI's pregnant were a bad thing? Like risky? Anyway sorry about your thumb! How bad is it?

Pl isn't so wild the recommendations on vbac vary so widely region to region? I have an appt with another ob at the practice today so I'll be getting her opinion/advice. I'm going to grab my records from last delivery too and maybe she'll change her mind. She was leaning towards RCS but with this new info, I don't know. We were all assuming a similar sized baby, especially being another boy.

Flueks sorry about poss uti :( So has your pee sample come back clear then?

my scratchy warm pee feeling when i urinate keeps coming & then going, im constantly drinking more water & pepermint tea esp when im bf’ing Hayden, i maje take a sample to my Drs office to test.. also my tummy feels abit tender still & my Although my bleeding has stopped, the stuff thats coming out now doesnt look like normal cm stuff, more bright yellowy brown ick that almost looks browny green on my liner (sorry for tmi) I wonder if i may have a slight infection perhaps hmmm & couldbe whats causing the weird pee pain!

Pacific i hope the Dematologist has some hood things for L to try on his skin bless him, flared up Eczema makes them so miserable:(

Gigs me personally if it was my bod would opt for the elective csection, i dunno.. didnt your Uterus tear in a couple of places whilst in labour with Lev? Id be scared of a uterine rupture & that a massive emergency csection would be needed & then advise no more babies :( of course the last bit is completely hyperthetical but my brain goes into overdrive lol! Its completely your choice, go with what you feel comfortable with hun, what does Hubs think on it?

Hubs is on the fence too. Going to make some decisions based on my ob's thoughts today but there are also some factors that will make the choice for me (like if I am in back labor again, for example).
I tore last time during surgery, not actually during labor. The surgeon reached in the incision with both hands to pull Lev out and his hands tore me internally, ripped te incision downward on either side. They did check the scars on ultrasound yesterday and said all looks good.

Hubs is on the fence too. He was adamant about a c section before but that's without the new info. Now we are wondering if Myles' smaller size may make us a good vba2c candidate.

Boo about the vag ickiness! Yes i would say if it looks abnormal to you, get it checked out :thumbup:

Feeling very defeated. Dr is strongly advising against vba2c. She said "I can't tell you what to do but if I'm the one taking care of you when you got into labor, I'm not going to be happy with you." She also said the nurses are goingg to be upset/on edge waiting for sh!t to hit the fan (yes she actually said that). I appreciate her honesty...but she also told me she had a vba2c a couple months ago that she advised against, and she was upset the patient refused the c section, but she did deliver just fine.

In the end she suggested I meet with another dr in the group next week to get her opinion.

She also checked my cervix and I'm 3-4cm dilated already. I have only ever achieved this after many hours of active labor!

Uggghhh I just wish i KNEW what to do. I don't want to put my baby at risk, but there are so many benefits to him being if I succeed. I just want him safe. I can deal with ramifications similar to last time, even a hysterectomy if it comes to that. But ugh recovery was so brutal...

:cry: this is so hard

I am sorry gigs! It's still your decision on vbac or C-section.
I have agreed to additional monitoring in hospital so that any rupture can/will be caught early. My gynecologist said it's easy enough to catch early. It's a big piece of mind to DH and myself.

Dobby, I wouldn't either in your case with what poor A endured with his "father". I do cio only to a point. I know when she needs me and when she is just fighting sleep which she rarely does. Oh and teething can stink. V does prettt well but this one molar is giving her grief.

Gigs urine cultures take 72 hours I believe to come back. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately. UTIs are definitely bad when preggo, it's another infection if left untreated that can cause PTL. My thumb cut looked about 0.1cm deep so not very deep. I left a bandaid off last night but used some Neosporin. It looked better this morning. Oh and happy 36 weeks.

Oh man what a hard decision to make after ob appt. I think getting another opinion is a good idea. Oh and pretty crazy you are 3 to 4 cm dilated. Me thinks M might come before that couch.

CB UA wasn't enough to say I needed antibiotics. Culture came back today though. If I recall vaginal infections can sometimes lead to pain while urinating. I think it's best you get checked for urine and vag infection.

AFM whelp I'm not insane with this on and off again burning urination and intense urgency. Culture came back positive for UTI. So picked up antibiotics, pain got pretty rough this evening so I took the otc pyridium. Starting to feel some relief. So glad tomorrow is Friday as it's just been busy and aggravating with UTI.

Fluek I'm sorry for the pain but yay for an answer and solution! also forgot to mention your semen in the UA last time made me laugh :haha: as did your comment of Myles coming before the couch! Guess we'll soon see!

Just had a talk with hubs about everything...he's become quite skeptical of doctors and wonders if part of her opinion isn't swayed by the money aspect of it, as csections pay more...i just don't know. There's a lot to think about. I'm hoping the other doctor has a more favorable opinion.

