Home education/schooling

Have any home ed people done nursery? I hadn't expected to, but we have a Montessori nursery up the road, and I'm considering Alice doing an afternoon or two.

We don't have any Montessori nurseries around here but if we had then I would have considered it. We didn't do normal nursery or preschool because it's basically a feed-in system for school, but I would have viewed Montessori as a good opportunity.

I think one of the questions I'll need to ask is about preparing children for school, as obviously a heavy emphasis on that wouldn't be ideal. I also will run a mile if they us anything like a reward chart :winkwink:

I feel very unprepared, as I was quite convinced she wouldn't go. We'll see.

Oh, and on a completely different note, the Reading Eggs online program sent me a code for people to get a 4 week trial. Alice has enjoyed it, so if anyone is interested, send me a pm, and I'll pass on the code. :thumbup:

Have any home ed people done nursery? I hadn't expected to, but we have a Montessori nursery up the road, and I'm considering Alice doing an afternoon or two.
Bad experience as my son was hurt by a teacher, had to take him out. Long story.
So I got a load of stuff , sandpit and doing up his play room and we having fun here.

Bad experience as my son was hurt by a teacher, had to take him out. Long story.
So I got a load of stuff , sandpit and doing up his play room and we having fun here.

:shock: That's awful!

I'm hoping these things are rare. Hopefully I'll get a feel for the place if we get a visit. I've been doing all sorts at home with Alice, but I feel it would be good for her to widen her circle a bit, and also to listen to other adults. She hasn't currently got many opportunities for that. When she's older it will be easier to let her go off for the day with friends, but as she's little, I can't really expect that.

We went for the conquer maths and are very glad that we did. Not sure where you print out the worksheets or if that's still a possibility but it doesn't really matter as we bought a couple of all round maths books for the year which I think will be adequate for actual written work. The conquer maths each child has their own log in and it's completely safe and child friendly. There are loads of questions for each sub topic and loads of topics and sub topics. Each set of questions is preceded by a tutorial video voiced by a friendly-sounding Australian bloke but this can be skipped if preferred or gone back to and watched again. After every set of questions there's the opportunity to print out sheets showing every question your child answered and what percentage they got right. There is also a parent log in where you can check up on their progress, time and duration of their log ins, change the percentage needed for a pass on a set of questions, etc. They will also email a weekly progress report to you and one other person. For three children it was £101.40 for a year using the home educators discount code HOMEED (conquer maths are happy for this to be used by home educators and given out). Really happy with it so far. We're currently redecorating and getting new furniture for my eldest's room where we do the home ed so other subjects are all up in the air at the moment so knowing at least we have the maths sorted is a big relief xx

I have asked for a section on home schooling but wobbles needs to have a look at the numbers so I hope more will come in here as theres a few home school threads scattered elsewhere and some have spoke up and said they want a section to.

Hand up for a home ed section from me.

This thread will get annoying and I know if i post stuff to share I will lose it again. I was hoping for a section, we could discuss ideas, what we done that day, any questions and share resources. I think it could work but we need numbers to get it.

This thread will get annoying and I know if i post stuff to share I will lose it again. I was hoping for a section, we could discuss ideas, what we done that day, any questions and share resources. I think it could work but we need numbers to get it.

Agreed! :thumbup:

I would love a section! It can be difficult keeping track of everything on a long thread and it would be nice to have a section just to chat, ask questions, share ideas, etc. I would definitely use a section much more than this thread and I'm sure others would too, as it's easier to see things when they are separate threads in a subforum.

I think a a section would be so beneficial to people,already home educating and those planning to :thumbup:
I've also requested one but was told not enough numbers :(

Well with the new idea on the other thread for alternative education that may work?

I like the idea of an alternative education sub-forum, but at the same time there are specific home ed forums out there where you could ask for loads of info etc. Alternatively, it's not hard to set up a wee forum of our own just for home ed etc.

I think it would be a great idea. I know there are other forums for it out there but I find it hard to get ideas and join in at this stage because we are not yet home-schooling. Here there is a lot of help from those who are doing it to those of us who plan to. :thumbup:

I think its a good idea, I think even parents that dont home school want to get involved and could get ideas off it.

How do you start a forum? am I even allowed to ask that here? :dohh:)

We been turned down again for an education type section , not even just for home schooling for everyone. :( So this thread is all we have.

That is such a shame. There are forums for every type of feeding but nothing to do with education. Such a shame. :nope:

I know , I seen forums here with not a lot in them to but there appears to be much less than I thought here for education. There seems to be more for gender disappointment and same sex (both of which I have nothing against) thats why I thought there would be an education one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->