Gutted work declined my flexible working

3011busyyear

Reaction score
:cry: I'd asked to do full time but two days from home on the basis that I can do my whole job from home, can check emails, transfer my phone, access all dept files from home etc.
My reason was that due to hubby's job changes he will be away a lot so can't drop off and pick up LO from nursery earlier/later than I can get to and from work. So LO will have to be in nursery from 7.30am until they close at 6pm. If I worked at home it would save the two hour travel time each way so she'd do two hours less a day in nursery.

After waiting for 3weeks he said:
I have taken some advice on your proposal regarding working from home and would not be able to support two days per week as this would fundamentally change the nature of your role and would set a precedent.* As you know I want to be as flexible as possible to meet your new situation and would be able to support part-time working as a compromise.
I will contact you next week once I have discussed your request in full with HR.

Part time wouldn't really be that beneficial financially and tbh he made out the role was full time, so basically I would end up doing full time workload in 3days. :growlmad: I didn't even mention doing part time to him. I just don't want to go back at all now. And so what if it sets a precedent...someone has to that's the point of setting a precedent, is he waiting for someone more important than me to set it first :growlmad:

Sounds like my boss and my job! Are you a Civil Servant by any chance? hehe. It's crap hun, sorry. Molly will be in nursery from 7:30am until 6:00pm too because I'm the only one who will be collecting and dropping her off etc as hubby works in Portsmouth. I've come round to the idea, it's not ideal but it is what it is. Really think about part time, it will be in contract so 5 days work in 3, they can go jump.

:hugs: Sorry hun, that sucks. You can probably appeal this decision though. I don't know what you do for a living but it might be worth a try. Good luck. x

That sucks hun, sorry :( Are you going to appeal their decision. You should ask them what category they reason for refusal falls into under the employment act. Not wanting to set a precedent, from my understanding of the legislation, is not a valid reason.

MrsVenn, I'm public sector so know where you are coming from!! :haha: Get me into the private sector!!!!

xx

It's no better in the public sector!!!

Appeal certainly. I am so unhappy with my work i have chosen to not go back.

You have to find the right work/home balance that you know you will manage.

What really frustrates me is that he thinks flexible working means doing either full time or part time, that's it! Part time basically means he still gives me the same job doing the same work but he doesn't have to pay me as much.

Another thing that grates on me is he doesn't work Fridays so he won't be around anyway then, he also works in a different building as do most of the management team the people I will be arranging meetings with work in the next town, so everything is done via Phone and email anyway :growlmad:

That's really annoying for you. I'm a bit worried about when I return as my Boss has recently left. He was lovely and was completely supportive of me wanting to go back 4 days, but I'm not so sure the new boss will be :o(

Don't give up hon,wait and see what HR have to say...its taken me five months ofe managers constantly declining my combinations of requests before they finally gave in last week and gave me three days:....money will be tight (I originally wanted four days) but I don't care,il be with my son :)

Thanks, I'll try and speak to HR tomorrow although the lady who deals with our dept is off this week. Not sure if I have the fight in me. :nope:

The silly thing is is that he is happy to consider part time, so he's happy NOT to have you at work for say 2 days per week, so why can't he not have you there for 2 days per week and you work at home? Same difference and he gets you full time!!

Stupid!!

The silly thing is is that he is happy to consider part time, so he's happy NOT to have you at work for say 2 days per week, so why can't he not have you there for 2 days per week and you work at home? Same difference and he gets you full time!!

Stupid!!

Exactly!!!! He's very old school and basically thinks working at home means not working at all.
I tried to explain to him the basics that 1. He gives me work 2. I do the work....therefore I am working!!

He's also not short of a bob or two so thinking he's doing me a favour offering part time despite me therefore earning less....it's like speaking Chinese to him!

Hoping HR understand a bit more.
Anyone know what business reasons they could give if I can physical do my job from home. I even said that if there was a meeting or something that I needed to be in the office then of course I would go in. I think I'm actually being very flexible :shrug:

Business reasons are things such as 'would have an impact on client relations' etc...there should be a list on the .gov website thingy if you check then you can get ur 'defence' ready lol xx

Hey love, found this on the direct.gov website. It lists the reasons why a business can refuse your request and tells you how to appeal. Hope it helps xx

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_171775

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->