In other news my restrictions have been lifted! All except pelvic rest, so one more week until I get to f hubby again :rofl: that is if he isn't completely repulsed by me at that point :haha:

Gigs I know. I was happy to get an answer. Hehe yes when I woke up with wet panties at 20 weeks ob was like, " "there is semen in your wet prep". Well I did say I had sex the night before :rofl: I do hope he stays put until the couch. Do you have things ready??

I do believe there are some people like that in this world. There are some who are afraid too that if they don't do something there will be an adverse event and looking at a lawsuit. I really am not knowledgeable in vba2c and determining if safe or not.

Yay for restrictions being lifted. Hope DH is willing to perform next week.

I've been researching my ass off and still on the fence. Risk of rupture is so low but the consequences of it are vast...blah.

I am anxious to speak with the other doctor but I am having contractions again today (right now coming 7-11 minutes apart and can't take meds for another 2 hours at the earliest) so I'm wondering if I'll even make it to my next appointment.

Flueks sorry about the UTI. I used to get them all the time and they were absolutely terrible. Hope you get relief soon.

Gigs that is such a tough position to be in. I personally thought the “see if I have back labour and decide then” plan was a winner, but the OB’s skepticism would absolutely throw me for a loop too! But, like you, I’d also question their motivation. I think I read somewhere that in the US they’re super quick to turn to c sections, possibly because of money, or because it’s an easier and quicker gig than dealing with the unknown length and complexities of labour. I’m sure they also are invested in being super super cautious (for liability reasons or otherwise), which easily lead to a preference for the safest approach in their eyes, even if the risk of vba2c isn’t hugely high. I’m sure it’s also easy for them to care less about the benefits to a mum with a successful vbac when they’re focused on these other things. I’d personally be quite disappointed in her response, though. I don’t think that’s good bedside manners when dealing with people in general, let alone hormone-laden pregnant women who are confused and worried and looking to medical professionals for guidance. I don’t know why she couldn’t have just expressed her opinion tactfully, given reasons for why, and then assured you that she would support whatever decision YOU make and ensure that everything is done to keep you and baby safe at every step, since it’s your decision alone at this point. Who the hell wants to go into labour knowing the OB who’s there to care for them throughout it thinks they’re an idiot for doing it. It would rattle me for sure. Anyway, sorry, not to get you wound up or anything, it just kind of upset me to imagine you hearing all that. For sure get another opinion. And I’m with PL — these days the chances of something going tragically wrong with any vbac are still very, very minimal and you’ll have medical professionals around you who are aware of all your risk factors and medical history and will know exactly what to do (even if they want to avoid all that extra work!), so if you did end up needing a c section after all, you’d be in great hands. But having said that, if you’re feeling more at peace with the idea of a scheduled c section, I absolutely understand!

I'm not feeling at peace with either at this point lol. I appreciate your thoughts though, I had another discussion with hubs last night and that thought did occur to me. Also i was bothered that she still had a bad taste in her mouth from her successful vba2c patient rather than giving her any credit for being successful at it.

Side comment, she's also pretty new. She has been at the practice since April and prior to that was in residency. My mom thinks she's just "green" and scared.

One of the things I want to know is how equipped the hospital is to handle a rupture, which requires immediate surgery--is staff & blood on hand at all times if needed? And how equipped are they for handling a baby with potential complications. They have a small nicu with limited accessibility to certain things. The "big" nicu for major issues is at the next hospital over. So any major problem with baby and he'll be transferred there...but that is true for any baby with major issues which can obviously happen in any birth.

After reading literature and studies my biggest fear has become a rupture resulting in oxygen being cut off to baby and causing him to have mental difficulties as a result. Creating a special needs kid due to my own choice. That freaks me out...but even the literature emphasizes the risks of rupture being very low & rare.

I need to read more vba2c success stories, lol! I've thoroughly scared myself for vba2c as well as an elective cs!

Gigs, rupture is usually caught by monitoring babies HB (changes in the HB) and unusual pain in the mother. So if they are properly monitoring you for a vbac it should not be an issue. According to my gyn, they can usually tell by the signs when it is about to happen. Remember there is less then 1% chance of it happening, so 99% chance that it wont. Think positive ;)

To put it into perspective for you in my situation: major complications or anything before 36 weeksweek I need to go into the helicopter, which won't fly during strong weather. Just 2 nights ago there was a mom at 32 weeks in labor and the helicopter didn't fly because of too strong of a rain.

Jez: my gyn and mw have a very relaxed view on vbac or vba2c, and I feel confident in them. The only thing I don't want: mw wants me to labor at home until things are "the real deal" but before transition. We'll have my mom here for L and truth be told I don't want to labor around my mom. DH and mw and no one else who isn't medical.
My mom tends to ask a lot of questions (are you ok? Do you need anything?) And gets easily offended when she doesn't get answers. She wants to 'know the plan" along the lines of what exact time things will happen (like what exact minute will the mw get here? And I don't FING know) nor do I talk while in contraction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->