Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

haha thanks lynnikins! cleo has to wear 3 to 4 layers of clothes ad 2 hats and blankets to be warm here though as no heating and its freezing at night, maybe could take a layer off though!

just tell her baby has a stomach the size of a marble so of course she gets hungry quickly!

And keep her by you. Throw a fit about it if you have to! She's *your* baby, not hers. She's had her go. If she wants to help, she can change her nappies, listen out for her and/or cuddle her while you have a bath. But if she's crying and hungry, she needs to go on the breast. If she's crying and needs comfort, the breast is great for that, too. She's spent all this time inside *you* and needs her mummy (and she knows the difference, even in a cuddle - you smell, sound and look like what she wants) when she cries these first few months. If the MIL is there to help you, she should do what you ask, not as she wishes. (Sorry, overbearing people interfering with the mummy/baby drive me mad. Can you tell?)

Are you on FB, Linzi (edit: reading this back, I think I meant Jodie...)? Lactivist, The Leaky B@@b and Dispelling Breastfeeding Myths are some of my favourite places for advice and support. x

Well said manda! Do not think of breastfeeding as nutrition alone!! It's more than food she wants....its YOU. :)

Linzi, she is beautiful!

Jodie, sounds totally normal to me. Like the others have said, her tummy is tiny right now, and your milk is perfectly suited for her, so it easy for her to digest, hence the reason newborns eat so often. And remember she is used to 24 hour womb service, being hungry and having to work for her food is totally new.

Your MIL, needs to back off. You can totally do this!!!

Linzi - she is gorgeous, well done on achieving your home birth, sorry that you had a useless midwife though.

Jodie, some other tricks for keeping baby awake during feeds are:
tickle their feet
Press the palm of their hand with your thumb
blow on their face
basically anything annoying enough to stop them from drifiting off, I always set myself the challenge of getting SOphia to feed for a good 20 minutes then I would lether drift off. Also you LO is coming up for 2 weeks old which is the first major growth spurt so constant feeding is normal. Stick with it you are doing a GREAT job :hugs:

If someone tickled my feet while I was eating Id want to throttle them! :lol:

I used to make circles in amelues palms with my finger tip to try and keep her awake lol

I think my bf consultant told me rubbing circles in the palm triggers the suckle instinct.:shrug:

She is gorgeous Linzi!

it used to be said that tickling a babys feet could send them insane due to the inability of being able to stop the feeling and it being too much

linzi miss molly is totally gorgeous :cloud9:

Jodie, read this. This is exactly what I was trying to say. I love it!

Sam it would make me insane too. I hate being tickled my feet are absolutely off limits. Tickling makes me want to vomit.

I can't anything more but I agree with everything the ladies said Jodie.

Hi ladies!

I was here back in Feb with my last pregnancy which sadly ended with a mmc. I am now 17 weeks and hoping this time to be able to make it all the way and then deliver at home.

I had a home birth planned for my daughter but went 16 days over and being a first time mum caved into the intense pressure to be induced. It was bloody horrible and in my view unnecessary, I suddenly started having very very intense contractions in the hospital independently of the stupid pessary and feel I would have gone into labour then anyway. I ovulated on day 17 not day 14 and I knew their dates were wrong. My daughter was healthy and well and the placenta was healthy and intact. My waters were not there though and noone knows when they had gone!

This time round husband is less sure about home birth but my hatred of the maternity ward before and after labour (delivery was fine, actually) makes me want to avoid the hospital if possible. I am very lucky to live in spitting distance of the hospital so if I need to transfer it should be fast. I still have the pool in my cupboard (my pool was in The Guardian's feature on home birth a couple of months ago, they featured my colleague's birth and I had lent her the pool!)

I really hope to be able to achieve a home birth this time and to have a more positive experience before and after the birth. The epidural failed in my last birth and the gas and air were taken away so I know I can do it without pain relief... I have a hypnobiorth CD on the way and am trying to find a prgnancy yoga class near me that isn't during the working day.

Anyway, I've waffled enough... Hi again, I hope to stick around for the long haul this time!

congrats on your pregnancy becstar!

I wasn't sure where to ask this so just thought I would in here as you ladies seem to be the font of all birthy knowledge :)

My husband and I have been chatting about Molly's birth and we both feel like we need to give some feedback to someone about the way certain things were handled in her birth and immediately afterwards. We don't want to make a complaint as such, I guess we just want some answers, some explanation of why certain things happened and a little apology for the way things were in the end... who would I go to about this?

If anyone is interested I posted my birth story here ---> https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-s...arrival-miss-molly-amber-homebirth-story.html

xx

I would suggest feeding back to the LSA Linzi. Feedback is the only way people can learn and improve their practice in any line of work so they will appreciate it.

https://www.yorksandhumber.nhs.uk/what_we_do/local_supervising_authority__midwifery/

Carol Paeglis is the contact there and you can give your feedback via email to make it quick and easy for you.

[email protected]

Apologies are rare unfortunately because it's seen as an admission of guilt/liability and they don't want suing :? I do hope you can use the opportunity to debrief and get some answers/ closure though x

At best you might get an 'were sorry you feel this way' type of apology! Good luck with the complaint though linzi, you have valid gripes.

+ :wave: Becstar

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->