home births suspended in mk!

Uvlollypop

finally a mum
Reaction score
i have been told that all home births in milton keynes have been suspended for the foreseeable future!!

the nhs have a duty of care for those of us that are having home births, by law they have to do their best to provide someone to deliver the baby. scary to think when i go into labour i might HAVE to go to hospital because there may be no midwifes available better pack that hospital bag!

OMG, that's awful Molly! Surely as you say they have a duty to provide care? It seems ridiculous that there's not enough resources to ensure adequate staffing in midwifery. I mean, it's not as if it's a profession which will ever become unneccesary is it?
Fingers crossed that you do still get your home birth hun.
xxx

Thats rubbish, you want a home birth dont you? have you talked to your mw about it?

That sucks...

Here midwives are not covered under our health care anyways...

Aww hun that well sucks, i hope you do get the home birth you want, fingers crossed for ya hun

yeah def want to avoid hospital if i can slightly pissed off about it spesh cause i went through hassle with the consultants etc..... fingers crossed the staffing issues get resolved soon

Poor you... That's so rubbish. I hope the issues do get resolved in time.

am so tempted to be stubborn and take the risk that there might not be staff to cover me and give birth at home. but its a huge risk to take.
mk labour ward is tiny and i dont want the stress of being sent home or giving birth in a hall way....

Thats stupid! Community midwifes generally only work in hospitals one day a week on average anyway! So does that mean they are pulling all the community midwifes?!?! Hope it gets sorted hun!

I can't believe it hun, you must be so upset. It makes me feel really lucky that my area still does them. I wonder if its a money thing? My midwife told me that she gets paid about £200 for attending a home birth.

they have also suspended all community midwife services at weekends is all going a bit tiitys up!! bum bags.

not sure what to do really apart from sit and wait.....fingers crossed they get their issues sorted

Really hope that the situation improves for you.
I'm hoping for a home birth and it's horrible to think that after all the planning and anticipation that it might not happen.

i have been told that all home births in milton keynes have been suspended for the foreseeable future!!

the nhs have a duty of care for those of us that are having home births, by law they have to do their best to provide someone to deliver the baby. scary to think when i go into labour i might HAVE to go to hospital because there may be no midwifes available better pack that hospital bag!

This happened to me :-( I had someone come out to me at 2pm but not much was happeningso she went. I laboured at home then when contractions came stronger I called labour ward and they had no midwives availible to come out to me! I couldn't stick around, and had to go to hospital, she was born 17 minutes after getting there!

It was disapointing, but I was aware that there was a possibility that it could happen xx

This happened to me :-( I had someone come out to me at 2pm but not much was happeningso she went. I laboured at home then when contractions came stronger I called labour ward and they had no midwives availible to come out to me! I couldn't stick around, and had to go to hospital, she was born 17 minutes after getting there!

It was disapointing, but I was aware that there was a possibility that it could happen xx

its so crap its your right as a women in the uk to decide where you want to give birth. i have a genuine stone cold fear or having another baby in hospital i know for a fact going to hospital will make me more stressed thus my labour will be harder.

can only hope things get sorted otherwise my mother in law will have to stand by with her clipit :rofl:

Hun, a friend of mine was told by a midwife that she had nobody free to come out and so she just stayed at home as long as possible and then went in. She had her baby about half an hour after getting tot he hospital. Although its not what she wanted she was pleased she managed to have most of her labour at home.

I know its alot of money but could you look into the cost of an independant midwife. I know some of the ones here do a cheaper deal if you only require them for the delivery (and meet them before obviouslY) but not for all the checks and antenatal stuff?

i think ill prob end up labouring as much as poss then going in at the last min. theres no way we could afford an independent midwife far to much money we cant even afford a pram right now lol

got to play it by ear from now, there is still time for things to change

Hiya chick,

I haven't heard this and spoke to my MW about my planned HB in MK on Monday. There is lots you can do to get your HB though so don't lose heart and don't give up.

"Women planning a home birth are sometimes told that the local health authority may not be able to provide a midwife on the day, because of staffing problems. If you hold out for a home birth in these circumstances, you may feel guilty that you would be taking midwives away from other women who need them on the labour ward. This is an understandable concern, but it is important to remember that staffing levels are the health authority's responsibility, not yours. You may sympathise with their problems, but remember that “where there's a will, there's a way”. Trusts which are fully supportive of home birth find a way around this problem; so can yours.

While sympathising with the health authority's staffing problems, you can ask what they are doing to resolve their staffing problems. Advertising vacancies is insufficient - perhaps providing their midwives with more autonomy and job satisfaction, for example with the opportunity to attend births at home, would improve their retention of midwives.

If women are persuaded to abandon their home birth plans on the grounds of staff shortages, the health authority will have no incentive to improve its services for other women - so by holding out for a home birth you are helping to improve choice in your area, and helping to make midwives' jobs more interesting - and you are also saving money for the NHS (see below).

Every health authority has access to what are called 'bank midwives', and most use them regularly when they have staffing problems in the hospital. These are midwives who work on a temporary basis, sometimes for just one shift at a time (a bit like supply teachers). Some will be midwives who are employed by the same health authority, who are taking on extra work - doing overtime - and others will be midwives who want to work part-time but who have not obtained a permanent part-time job, or midwives who are currently taking a career break to look after their own children, but will work occasional shifts, or semi-retired midwives. All 'bank midwives' are all fully-qualified midwives. If there was a genuine shortage of midwives on the labour ward then the health authority should always be able to arrange cover on the ward from a bank midwife, thus freeing up a community midwife to attend home births.

In some areas, independent midwives work as 'bank midwives' when they are not needed by their own clients. On occasion, independent midwives have attended home births on behalf of health authorities who could not arrange cover from their own employees. Sometimes such arrangements are made in advance - when people talk of arranging an 'extra-contractual referral' to an independent midwife, they mean that an independent midwife would be booked to attend you, but would be paid directly by the health authority."
( https://www.homebirth.org.uk/ )

You need to speak to Beverley Beech at AIMS ( https://www.aims.org.uk/ ) Mentioning AIMS generally puts the fear of God into them and they fear bad press. Don't let them fob you off. You have a right to choose how you give birth.

Baffled why you've been told this and I haven't though?!

Good luck chick, let us know how you get on.

Jo x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->